Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Historically I have fared well with Apple over the years, including the new MBP, which I know an unusually high number of people seem to have had trouble with. Mine has been perfect out of the box.

I think I have had to exchange 1 MacBook Air and a couple of iPods through their generations, but between my wife and I we have had countless numbers of iPods, iPhones, iPads, MacBook Pros, iMac, Mac Pro's, Apple Watches, Apple TV's, etc. She had a 40GB Gen 3 iPod that just finally died this year. My 160GB iPod Classic is still kicking, knock on wood :)

The last device I had this many returns with within such a short span was the GoPro Hero 4, the last laptop I had so much trouble with was HP back in the mid 2000's. I guess I was probably due to run into a trouble streak.

On the bright side I am getting very efficient with the setup procedure with all my apps and accounts. It takes me less time every setup! :D

Hopefully your sister fairs well with the Surface Laptop. At least in general, it seems that electronics either fail early or last years. I am keeping my fingers crossed for this one falling into the later category.
Ditto :)

My sisters Surface laptop set-up went fine and transitioning to Win10 Pro from Win10S was 2 clicks and 10 mins :)

Only thing we found was Hello worked better ie 100% by re doing the recognition, as the setup one was flaky and she is very happy she did not opt for the rMB even though she has an Ipad and Iphone

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Good luck is all i can say. I used surface pros (both the 3 and the 4) at work between 2013 and 2016 until i simply had a gut-full of bugs, reliability problems and the general Microsoft attitude.

I'd rather crawl to work over broken glass than go back.

Firmware bugs, software bugs, complete lack of touch friendly applications on the Windows store, malware, microsoft's mandatory update policy, microsoft's mandatory telemetry, the data collected, etc.

Nope.

Edit:
Oh yeah, in my experience the battery life I got with my SP3 and SP4 was between 2 and 4 hours most of the time. A long way off what I'd expect with any of my apple devices. Even my 2011 MBP 15 was better.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Good luck is all i can say. I used surface pros (both the 3 and the 4) at work between 2013 and 2016 until i simply had a gut-full of bugs, reliability problems and the general Microsoft attitude.

I'd rather crawl to work over broken glass than go back.

Firmware bugs, software bugs, complete lack of touch friendly applications on the Windows store, malware, microsoft's mandatory update policy, microsoft's mandatory telemetry, the data collected, etc.

Nope.

Edit:
Oh yeah, in my experience the battery life I got with my SP3 and SP4 was between 2 and 4 hours most of the time. A long way off what I'd expect with any of my apple devices. Even my 2011 MBP 15 was better.

I have been off to a rough start, but hope to have a bit better long term luck. I am not about to give up any of my Apple devices, with the exception of the iPad Pro, if this experiment works out. I love all of my Apple devices, including the iPad Pro, but the IPP just comes up a bit short of what I would like it to be. As a result, it is the least used Apple product I own.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
My sisters Surface laptop set-up went fine and transitioning to Win10 Pro from Win10S was 2 clicks and 10 mins :)
Ah!! Your sister got the Surface Laptop? That's so cool! I played with one in Best Buy and thought it was stellar.

I'd legitimately consider one for myself if it had a dedicated GPU and quad core processor. Fingers crossed for a Surface Book 2 later this year.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Ah!! Your sister got the Surface Laptop? That's so cool! I played with one in Best Buy and thought it was stellar.

I'd legitimately consider one for myself if it had a dedicated GPU and quad core processor. Fingers crossed for a Surface Book 2 later this year.
Yes she's retired and just runs a charity so its great for her usage and the screen plus KB won her over the rMB

I just happened to be in UK and set it up for her ie swapped all her files etc over

Reactions: v0lume4 and raqball

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Having used the surface type covers extensively (with both my SP3 and SP4), i can't wait until the first couple of months are over and the reports of the alcantera stuff wearing off come flooding in. It's not replaceable.

In my experience with the type covers, i'd wear a patch near the space bar off within a month or two of using it - i went through a phase of getting rid of everything i could off my desk and was working from an SP3/SP4 with no desk phone (replaced by VOIP software), monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.

