Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
I've used Macs for years, but not feeling the love from Apple anymore. Too much focus on expensive real estate, hip hop artists, celebrities, emojis, fashion, and political causes. I guess that's what happens when you don't have to work hard to sell one of your products, have a fanatical following, and more cash than most small countries.

I've used Windows at work for the last 4-5 years, Macs for about the 5 years prior, and Windows before that as long as it existed. Also had some OS/2 and Linux mixed in there. So basically I'm not wedded to any company or platform even though I've loved Apple stuff for a number of years.

I bought a Surface Pro 4 about a month back before the announcement of the new one. I loved it. Decided to return it to see what the new model brought. There were three things I didn't love - battery life, sharp edges, and pen performance. They were OK, but the things I liked the least. The new model seems to hit all those check boxes. And being fanless is pretty nice too. I've only been really using Windows 10 for about a month and this was my first opportunity to mix mouse, touch, and pen with Windows. I think Apple is really missing out by not providing a touch screen on Macs. Mixed input modes is very productive.

So now the waiting game until June 15 when its available. I got the i5/8GB/256GB. Anyone else have one of these on order?

Reactions: erpetao and Queen6

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I'm still waiting for WWDC and to see new macbooks. I know a redesign isn't going to happen, but I want that terraced battery, fixed keyboard and some small glitches. And a 15" version without touch bar. If all of that happens, I will buy once again MBP.

But if it doesn't, I'm waiting for Surface Book 2. It will be either that, or something from Lenovo Thinkpad line (best keyboards ever!).

I really love MacOS. That is why I will build myself a hackintosh. I had enough of iMacs (first dust issues, now image retention issues, throttling, etc.), mac mini is dead, and weak computer, mac pro is a joke :(

100% going for hackintosh route. And if MBP fails (at least my expectations), well, I will be completely Apple 'free', and then it's hard to go back. I have used iPhones with Android for some time now. And I really don't plan on purchasing another iPhone in the near future. Unless iOS gets a major overhaul, but I doubt that will happen. Ever.

Apple is like you said, more interested in politics, celebrities and emojis then in tech lately. I really never thought I could even think about switching back to windows, but now I'm more for switching then overpaying for something that isn't as good as it should be :(

Queen6

macrumors G4
Bought a Surface Book last November to replace my 13" Retina MacBook Pro, have never looked back, being a far more productive notebook. Thinking of replacing my Retina MacBook (last Apple product used professionally) with the new Surface Pro. Have simply given up on Apple a provider of serious hardware. The Mac is now just a side project run by clowns, once I would have unreservedly recommend the Mac, these days very much the opposite...

Very much agree I am not prepared to pay premium pricing for products that should be so much more, complementing and enhancing my workflow, not the opposite just so they look good on a coffee shop table...

Q-6

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
I bought a SP3 (i7/8/512) used earlier in the year and I really like it. It comes a bit short when working in SolidWorks (not my main thing though) and the battery life isn't all that great but other than that it is perfect (for me).

However, I feel like the higher end versions are priced a bit outside of what I think it should be so I will not be picking up a new SP just yet. But it is very likely that I will pick one up in the future. Either used or when the prices comes down a bit. They truly are awesome machines.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
there is a new challenger for Surface Pro..the Samsung Galaxy Book 12..with Core i5 CPU and 12 Inch OLED display, great Keyboard and necessary Ports,S Pen and KB Included in box.
more premium look and feel than Surface Pro.
so I'm not sure if Surface Book holds my attention anymore.
that OLED display is just fantastic and a joy to look at.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I have the 2016 SB with Performance Base and love it. It's my most used device. I will probably skip the Surface Pro and see what's in store for the next Surface Book. If there's no USB-C, I will wait for the next generation.

