Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

td2243

Cancelled
Mar 14, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
As a lefty, that was the first thing I noticed. Maybe there will be something in the settings to set the image upside down and simply reverse the direction of the knob. Then, just swap the top band with the lower.

For a lefty, the button would be above the knob on the left side of the watch, but at least we could wear it on our right wrist.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
Why not? I sure won't wear my expensive watches.

Uh, that was my point. If I happen to be playing basketball, helping a friend move or anything where I could damage a watch, someone else or myself, because I'm wearing a watch, I probably won't wear one. I definitely won't wear one where the risk and cost is high.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
As others said, I am sure the screen can rotate. The straps look like they can be switched around.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
can't you just reverse the strap and that will allow for use on the right wrist?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I can picture Steve now.

"Change the hand you use. Not that big of a deal."

When Leopard came out and they introduced the "Stacks" feature, I wrote a bug report because, while the fanning out was perfectly natural for a right handed person, for a left handed person the motion was unnatural lending "stacks" to become unusable.

The bug was closed as not a bug. To this day, I cannot use stacks with a trackpad. I don't have high hopes for the iWatch either.

----------

Can you not just flip the watch 180 degrees? I imagine the screen would be able to rotate

The buttons will be upside down.

phrozend

macrumors member
May 14, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a leftie mode in the software - just flip the band and wear the watch on your right wrist, voila! The only difference is the digital crown will be on the bottom side but that really makes no difference.

+1. I think this also might be one of the reasons why the sensors are placed parallel like that.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
In their hands on report, Apple Insider says that you can flip the display to have the dial on the other side.

natallica

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Fairfax, VA
I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a leftie mode in the software - just flip the band and wear the watch on your right wrist, voila! The only difference is the digital crown will be on the bottom side but that really makes no difference.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I guess I'm a "fake" south paw as I have always worn my watch on my left wrist. <-- Mainly because it was a pain in the ass to have a watch on the right wrist when playing cello or guitar.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I'm guessing there might be a feature in the OS to rotate the screen upside down so it can be used by 'lefties'. Except the Crown will be on the bottom and the button on the top. Maybe not perfect, but could work if Apple have implemented that feature in the OS.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
If they don't make a lefty version, they will lose a lot of sales. Period.

phrozend

macrumors member
May 14, 2014
If they don't make a lefty version, they will lose a lot of sales. Period.

They could potentially lose 10% of the world's population, but they won't because there's no need to make a special "Lefty Edition". Do what other people have suggested. Flip the regular ("Righty Edition") 180 degrees and you get what you want. Or so we can assume. Again, 10% are left-handed, that means that there's probably a few "lefties" working on the watch-team. Some of them will probably have brought up this potential issue during development.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
This is joke, right? Do you own any watches? If so, how many are left handed ones? Can you tell me the % of watches made that are left handed?

I'm left handed and I think it's absurd to think Apple should be expected to make a left handed watch.

most watches dont require you to "play" with them multiple times a day.

I believe it will be reversible flip it upside down and it will flip like the nano did.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
i really like the look of the apple watch, but being left handed, and wearing a watch on my right arm, this might not work for me.

As many have said, wearing a normal watch is not an issue since it is rarely adjusted. Wearing it 'upside down' might be a solution. Maybe using the dial on the wrong arm will work ok. i'll be interested to see how this works out.

Shame the dial isn't in the middle, which would mean it could be used upside down and not look weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.