Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
For the past couple of weeks or so, I’ve been having streaming issues on Apple TV+ with shows like Ted Lasso and The Morning Show.

The resolution will be really bad a lot of the time and sometimes playback even stops to buffer.

I have 250 Mbps fiber internet. And sometimes, there will be consecutive HD streaming on two devices, but that’s the extent.

I was wondering if it’s an issue with the Apple servers and high demand, but I’m not sure. I’ve reset my router a couple of times.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Are you wired to your router or using wireless? If it's wired (as in ethernet from the TV to the ATV to your router), then I would say it's your ISP. If it's wireless, you could be receiving interference from other users or devices as well as your ISP.

The reality is, a wired connection is a private line whereas a wireless connection is a public one. You may be the only one in your residence but your neighbors are just as likely to be using the same airspace as you... depending on how close your are. This is why a wired connection is always the best connection.

Reseting the router does nothing for downstream interference. It's a matter of the route your signal takes from you to the source. It can hop through several hubs before it gets to the source. Any one of those hub may be experiencing issues. It can't hurt to reset the router of course, but doing it several times doesn't change the reality that the signal is being degraded. You have no control over anything from your router to the source. Only from the router to your device.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Are you wired to your router or using wireless? If it's wired (as in ethernet from the TV to the ATV to your router), then I would say it's your ISP. If it's wireless, you could be receiving interference from other users or devices as well as your ISP.

The reality is, a wired connection is a private line whereas a wireless connection is a public one. You may be the only one in your residence but your neighbors are just as likely to be using the same airspace as you... depending on how close your are. This is why a wired connection is always the best connection.

Reseting the router does nothing for downstream interference. It's a matter of the route your signal takes from you to the source. It can hop through several hubs before it gets to the source. Any one of those hub may be experiencing issues. It can't hurt to reset the router of course, but doing it several times doesn't change the reality that the signal is being degraded. You have no control over anything from your router to the source. Only from the router to your device.
Thanks for the information! The Apple TV is plugged in via Ethernet (Cat6A). Sounds like I may need to contact my ISP.

appleCakes

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2015
California, USA
Did you have any luck? This is not a connection issue, and it is more widespread. And it is recent. Only Apple TV+ content. Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube all fine with 4K streaming. TV+ shows drop to miserable resolution.

Last edited:

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Did you have any luck? This is not a connection issue, and it is more widespread. And it is recent. Only Apple TV+ content. Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube etc. all mss as obtain the 4K. TV+ shows drop to miserable resolution.
Turned out to be an provider for my ISP that was having streaming issues for Apple TV+ content. It has since been resolved. You might contact your ISP about your issue.

dorkimoe

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2019
Been having major issues the last 2 weeks. I have gig up and gig down internet. And anytime i try and fast forward or rewind it buffers and pretty much wont play again for like 20 minutes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.