Reactions: Queen6

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
there is a new challenger for Surface Pro..the Samsung Galaxy Book 12..with Core i5 CPU and 12 Inch OLED display, great Keyboard and necessary Ports,S Pen and KB Included in box.
See my comments in your thread on the Galaxy Book :)
[doublepost=1496539201][/doublepost]
I have the 2016 SB with Performance Base and love it. It's my most used device. I will probably skip the Surface Pro and see what's in store for the next Surface Book. If there's no USB-C, I will wait for the next generation.
Why USB-C ports may bring nothing more other than ease of plugging in if they do not have any additional features, its not a given they will be Gen 2 or TB3 for example, else they are equally dongle magnets :D

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008

I took a look at the Samsung Galaxy Book and didn't care for it. The device itself is obviously trying to copy the iPad as it has the same feel to it. The keyboard is pretty bad in comparison to the Surface Pro 4 keyboard, and the new one is better. The Galaxy Book's keyboard feels very flimsy and not is nice to type on... ditto on the touch pad. Also, its attempt to serve the purpose of the kickstand by folding the keyboard cover in different angles is not nearly is good. If it was significantly cheeper than the Surface Pro, then it might be worth it but I don't care for it at all.

The alternative device I seriously considered is the Acer Switch Alpha 12, because its about half the price and pretty similar. At the end of the day, I decided I'd rather pay more and have the real thing.

Reactions: raqball

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah, I have on as well and its very good. The only downside (And i've said this before), is the 13" form factor. Spending extended times using it has gotten harder with my old eyes ;)

Given my usage habits, and needs, I've not done anything about it and I'm ok with that, but at some point I'll need to upgrade to a 15" laptop.

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
I have received the new Surface Pro and really liking it. Its a great device for someone that wants a hybrid tablet/laptop device that runs a full function OS (not a tablet OS like iOS).

Suspended
May 11, 2013
I definitely feel your pain about Apple. Personally I can't afford the new Macs, but increasingly more people who can are also thinking twice before upgrading. We've always being able to deal with getting less specs because the experience made up for it - especially compared to Windows. But these days with such little ports, the abandoning of MagSafe and the better competition from select manufacturers e.g. the Surface line with stellar build quality (and magnetic charger!) More and more people are thinking the same as you.. is it time to jump ship?!

I did, and personally completely regret it. But I don't have the choice of a Mac due to budget.

If the prices hadn't jumped, it'd have been like the days of old: Sure, I'll spend a bit more to get the Mac. But now I find myself thinking..

MacBook Air.. not a great display for the next few years.
MacBook... bit much for a Core M processor
MacBook Pro.. almost double my original budget!

Desktops aren't for me. But I'd imagine the same sort of problems.

Apple are pushing us toward the iPad. For me, it's my path of choice. It won't suit many others for many reasons.

But you say you've used Windows so you know what you're getting into, and I hope the new Surface Pro works well for you. It's the best of a tablet and full OS. And the quality is up there with the Mac!

It's sad to see long term users jump ship, and to feel left out by Apple personally.. but perhaps this era it's entering of mediocre offerings, high prices and too much focussing on the iPad will lead to them responding with more competitive, functional offerings next time around.

They can't ignore the Surface. And consumers definitely aren't, the more popular it gets, the more competitive Apple will need to be!

Reactions: SteveJUAE

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I purchased a new Surface Pro last night. I really liked the idea of a hybrid laptop/tablet replacement and I thought that I would give it a shot vs one of the new iPads. I have to say I am fairly disappointed with it though and thinking of returning it. First up is no cellular, which I knew going in, but it’s more inconvenient than I thought it would be. I know there are work around solutions, but it’s not ideal. The Microsoft App Store is is a bit sparse and most of the Apps not polished. The keyboard is okay at best, often unresponsive to clicks or typing. Sometimes I have to separate and re-attach it to get it to work right. Even the tablet keyboard acts goofy at times, typing caps despite caps not being on. It shows small case letters, still types caps. Touch screen presses often don’t register or seem off target. Can’t find any way to calibrate. Battery life isn’t even remotely close to claimed. Various freezes, lock ups and at least one random shut down. SMS text is not possible? Split screen is often annoying and uncooperative. Trackpad on the keyboard sucks (I know I can use a mouse, but why?).

