Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2021
i have never used the SE 1st Gen before but my 12 Pro Max once got so hot it turned off automatically...i was charging via Magsafe while using Facetime and i had low Cellular Signal.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
The obvious solution is to keep the phone in a case to avoid metal to skin contact.

A phone produces a lot of frequencies from internal components, cell phone signals, etc. In very rare cases they can make individuals very sick, so skin issues sound certainly possible.

Reactions: sorgo †

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My 11 Pro used to super heat apparently randomly. I have had lots of phones get really hot for various reasons and they always hurt my hands pretty badly but I don’t have permanent tissue damage. I just have normal hands with a slightly above average sensitivity to heat, at least compared to other people and even other women I know. Nobody with normally functioning nerve endings can comfortably hold onto something that’s really hot. And some people may find more discomfort from heat and you may just be like me in that regard, if you are being serious about this.

I got a hand mangled in an accident and life threatening infection set in and I had to have extensive surgery to save my hand and the pain from that bothered me less than holding an overheating iphone. Seriously, the hospital was offering me morphine or something and I was waving them away. I could feel the pain but could tune it out. Same with the pain from a brown recluse bite.

But I’m a big baby about overheating iPhones. I’ll toss it to my husband and ask him to make it stop. The 11 Pro was always just doing that and it would get too hot to hold and the pain would make me panic. I can’t stand to touch railings heated by the sun. I hate touching anything like that, not even wooden railings on a deck. I’m a huge baby about that. It has nothing to do with tissue damage. It’s what your nervous system is sensitive to.

• Haha
Reactions: AdamNC

imoger

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2023
yeah

Just tryna get some answers to why my hands are now messed up and trying to find if theres anyone else who's had the same thing happen to them. Its been a couple of years now and its been life changing in terms of what i can do with my hands and using electrical items as everything burns now.
Hi there,
I was looking for an explanation or rather the cause for whats happening to my hand and stumbled over this thread. Can you tell me more about your symptoms? My right hand (i am right handed) gets red, swollen and burns which feels like a second degree burn. It also turns blue when it gets cold (its not raynaud syndrom). I went to several doctors, we ran several tests but everything seems to be fine. Even the doctors are confused because they can see that something is wrong. I am not sure if there's a correlation here but Ive been experiencing this ever since i've got my Iphone 11, which is my first iPhone ever.

Greetings from Germany :)

• Haha

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
Hi there,
I was looking for an explanation or rather the cause for whats happening to my hand and stumbled over this thread. Can you tell me more about your symptoms? My right hand (i am right handed) gets red, swollen and burns which feels like a second degree burn. It also turns blue when it gets cold (its not raynaud syndrom). I went to several doctors, we ran several tests but everything seems to be fine. Even the doctors are confused because they can see that something is wrong. I am not sure if there's a correlation here but Ive been experiencing this ever since i've got my Iphone 11, which is my first iPhone ever.

Greetings from Germany :)
How boring must be to roll with a lame troll thread for half a year.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Look i love my iphone and i probably wont switch back to android. So you can chill out. Im just looking for possible answers.
I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope your doctors can figure this out. I empathize as I had some medical issues that took several years to get a diagnosis for despite them being very straightforward and common!

The ones I have now involving technology are migraine related. Though I did have a weird pain issue with the original Airpods that only a very few other people had. The second version fortunately gave me no problems.

With your hand problem, are you feeling the phone running unusually hot when you experience it?

Do you primarily work and live in a low carrier signal area?

I may be mistaken so it bears fact checking, but if I remember correctly, if your cell signal is weak then the RF emission from your phone will be higher. I don't expect this will "cook" your hand, but there are some concerns some people have about safety. The guidance that came with my own Samsung phones was to keep phones off of one's body when not in use, as in Samsung didn't recommend storing phones in our pockets. Samsung phones at the time I was first made aware of cellular radiation concerns were rated well for radiation emissions and iPhones rated poorly. This was several years ago.

It's all very controversial, especially on this forum, unfortunately. It's largely thought that the radiation from our cell phones is non ionizing and therefore safe.

Here are some links to get you started to learn more about Cell phone radiation:

I wonder if what you're experiencing is less along the lines of heat or radiation induced and more along the lines of nerve irritation due to the considerable weight and bulk of your phone.

