Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
I guess I need to move to the UK. I get so excited when it's a cloudy, gray day outside and so irritated if the sun breaks out and ruins it. Come on, please just ONE day of full cloud cover? Rare where I live. It's not that I hate sunny days or anything, but we just get too many of them!

For whatever reason, I just find cloudy days very calming and stress-reducing. I can't relate to people who think they're depressing! I'm sure some who live where it's normally cloudy will tell me I'd change my mind if I were in their shoes, but I'm not so sure.

Reactions: krvld

Knightartorias8

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2023
I prefer cloudy days, it makes it nice to sit outside on pavement or cement I won't melt on. The occasional rain drop is pleasantly fun and my car doesn't feel like an oven. The overall feeling? Relaxing.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I guess I need to move to the UK. I get so excited when it's a cloudy, gray day outside and so irritated if the sun breaks out and ruins it. Come on, please just ONE day of full cloud cover? Rare where I live. It's not that I hate sunny days or anything, but we just get too many of them!

For whatever reason, I just find cloudy days very calming and stress-reducing. I can't relate to people who think they're depressing! I'm sure some who live where it's normally cloudy will tell me I'd change my mind if I were in their shoes, but I'm not so sure.
In the UK here. We get enough cloudy days thanks!
Mind you we’ve had it all today. Sun, rain, clouds.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Move to upstate New York, Syracuse has like 80% cloud cover due to Great Lakes, lake effect. :) When you live in a hot climate as I do, clouds are always appreciated because they reduce the heat of the sun searing your skin. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: usagora

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In the UK, we get more than enough cloudy days, and that incessant bleak grey, - that sometimes arrives at a charcoal grey shade of colour, - the limited light, the cool (and cold and frequently endlessly wet) weather that accompanies it, are all elements that I find, yes, deeply depressing, especially when one sees no end to them.

Personally, I love sunshine, blue skies, bright light, sharp colours, and yes, above all, warmth.

So, in answer to the question posed by the thread title, no, I do not prefer cloudy days; not in the slightest.

Reactions: Huntn and Chuckeee

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I love cloudy days for portrait photography; the whole outdoors is one huge soft box.:cool: Any other time, I prefer 🌞😎😎.

Gray skies are gonna clear up,
Put on a happy face;
Brush off the clouds and cheer up,
Put on a happy face.

Reactions: Huntn

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Gray skies are gonna clear up,
Put on a happy face;
Brush off the clouds and cheer up,
Put on a happy face.

Well, I can have a happy face in both circumstances, just a bigger happy face with gray skies 😁 I've never understood why people associate clouds with sadness and sunshine with happiness.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
Move to upstate New York, Syracuse has like 80% cloud coverdue to Great Lakes, lake effect. :) When you live in a hot climate as I do, clouds are always appreciated because they reduce the heat of the sun searing your skin. ;)

Yeah or the Pacific Northwest as well.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Ideal weather/climate

- 75°F/24°C during the day
- 68°F/20°C at night
- rains sufficient to water the plants and recharge the depleted aquifers
- rains occur between solar midnight and sunrise
- clear skies with visibility of 31mi/50km & slight wind

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ideal weather/climate

- 75°F/24°C during the day
- 68°F/20°C at night
- rains between solar midnight and sunrise
- clear skies with visibility of 31mi/50km & slight wind
I agree that highs in the 70s and cool nights are paradise. The first summer we lived in Minneapolis, circa 1986, it was like that all summer. But I also think that a volcano had gone off somewhere attributing to the cool summer. And I love clouds, big puffy clouds. Overcast is great to when it’s been 100F for the last 3 months and no significant rain.

Reactions: sack_peak

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
I agree that highs in the 70s and cool nights are paradise. The first summer we lived in Minneapolis, circa 1986, it was like that all summer. But I also think that a volcano had gone off somewhere attributing to the cool summer. And I love clouds, big puffy clouds. Overcast is great to when it’s been 100F for the last 3 months and no significant rain.
Lovely weather up there.

To add...

- rains sufficient to water the plants and recharge the depleted aquifers

14 years ago I've experienced 34.1 centimeters or 13.4252 of rain over a 6-hour period. It is just plain awful

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I've never understood why people associate clouds with sadness and sunshine with happiness.
The darkness, the drabness, the dreariness, the lack of light, the cold, the wet, the damp...