I can not see a full keyboard made of that stuff looking too flash after a few months - unless the user barely ever uses that keyboard and just plugs into an external all the time.

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
Having used the surface type covers extensively (with both my SP3 and SP4), i can't wait until the first couple of months are over and the reports of the alcantera stuff wearing off come flooding in. It's not replaceable.

In my experience with the type covers, i'd wear a patch near the space bar off within a month or two of using it - i went through a phase of getting rid of everything i could off my desk and was working from an SP3/SP4 with no desk phone (replaced by VOIP software), monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.

I can not see a full keyboard made of that stuff looking too flash after a few months - unless the user barely ever uses that keyboard and just plugs into an external all the time.

Or... that is the look people are going for. If someone really doesn't like it then they can get one of the type covers that doesn't have the fabric coating on it. I'm going to see how it goes... I tend to be pretty messy sometimes when traveling, especially on a plane where I'm trying to eat and work.

Reactions: raqball

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Some people have had typecovers for years with no issues and others have had issues after a few months. It all depends on the user I suppose...

On the bright side, they are cheap to replace if it gets ugly looking over time..

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Some people have had typecovers for years with no issues and others have had issues after a few months. It all depends on the user I suppose...

On the bright side, they are cheap to replace if it gets ugly looking over time..

I was reading an article about the Alcantara keyboard wear, I believe it was on Windows Central, where it stated that Microsoft was encouraging users who experienced unusual wear to reach out to them. Apparently it does happen in some circumstances, but apparently not the standard or expected experience.

Long story short, if it wears too quickly or poorly, reach out and contact Microsoft.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

My 18 month old SP4 KB is perfect so is my sons 12 month old one so YMMV

As the SP you can opt for new or SP4 KB there should be no issue the SL considering it's base concept is for students I think the material is far more durable than most think.

Given its even used on steering wheels and gear knobs which should see far more sweaty contact than the palm rest areas I'm far more optimistic than you :)

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe

The standard Surface Pro type covers are not made of Alcantara. Alcantara is a more expensive and more premium product. Comparing your type covers to Alcantara therefore makes no sense.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I have had a few luxury and supercars in my time and for some annoying reason they tend to want to use Alacantara for things like wheels and handbrakes. It's not as hardwearing as leather and id never call a FAUX suede product "premium".

It does however grip well which is why i would assume they have used it, not for a premium feel/look.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
The standard Surface Pro type covers are not made of Alcantara. Alcantara is a more expensive and more premium product. Comparing your type covers to Alcantara therefore makes no sense.

I agree the 2 materials can't really be compared. How long have the Alcantara KB been out for the SP4? At least a year I'd think and while there are a few reports of wear to them, there are not many..

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I agree the 2 materials can't really be compared. How long have the Alcantara KB been out for the SP4? At least a year I'd think and while there are a few reports of wear to them, there are not many..

From what I understand from some of the few reviews where people have said theirs has worn prematurely, Microsoft has responded asking people to reach out for them, saying that isn’t the norm.

I know it’s definitely been used in cars for awhile and seems to hold up well there, but of course like powder coating and other processes, it often comes down more to quality of application than the material itself.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
From what I understand from some of the few reviews where people have said theirs has worn prematurely, Microsoft has responded asking people to reach out for them, saying that isn’t the norm.

I know it’s definitely been used in cars for awhile and seems to hold up well there, but of course like powder coating and other processes, it often comes down more to quality of application than the material itself.

I think some of it boils down to common sense. If a mechanic who just did an engine overhaul uses it with oil and grease and over their hands then what else is to be expected? Same if someone has heavy lotion or makeup on their wrists or hands and then rest them on the KB or deck area... Others like to snack on greasy and food colored items (like chips) then wonder why it stained?

I don't know how well it will hold up over time but users need to use some common sense as well...