I have 30 days so plan to stick with it awhile, but the initial enthusiasm is waning fast. Initial thoughts are that it is a better laptop replacement than the iPad (but it’s not a great laptop) and an inferior tablet device. Jack of all trades, master of none. Will keep plugging away with it and see if my opinion changes with familiarity after more time with it.

Edit: I guess the key to me decided to keep or return my Surface Pro is whether or not I determine that it’s hybrid utility over comes its short comings and issues.

Last edited:

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
Thanks for the update. Keep us posted on your thoughts. Good to hear some genuine user experiences.

I've been mulling over getting one for the past week or so. I have no issue with Windows and and know what I'll be getting into, but have a feeling I'll end up regretting not getting another Mac despite having to pay through the nose for it.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I think an LTE version is coming later in the year...

I had the SP4 briefly and sold it after a few weeks.. I did not dig the form factor and I did not dig the smaller screen. The KB was fine but like you I did have to disconnect it a few times due to it not responding..

I only used it in tablet mode a few times and was not really impressed.. If the form factor suits you and you decide to return the SP you might take a look at a Surface Book... Larger screen, much better KB and still has the same abilities for the most part as the SP. The only bummer with the SB is that I do not believe you can get an LTE option if that's important..

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I think an LTE version is coming later in the year...

I had the SP4 briefly and sold it after a few weeks.. I did not dig the form factor and I did not dig the smaller screen. The KB was fine but like you I did have to disconnect it a few times due to it not responding..

I only used it in tablet mode a few times and was not really impressed.. If the form factor suits you and you decide to return the SP you might take a look at a Surface Book... Larger screen, much better KB and still has the same abilities for the most part as the SP. The only bummer with the SB is that I do not believe you can get an LTE option if that's important..

The other issue with the Surface Book is that it has no ports in tablet mode, so cannot be attached to a projector as far as I know. At least that’s my understanding from my visit to the MS store, which was why I chose the Surface Pro. That and it only gets about 4 hours (claimed) battery life in tablet mode, which means it probably gets between 2 and 3.

I am not giving up yet though. Don’t want to be hasty in the decision :)

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
The other issue with the Surface Book is that it has no ports in tablet mode, so cannot be attached to a projector as far as I know. At least that’s my understanding from my visit to the MS store, which was why I chose the Surface Pro. That and it only gets about 4 hours (claimed) battery life in tablet mode, which means it probably gets between 2 and 3.

I am not giving up yet though. Don’t want to be hasty in the decision :)

As far as your no SMS goes you have a few options to accomplish this..

You can download Cortana to your phone and after getting everything situated you can use Cortana on the PC to send SMS.. This is a silly option to me..

What I use is Pushbullet and it works fantastic! I have an Android Phone and Win 10 Pro...

https://www.pushbullet.com/

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
As far as your no SMS goes you have a few options to accomplish this..

You can download Cortana to your phone and after getting everything situated you can use Cortana on the PC to send SMS.. This is a silly option to me..

What I use is Pushbullet and it works fantastic! I have an Android Phone and Win 10 Pro...

https://www.pushbullet.com/

I will give that a shot. They told me at the MS Store to try MySMS, but the phone app is only for Android, so that was a deal breaker :)

I have a MBP laptop and an iMac, but those are more for personal use. I wanted to use the tablet strictly for business. I had purchased a 9.7 iPad Pro last year, but found the keyboard cover too small vs the 12.9. So my original plan was to wait for the upgraded 12.9”, but in the meantime became interested in the new Surface Pro. I have no real issues with Windows itself, but I think maybe the idea of the Surface Pro is better than the actual device.

That said I don’t have my back against the wall where the device is mission critical, I have another laptop and still have my 9.7 iPad Pro, so I can play with it for awhile before deciding on this vs the 12.9 iPad.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Pushbullet works fantastic and it's iOS compatible...

