Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
So you went from an iPhone to an Android phone looking for issues. Surprise!!! Your comments sound unbiased and well reasoned... right?

My iPhone has constant issues with Safari, messaging, and apps not working, loading, or restarting. Maps comes to mind. But I guess YMMV.

I’m guessing you quoted the wrong person.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I used to go back and forth but I’ve gotten older and not interested in tweaking settings and stuff. I also couldn’t stand the UI inconsistencies with Android.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
We got my Mom her smartphone last year, an iPhone 6. And I'll mess around with it here and there. My god that OS frigging blows. Is her phone running a lower end different operating system than like a new XS Max? It says it's on 12.4 or something, but no way a high end iPhone runs this same OS? It's pure garbage, and so frustrating to navigate around, and just a mess.

Give me stock vanilla Android or OnePlus's Oxygen OS any day of the week. To me the only phones to buy this year are the OnePlus 7 Pro or Pixel 4 XL.

But I will admit Apple designs a beautiful phone, they make amazing devices, and the hardware is always top notch. It's just the OS I can never get comfortable with.

Don't think I could ever go back to an iPhone unless iOS is radically updated, feels like something from 2014.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
We got my Mom her smartphone last year, an iPhone 6. And I'll mess around with it here and there. My god that OS frigging blows. Is her phone running a lower end different operating system than like a new XS Max? It says it's on 12.4 or something, but no way a high end iPhone runs this same OS? It's pure garbage, and so frustrating to navigate around, and just a mess.

Give me stock vanilla Android or OnePlus's Oxygen OS any day of the week. To me the only phones to buy this year are the OnePlus 7 Pro or Pixel 4 XL.

But I will admit Apple designs a beautiful phone, they make amazing devices, and the hardware is always top notch. It's just the OS I can never get comfortable with.

Don't think I could ever go back to an iPhone unless iOS is radically updated, feels like something from 2014.

Nope 12.4 is running on my XS. Welcome to 2014. Glad you could make it.

iMelhado

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2018
United States
I did. I went to the S10+ from iPhone XS. My typical usage remained the same. The battery life was so bad, that my iPhone XS on iOS 13 beta 8 was just as good on iOS 12.4. The S10+ did not deliver all day battery life for me.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The hardware is just ok. That notch is hideous. The most beautiful device right now is Note 10, nothing really comes close.
Samsung's poor update policy more than negates any hardware advantage it has next to the Pixel.
[doublepost=1566836375][/doublepost]
But then that is just your opinion....some of us have other thoughts too :)
There's really nothing lower than countering an opinion with "Well, that's just your opinion!"

Of course it's just my opinion. This is a forum where everyone expresses opinions.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Samsung's poor update policy more than negates any hardware advantage it has next to the Pixel.
[doublepost=1566836375][/doublepost]
There's really nothing lower than countering an opinion with "Well, that's just your opinion!"

Of course it's just my opinion. This is a forum where everyone expresses opinions.
some like to state their opinion as fact......
The Pixel doesn't have anything over any other phone maker other than a great post processing algorithm.
Hardware does in fact mater.....the biggest complaint from all Pixel owners...is the hardware.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Why does it? In terms of hardware, the S10/Note 10 is a million miles ahead of the current Pixels. So they don’t get updated as often, big deal.
In 12-18 months it will matter a lot. You get one reliable update with your Samsung phone and it's about 6 months behind where it should be. After that, Samsung abandons your model. That's unacceptable for a phone of that price. Sorry, it just is.

IMHO, phone hardware is a vessel for amazing software. A Samsung phone is a Ferrari with no scheduled maintenance. Pixel is a porsche with a full warranty.

You can guess which one will run well in 2-3 years.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
In 12-18 months it will matter a lot. You get one reliable update with your Samsung phone and it's about 6 months behind where it should be. After that, Samsung abandons your model. That's unacceptable for a phone of that price. Sorry, it just is.

IMHO, phone hardware is a vessel for amazing software. A Samsung phone is a Ferrari with no scheduled maintenance. Pixel is a porsche with a full warranty.

That's why plenty of plenty of people are finding their Pixel 3 with issues because of poor hardware choices and plenty of people are finding their S9 still run great then.

Reactions: iSilas

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
That's why plenty of plenty of people are finding their Pixel 3 with issues because of poor hardware choices and plenty of people are finding their S9 still run great then.
"plenty of". Non-empirical data. "Plenty of" people (read all) will encounter the complete lack of software support for an 18 month old Samsung device.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Galaxy S8 is already out of software support. Got Pie 10 months late. That's really too bad.