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
Yes, I'm absolutely getting one and its the first piece of tech I've looked forward to for a while. :)

That's exactly the way I felt! The last computer I got that I was excited about was my MacBook Air, which was about 8 years ago. The Surface Pro is such a change to how I've used a computer its been a blast to get to know it. I've never had pen or touch on a computer, so two new input modes to adapt to my workflow. What's sad is that so many Apple fans dismiss the Surface Pro without ever realizing what they (and the other products in the market it created for detachable keyboard computers) are capable of; because Apple has determined that people don't need this tech.
[doublepost=1499435467][/doublepost]
I think some of it boils down to common sense. If a mechanic who just did an engine overhaul uses it with oil and grease and over their hands then what else is to be expected? Same if someone has heavy lotion or makeup on their wrists or hands and then rest them on the KB or deck area... Others like to snack on greasy and food colored items (like chips) then wonder why it stained?

I don't know how well it will hold up over time but users need to use some common sense as well...

I agree... so many things do come down to common sense. On the plus side, these keyboards may cause people to not snack on junk food quite as much!

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
What's sad is that so many Apple fans dismiss the Surface Pro without ever realizing what they (and the other products in the market it created for detachable keyboard computers) are capable of; because Apple has determined that people don't need this tech.

They are getting less and less though as people get fed up with Apple and realize Windows has come a long ways and that its not nearly as bad as the Apple fans make it out to be. I'd go so far to say that Windows is currently the better and more stable OS..

Of course there are still some who'd buy an Apple rock and proclaim it to be the best rock ever as long as it had an Apple logo on it... LOL

Reactions: convergent

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

Cleaning methods are probably a factor too. It is a 68% Polyester/ 32% Polyurethane blend. They recommend using a slightly damp cloth and a high quality terrycloth or microfiber towel. But you can never account for the folks who will use windows and paper towels or a magic eraser or the likes on it :)
[doublepost=1499441350][/doublepost]
That's exactly the way I felt! The last computer I got that I was excited about was my MacBook Air, which was about 8 years ago. The Surface Pro is such a change to how I've used a computer its been a blast to get to know it. I've never had pen or touch on a computer, so two new input modes to adapt to my workflow. What's sad is that so many Apple fans dismiss the Surface Pro without ever realizing what they (and the other products in the market it created for detachable keyboard computers) are capable of; because Apple has determined that people don't need this tech

You know, I went out and purchased a 12.9" iPad Pro as well, for the sake of comparison. It was exciting unboxing it and setting it up, but the more I used it the more underwhelmed I became and kept reaching for the Surface Pro. It was good to do for comparison purposes, but the 12.9" IPP is going back :)

Edit: Primarily what I was trying to determine was, why was my iPad my least used iDevice. Was it because I never liked using the ASK with the smaller 9.7? Was it because the screen was too small? Or was it because the iPad just didn't do much for me. In the end, after playing with the 12.9 for a few days and trying the ASK with the larger screen, I determined it was still something I wouldn't really use and got annoyed with how often I found myself reaching for my MBP instead.

Last edited:

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Cleaning methods are probably a factor too. It is a 68% Polyester/ 32% Polyurethane blend. They recommend using a slightly damp cloth and a high quality terrycloth or microfiber towel. But you can never account for the folks who will use windows and paper towels or a magic eraser or the likes on it :)

I always use the Windex Electronics Wipes. They work great and don't leave a nasty film behind. Been using them on my Surface Laptop for daily wipe down (OCD) and no issues thus far when wiping down the Alcantara...

https://www.amazon.com/Windex-70227...41568&sr=8-2&keywords=windex+electronic+wipes

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I always use the Windex Electronics Wipes. They work great and don't leave a nasty film behind. Been using them on my Surface Laptop for daily wipe down (OCD) and no issues thus far when wiping down the Alcantara...

https://www.amazon.com/Windex-70227...41568&sr=8-2&keywords=windex+electronic+wipes

Cool, I have a can of that Windows Electronics spray, but I haven’t tried the wipes.

I figured when it came time to clean the Alcantara, I would try the Motorex Helmet Care spray I already have for cleaning the lining and pads of my motorcycle helmet. I think the materials are similar enough :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.