Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KB24Slam

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
Orange County, CA
I've only owned an iPhone since the iPhone 4 and have never considered switching to android until recently. Many friends and family have gotten the galaxy s10+ and they won't stop raving about it. Sure, there are ecosystem things that I'll miss (apple watch integration, iMessage on laptop), but it appears Android and Samsung have caught up in certain areas to Apple's hardware and software.

Is anyone else considering the switch or have you switched recently? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
that’s really good to know. What phone were you using at the time?
lol which time? I switched for the note 7 then samsung saved me some money by having exploding batteries, then I switched to a S8 plus about a year later kept that one a few months over the summer and then sold it and ordered an iPhone instead.

Reactions: ruslan120

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Tried an Android. Not a fan.

No disrespect to Android users, there's a certain level of UI polish that I've become accustomed to. I'm positive Android is extremely capable and even surpasses iPhone in certain areas.

For my specific use case, Apple nailed 4K video and ease of use when syncing to a Mac.

KB24Slam

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
Orange County, CA
Tried an Android. Not a fan.

No disrespect to Android users, there's a certain level of UI polish that I've become accustomed to. I'm positive Android is extremely capable and even surpasses iPhone in certain areas.

For my specific use case, Apple nailed 4K video and ease of use when syncing to a Mac.

Well said. I’m right there with you on having high standards for the UI and UX. I’m most likely staying with Apple but sometimes I wish I could just use a Galaxy or Note and run iOS on it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
As good as s10 plus was and is no....

notifications coming 10-15 mins late on android is unacceptable and them all coming through together is awful and a pain. Music syncing doesn’t work as well and everything doesn’t sync as well. Oh and no Apple Watch support which is a deal breaker for me.

great specs though and work well just a few draw backs that I can’t accept

Reactions: 5105973

KB24Slam

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
Orange County, CA
As good as s10 plus was and is no....

notifications coming 10-15 mins late on android is unacceptable and them all coming through together is awful and a pain. Music syncing doesn’t work as well and everything doesn’t sync as well. Oh and no Apple Watch support which is a deal breaker for me.

great specs though and work well just a few draw backs that I can’t accept

Thanks for the response. You brought up some good points that I didn’t think about, and I agree with you

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Tell us how you really feel?
Samsung apps aren't good and you're tethered to applications you don't want. Your updates are managed by the carrier. All things which don't happen on the Pixel or iPhone.

And yes, Android tends to rot. After a year, it tends to lose performance. The problem is, after 18 months, the Sammy software has made the problem worse and you're stuck with a slow phone which no longer gets timely updates.

Huawei and OnePlus are both better at Android than Samsung. Pixel is Android at its best.
[doublepost=1566045246][/doublepost]
Did the recent info about humans parsing Siri data damage that thought at all?
Here's the thing about that: When we talk about privacy, we understand Apple likely has access to all our stuff but unlike with Facebook or Google, we're not for sale to third parties.

Reactions: dennysanders

travis64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2008
NEW YORK
I pre order the note 10+
I went to best buy to see it and it looks amazing.but after 10mins i got dizzy from pwm same as i did from iphone x.
Looks like i am stuck with the xr for life

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
I will still take Apple over google. You enjoy your Android and don’t get miffed over someone who never will

Wasn’t trolling. I don’t have android. I am fully embedded in Apple and just bought a HomePod a few months ago. A lot of my reasoning was privacy based, and then I read about this issue, and all android folks who say Alexa, google, and Siri are all the same. Reading about the issue didn’t really change my mind on Siri being my assistant of choice, however I wasn’t really sure why. Just asking for others opinions.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Berries-A-Million

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2019
Samsung apps aren't good and you're tethered to applications you don't want. Your updates are managed by the carrier. All things which don't happen on the Pixel or iPhone.

And yes, Android tends to rot. After a year, it tends to lose performance. The problem is, after 18 months, the Sammy software has made the problem worse and you're stuck with a slow phone which no longer gets timely updates.

Huawei and OnePlus are both better at Android than Samsung. Pixel is Android at its best.
[doublepost=1566045246][/doublepost]
Here's the thing about that: When we talk about privacy, we understand Apple likely has access to all our stuff but unlike with Facebook or Google, we're not for sale to third parties.

This hasn't been true in a very long time. My s9+ has yet to slow down after 1.5 years of ownership. I also own a XS Max and honestly the S9 feels more snappy than it.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
My family members with Samsung phones hate Bixby. The speakers on some of the phones have never worked properly even after being replaced. Also, I’m kinda hooked on how my Mac and phone share everything. So much less cumbersome IMHO than what I remember about backing up my stuff to google and SD and phone memory and provider cloud. I source is all I need. Would go pixel if apple were not an option. I’ll never buy another Samsung.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
For about a decade I have switched back and forth .... while owning both platforms most of the time.

Right now I'm using the S10+, and have zero complains.

I'll be skipping the Note 10 and getting the iPhone 11 instead. My last iPhone was an 8+.

I skipped the X and XS out of boredom of iPhones, now I feel the same for Galaxy phones, and Android in general.

I'm hoping I can last more than 6 months using the iPhone as my main device. iOS 13 has me optimistic, and I know what I'll be sacrificing from the Android side. I'll also get an AW again, my last AW was a series 2.

I will still use Google services for syncing my contacts/calendar/etc. And will still use Google Voice for my voicemail.

I personally think you should give the S10+ or Note 10 a try. You might stay with it or go back to the iPhone, but without trying, you'll never experience everything smartphones have to offer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.