I know that when my carpal tunnel type pain has been exacerbated by my computer use or my yard and housework, the joints and nerves of my hands are considerably inflamed by the weight of my large and heavy iPhones.

I wish you all the best on your search for answers. Please keep us posted here on any answers you find.

• Haha

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Got to love trolls. I wonder how many trolls on here are MS or Google employee's?

‘I am not so sure the OP is a troll. Sounds more like he is having some medical issues not related to the phone. In the OP’s mind they are real.

imoger

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2023
I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope your doctors can figure this out. I empathize as I had some medical issues that took several years to get a diagnosis for despite them being very straightforward and common!

The ones I have now involving technology are migraine related. Though I did have a weird pain issue with the original Airpods that only a very few other people had. The second version fortunately gave me no problems.

With your hand problem, are you feeling the phone running unusually hot when you experience it?

Do you primarily work and live in a low carrier signal area?

I may be mistaken so it bears fact checking, but if I remember correctly, if your cell signal is weak then the RF emission from your phone will be higher. I don't expect this will "cook" your hand, but there are some concerns some people have about safety. The guidance that came with my own Samsung phones was to keep phones off of one's body when not in use, as in Samsung didn't recommend storing phones in our pockets. Samsung phones at the time I was first made aware of cellular radiation concerns were rated well for radiation emissions and iPhones rated poorly. This was several years ago.

It's all very controversial, especially on this forum, unfortunately. It's largely thought that the radiation from our cell phones is non ionizing and therefore safe.

Here are some links to get you started to learn more about Cell phone radiation:

I wonder if what you're experiencing is less along the lines of heat or radiation induced and more along the lines of nerve irritation due to the considerable weight and bulk of your phone.

I know that when my carpal tunnel type pain has been exacerbated by my computer use or my yard and housework, the joints and nerves of my hands are considerably inflamed by the weight of my large and heavy iPhones.

I wish you all the best on your search for answers. Please keep us posted here on any answers you find.
Thank you so much for your reply!

I live in Berlin so the signal here is pretty good. My phone doesnt get hot, at least not enough to cook my hand and if it gets warmer, ill just put it away. Since i'm looking for a reason why i am experiencing all of this I've found some articles that say that the radiation of the iPhone 11 Pro might be much higher than other iPhone models and apparently there was a lawsuit which got dropped in 2020.

Out of curiosity I just ordered a radiation detector just to check the levels of my phone.

Of course i am considering other causes apart from my iphone frying my hand but since this is a forum for apple related topics, i guess this was my best chance to maybe find some answers or someone else who suffers from it.

I've seen 18 doctors (several GP's, dermatologists, rheumatologists, angiologists ect.) and none of them suggested that it could be nerve- rather vascular related) I'll keep you updated on my journey and if ill ever find some remedy that helps me from going through this pain, since it really restricts me in my daily life. Maybe someone who's suffering from whatever i have, is also looking for answers might find this helpful. :)

• Haha
Reactions: AdamNC and 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Thank you so much for your reply!

I live in Berlin so the signal here is pretty good. My phone doesnt get hot, at least not enough to cook my hand and if it gets warmer, ill just put it away. Since i'm looking for a reason why i am experiencing all of this I've found some articles that say that the radiation of the iPhone 11 Pro might be much higher than other iPhone models and apparently there was a lawsuit which got dropped in 2020.

Out of curiosity I just ordered a radiation detector just to check the levels of my phone.

Of course i am considering other causes apart from my iphone frying my hand but since this is a forum for apple related topics, i guess this was my best chance to maybe find some answers or someone else who suffers from it.

I've seen 18 doctors (several GP's, dermatologists, rheumatologists, angiologists ect.) and none of them suggested that it could be nerve- rather vascular related) I'll keep you updated on my journey and if ill ever find some remedy that helps me from going through this pain, since it really restricts me in my daily life. Maybe someone who's suffering from whatever i have, is also looking for answers might find this helpful. :)
Wow, thank you for sharing this information. The Forbes article probably does present the best cautionary attitude towards the findings and how to interpret the data. However, the second one is a site looking to stir up lawsuit business so it's not really informative.

I wish you all the best in finding the cause of your suffering. And please do continue to update us.

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.