In northern Europe, (in fact, in northern climes, I'd imagine parts of Canada, as well), some of us have been known to suffer from SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder, a type of depression that has a seasonal element, or factor, as the lack of light (that comes with cloudy grey skies) in winter serves to give rise to depression.

Some of the Scandinavian countries have attempted to address this with "light therapy", in schools and work places.

I am pretty certain that my mother suffered from it, and I am also fairly certain that I do, as I loathe winter, the darkness, dreariness, lack of light and warmth.

Moreover, I rather suspect that women may be more prone to - or more susceptible to - SAD, than men, although some men also show signs of lethargy and gloom and depression during winter.

Flamingdeathbolts

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2023
Cloudy days are awesome, we get over 200 cloudy days in a year where I live. They are great for outdoor activities or just hanging out at the house with windows open enjoying the noise from the outside world. Then a nice bonfire in the evening.

We do have to take our vitamins daily though.

Reactions: SkyBell and usagora

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
I was going to the solarium’s a lot more earlier during the darker part of the year, to get that extra sunshine and D-vitamin. It changed during the pandemic’s.
So I haven’t used my Solarium card for quite a while. To my surprise I had quite a lot on it now - the solarium actually adds extra Time/Money to it for free at times. Gotta go use it soon. ☀️

I don’t mind the darker part of the year so much, especially since global warning have made the winters much shorter here, and not so cold usually these days.
But I really love the climate of autumn 🍂 The winters could disappear altogether, and I wouldn’t miss them at all. 3 seasons would be awesome.

Summary: Cloudy days are usually the signum here, I don’t mind it.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

RokinAmerica

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2022
Being a grandpa and this being a tech forum, let me put up the obligatory dad joke: My favorite days are iCloudy days. Ba doom pa!

I grew up on Lake Superior, so no stranger to cloudy, dark, rainy or snowy days, or just months of gloom.

But I moved to SoCal about 35 years ago, and the norm here is sunny, with maybe 6 rainy days a year. So when I see clouds and such, it kind of replaces my winter. I love these kind of days.

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Being a grandpa and this being a tech forum, let me put up the obligatory dad joke: My favorite days are iCloudy days. Ba doom pa!

I grew up on Lake Superior, so no stranger to cloudy, dark, rainy or snowy days, or just months of gloom.

But I moved to SoCal about 35 years ago, and the norm here is sunny, with maybe 6 rainy days a year. So when I see clouds and such, it kind of replaces my winter. I love these kind of days.
Makes you wish that places with too much sun share it with those places with too much rain and vice versa.

It would greatly help the drought & flooding problem.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I prefer a nice, bright clear day but with temps cool enough to wear a jacket. I live in Phoenix so the only time you get THAT weather is in November-December and late February to late March.

My wife prefers windy, blustery days. She loves it when the Santa Anas roll through, although that happens more in California than it does here. I'm not a fan of having to lean in to the wind to walk while it blasts dirt and debris into my face.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
My wife prefers windy, blustery days. She loves it when the Santa Anas roll through, although that happens more in California than it does here. I'm not a fan of having to lean in to the wind to walk while it blasts dirt and debris into my face.

Oh, a windy, overcast, 60 degree day would be my heaven.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I like slightly cloudy days, enough to make good sunrise & sunset pictures like this weekend…
IMG_8470.jpeg
IMG_8475.jpeg

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The darkness, the drabness, the dreariness, the lack of light, the cold, the wet, the damp...

In northern Europe, (in fact, in northern climes, I'd imagine parts of Canada, as well), some of us have been known to suffer from SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder, a type of depression that has a seasonal element, or factor, as the lack of light (that comes with cloudy grey skies) in winter serves to give rise to depression.

Some of the Scandinavian countries have attempted to address this with "light therapy", in schools and work places.

I am pretty certain that my mother suffered from it, and I am also fairly certain that I do, as I loathe winter, the darkness, dreariness, lack of light and warmth.

Moreover, I rather suspect that women may be more prone to - or more susceptible to - SAD, than men, although some men also show signs of lethargy and gloom and depression during winter.
Clearly there are a variety of cloudy conditions that produce or are part of weather systems with different effects on the humans living in them. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.