It's completely free for SMS, phone and a few other things but you do have to pay if you want copy and paste functionality between the devices..

When I get an SMS or a phone call on my phone my Win 10 machine instantly alerts me. You can answer the call on the PC, respond to the SMS or create new conversations..

Give it a try, I think you'll like it..

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Pushbullet works fantastic and it's iOS compatible...

It's completely free for SMS, phone and a few other things but you do have to pay if you want copy and paste functionality between the devices..

When I get an SMS or a phone call on my phone my Win 10 machine instantly alerts me. You can answer the call on the PC, respond to the SMS or create new conversations..

Give it a try, I think you'll like it..

Been trying to use it, but I constantly get a “not responding” error trying to update to Pushbullet v396 in Windows 10. I have an email into hey@pushbullet.com. Hopefully they can help me sort it :)

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Not sure, hopefully they can help you out.. I've never had a single issue with Pushbullet on Windows or Android..

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I just uninstalled from my PC and did a fresh install.. It updated to v396 almost instantly.. Took a few seconds of the progress bar then done..

I assume you've tried to remove it and reinstall? Sounds like something is either stuck or maybe you had a bad download?

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I just uninstalled from my PC and did a fresh install.. It updated to v396 almost instantly.. Took a few seconds of the progress bar then done..

I assume you've tried to remove it and reinstall? Sounds like something is either stuck or maybe you had a bad download?

That’s actually what worked for me as well. Rebooted because the uninstall also appeared stuck, uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled and if went fine.

That said, it still doesn’t mirror my texts from my phone. Am I misunderstanding what it is supposed to do?

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
It mirrors mine on Android.. Not sure on iOS as I've never tried it on an iPhone.. It should mirror them just fine unless that's an iOS limitation.. Maybe double check all the iOS app and Win 10 program settings?

Sorry I can't be of more help but I've never tried Pushbullet on iOS..

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
I purchased a new Surface Pro last night. I really liked the idea of a hybrid laptop/tablet replacement and I thought that I would give it a shot vs one of the new iPads. I have to say I am fairly disappointed with it though and thinking of returning it. First up is no cellular, which I knew going in, but it’s more inconvenient than I thought it would be. I know there are work around solutions, but it’s not ideal. The Microsoft App Store is is a bit sparse and most of the Apps not polished. The keyboard is okay at best, often unresponsive to clicks or typing. Sometimes I have to separate and re-attach it to get it to work right. Even the tablet keyboard acts goofy at times, typing caps despite caps not being on. It shows small case letters, still types caps. Touch screen presses often don’t register or seem off target. Can’t find any way to calibrate. Battery life isn’t even remotely close to claimed. Various freezes, lock ups and at least one random shut down. SMS text is not possible? Split screen is often annoying and uncooperative. Trackpad on the keyboard sucks (I know I can use a mouse, but why?).

I have 30 days so plan to stick with it awhile, but the initial enthusiasm is waning fast. Initial thoughts are that it is a better laptop replacement than the iPad (but it’s not a great laptop) and an inferior tablet device. Jack of all trades, master of none. Will keep plugging away with it and see if my opinion changes with familiarity after more time with it.

Edit: I guess the key to me decided to keep or return my Surface Pro is whether or not I determine that it’s hybrid utility over comes its short comings and issues.

Well you have a lot going on there. My experience is quite different so not sure if you have a defective product, just not giving yourself time to train to it, or I don't know what the other choice is.

LTE version you should have known wasn't included... that model is coming a few months out. If you really want that, there are other OEM Surface Pro alternatives that have it.

You can run any Windows app, so the App Store is not your only option. If you are looking for an iOS / Android app world to live in, then you won't be happy today with the Surface line. I am not looking for that, but do want to have full function apps.

I have not experienced any of the keyboard issues you are talking about and never had to detach / reattach it. I find it works just as well as my Apple stuff for my use. And when I'm at my desk, I have it dedicated as a note taking tablet and don't use the type cover anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.