Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
The X/Xs are beautiful.

I'd be curious to know just how late they went before scrapping reverse wireless charging. Be a kick in the pants if the phones shipped with dead hardware inside, be curious if iFixit finds reverse charging hardware that is not being used.

Jdhommert

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
None of this was expected. If you were disappointed, you had unrealistic expectations.
Eh, depends how you look at it or what features we're talking about

The 2 things rumors had pegged for this phone that I was looking forward to were:
1. Reverse Charging (wanted this incase my watch didn't get charged the night before, rare but it happens)
2. 3x Optical zoom (since rumors began with the 3 cameras, one of the top perks listed was 3x optical zoom)

I knew this was going to be a incremental upgrade, and I don't give a damn about what the 3 cameras look like, but Apple not being able to figure out wireless charging even though all the top Android phones have it, and not having 3x optical zoom makes me feel let down by the phone.

I'm guessing I'm still going to use the IUP to get one

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
I'm guessing I'm still going to use the IUP to get one

I have IUP also. The phone costs me the same each month if I keep the old one or get the latest upgrade. I will pay sales tax but 6% is a bargain for the improved features and battery life alone.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
  1. No USB-C port
  2. No 30W Fast charging
  3. No 90Hz or 120Hz ProMotion display
  4. No 5G (Expected but still a con)
  5. No In-Display TouchID

Not disappointed at all

1 Don’t care
2 Don’t care
3 Really Don’t Care
4 It will happen when it happens
5 See # 4

Reactions: 0989382

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
It seems like everyone has forgotten how lackluster things were last year. Apple gave X owners pretty much 0 reasons to upgrade to the XS (unless they were getting the Max).

This year actually isn’t bad at all. You guys are so focused on what’s lacking that you forget everything we did get: Better screens, much better battery life, better durability, better cameras, better Face ID, cool ass frosted glass design and a better charger in the box all sound like good upgrades to me. Not to mention the usual spec bump.

Sure 5G and a new design without the notch would have been great... especially when you walk over to the Samsung side of the phone store but the 11 Pro is still a fantastic device. As an X owner, I’m definitely upgrading.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Suspended
Jan 11, 2018
1. If you think you're supposed to fork out £1,000 every year for the latest iPhone, then you're an idiot.

2. See point 1.

Yasser94

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
  1. No USB-C port
  2. No 30W Fast charging
  5. No In-Display TouchID
1: yay I still get to use the bunch of cables I have in place. (I prefer the water resistance we got over usb-c)
2: well, no usb-c = no 30W fast charging. Same point basically (but hey, love a healthy battery for a lot longer :))
3: do people without a stylus need this on their phone ?
4: Another feature that wouldn't work in 80% of the world for a long time ?(think of the complaints about ECG)
5: I'm glad they put security 1st until the tech is ready for an apple device

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
  1. No USB-C port
  2. No 30W Fast charging
  5. No In-Display TouchID
So basically I felt that they had absolutely nothing to show off apart from the 3rd camera and 10-20% SOC improvements. They had more videos to play as time fillers. Some of the videos were good but that’s that. The whole presentation at any point did not make me “I gotta have this”. I felt this upgrade didn’t need a pompous event such as this.

Also the lack of desktop bridge mode via USB C kills the whole purpose of Pro... I mean the phones even have 4GB of RAM the same... as... 11...

The only thing I wish Apple would have included is on screen Touch ID. I am completely satisfied with everything else this new lineup of iPhones have to offer.

1) The cpu and gpu are outstanding and leading the pack as far as I'm concerned. Additionally we also have wifi 6 now in an iPhone and gigabyte LTE which every user will certainly appreciate.

2) The battery life somehow keeps getting better every year.

3) And the camera is even more advanced than ever before (I understand the hate on the new design, and while I am not a huge fan of it, I understand that it is designed like that for a reason. Apple intentionally designed the camera bump to provide quality over style. And I respect that. I guarantee as time goes on, we will soon learn the specific reason for this modification).

Bigger battery combo alongside the enemy optimisation on the SOC goes a long way.. Don't forget the Dark Mode bonus for OLED.

Momof9

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2018
My 1st iPhone was the X, last year I upgraded to the Max - getting closer to the Samsung Notes.... just hard waiting for pencil support... There is a lack of good stylus out there, especially when comparing to the pencil (I have both gen's of pencil - and love it)>...

kheard73

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2010
Texas
Look at the history, nothing to be disappointed about its a refresh from last year like they always do.....

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Not disappointed at all. I know next year is supposed to be a huge makeover for iPhone but I'm still really excited to pre-order tomorrow morning.

I've loved my XS Max, but there are several things I'm excited for with the 11 Pro Max:

• That camera tech. :eek: I take a lot of photos and videos, so any improvement to the camera system is highly appreciated, and this seems to be a pretty big one
  • Faster CPU, GPU, Neural Engine, etc. Better performance is always a plus, especially when things like the matrix multiplication ASIC (not really an ASIC, but close enough) will allow the phone to do other amazing things in a timely fashion (Deep Fusion, Night Mode, etc)
  • Hugely improved battery life despite the extra performance. 5 more hours on a Max sized phone? Very, very nice.
  • Better display. Brightness took a huge leap with the 11 Pro phones. Same with contrast ratio. Since virtually all our interaction with the phone is through the display, these are good things. It'll be even easier to see outside in bright light!
  • Faster FaceID and better angles. Again, FaceID is used every time I pick up the phone (to unlock), and often multiple times during a session (credential verification, etc). This is also a nice quality of life improvement.
  • Hugely improved front camera. Bumped from 7MP to 12. Also, better video out of it, including the ability to do slo-mo and 4K@60FPS!
  • Better water proofing. Yes, the XS phones were also IP68, but not all '8's are equal. The XS phones were rated at 2m for 30 mins. The 11 series phones are rated at 4m for 30 minutes. That's a big difference.
  • Those finishes! I'm still torn between the Midnight Green and the Space Grey, but those matte finishes and new color are great.

So, yeah. A lot to look forward to. :)

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I'm not "disappointed", but I'm certainly not excited about the 2019 phones. The last time I was thrilled by a new iPhone was when the 6 Plus came out. Man that big screen back then was awesome

TheGreatDave

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
I really don’t think a yearly release of a phone needs to be some groundbreaking event. They’re phones. Nothing major ever changes year to year. Except for the switch to retina I’ve never been blown away

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I really don’t think a yearly release of a phone needs to be some groundbreaking event. They’re phones. Nothing major ever changes year to year. Except for the switch to retina I’ve never been blown away

Right, and we’re also to a point where I don’t think smart phones need to be upgraded every single year, but of course these tech companies will do that, because they need/want to make money and as technology evolves, there has to be a competition cycle. But we’ve reached a point where smart phones obviously have matured where it’s not necessary to upgrade every year, not when Apple provides five years of iOS support and the hardware rarely has issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.