Why should we settle for that?
Android 10 isn’t out yet. So it’s running the latest version of android. My husband got the pie update before the S10 came out for his note 8 and I downloaded the August security update for him today. It’s still getting updates and his phone will be 2 years old in a few weeks.

Some people aren’t settling, they are weighing up the pros and cons of each device and deciding which one is best for them. For some people stock android and getting updates a few months earlier isn’t as important as better hardware and more features.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Galaxy S8 is already out of software support. Got Pie 10 months late. That's really too bad.

Why should we settle for that?
What was missing? Most of the Pie update was already available through the Play store. Google always updates its core apps through the Play store separate to the big revision update.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
What was missing? Most of the Pie update was already available through the Play store. Google always updates its core apps through the Play store separate to the big revision update.
Yes and the note 10 will have to wait a few extra months to get dark mode and desktop mode. Hold on the note 10 already has those features. Even the 'old' S8 has those features.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yes and the note 10 will have to wait a few extra months to get dark mode and desktop mode. Hold on the note 10 already has those features. Even the 'old' S8 has those features.
This cannot be said enough... I love my Pixel...but the hardware is really behind most other flagship phones.
For some people stock android and getting updates a few months earlier isn’t as important as better hardware and more features.

Reactions: MarkX

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

Except you are wrong, my s8 is still getting the monthly security updates and is on Android Pie.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Some people aren’t settling, they are weighing up the pros and cons of each device and deciding which one is best for them. For some people stock android and getting updates a few months earlier isn’t as important as better hardware and more features.

I’d add reliability to the list. I used to prefer stock Android and instant updates with the Nexus and Pixel devices I’ve owned, but I was also seeing that the updates broke things a bit too often. With Samsungs I’m getting security updates typically within the same month Google released them and Google Play Services does its thing. The only updates that are somewhat delayed are the major updates, which with Samsung often having those features already available isn’t that big of a price to pay for the way fewer instances of ”Here’s an update! Now enjoy life with choppy Bluetooth until at least the next round I appear!” than I was having with Nexus/Pixel devices. Sure, Samsung has also released some stinkers, but those seem to occur a lot less often.

Reactions: iSilas

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I've only owned an iPhone since the iPhone 4 and have never considered switching to android until recently. Many friends and family have gotten the galaxy s10+ and they won't stop raving about it. Sure, there are ecosystem things that I'll miss (apple watch integration, iMessage on laptop), but it appears Android and Samsung have caught up in certain areas to Apple's hardware and software.

Is anyone else considering the switch or have you switched recently? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I switched in 2016, for the Note 7 (obviously that didn't go well).

The first year was a bit hit and miss as I was trying to find the right phone for me (ended up with an S7 Edge for about 6 months after using a Moto Z Play for 6 months).

The Note 8 was my first proper one and it has been and still is fantastic. I will be moving to the Note 10 in a few days.

I too was fully into Apple and iOS, had 4 iPhones before leaving and had the Apple Watch (which is the best smartwatch by a significant margin btw).

Samsung watches are I'd say 80% there compared to Apple, they function fine and I only really use it for notifications, but it's not as refined as Apples wearables.

iMessage you will lose, and if many of your family and friends are not on the S10, it doesn't really matter. You can use Messages and have them accessible from your computer, same with apps such as Whatsapp / FB messenger and many other cross device apps.

One thing I would like to say, Android, at least for me is not like Windows. For example, on my Windows 10 laptop recently it would randomly wake itself up from sleep without me touching anything, very annoying at night, the issue required me to run some command line commands to disable something on the machine. With Android I (and no one I know personally) has had anything come up that requires so much technical knowledge, Android is relatively straightforward and I would argue quite close to Apple in terms of "it just works". In fact you can get overwhelmed with various settings if you let yourself!

My Note 8 is 2 years old next month, and apart from the battery which degrades on all phones regardless of operating system, still feels as fast (if not actually a little faster) than when I got it. Gone are the days where a Samsung phone lags after a few months!

I would suggest to, if you have the means, try it out when you next want a phone if you're curious.

Good luck.

Gaprofitt

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
Tried an Android. Not a fan.

No disrespect to Android users, there's a certain level of UI polish that I've become accustomed to. I'm positive Android is extremely capable and even surpasses iPhone in certain area

For my specific use case, Apple nailed 4K video and ease of use when syncing to a Mac.

It's not really UI polish, it's locking down the phone making it simplistic. Some may like that but I like the options Android provides me. Much more customizable. I like doing what I want to do, not what a company forces me to do.
[doublepost=1566908941][/doublepost]

The pixel line doesn't hold a candle to what Samsung is putting out. It's not even close. The screen and build quality is in another league. I don't think these updates are as needed as you state. You add in Samsung Pay and the new One UI, the competition is way behind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.