Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I prefer a nice, bright clear day but with temps cool enough to wear a jacket. I live in Phoenix so the only time you get THAT weather is in November-December and late February to late March.

My wife prefers windy, blustery days. She loves it when the Santa Anas roll through, although that happens more in California than it does here. I'm not a fan of having to lean in to the wind to walk while it blasts dirt and debris into my face.
My impression as someone who lives in a hot climate, is that when it’s hot, clouds and blustery weather that cools thing off are always welcome. 🤔

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My impression as someone who lives in a hot climate, is that when it’s hot, clouds and blustery weather that cools thing off are always welcome. 🤔
Yeah it does. Except in August here when the wind generally tends to be hot.

Another banner day for us today though, high of 102 104. The average is 89. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah it does. Except in August here when the wind generally tends to be hot.

Another banner day for us today though, high of 102. The average is 89. :(
Our weather in Houston was no Fall weather, what I would call Fall based on Minnesota. The first week in October a break from the 90s-100s to 70-80s and quite delightful 60s in the morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Our weather in Houston was no Fall weather, what I would call Fall based on Minnesota. The first week in October a break from the 90s to 70-80s and quite delightful 60s in the morning.
I lived in Houston from around 1974 to 1980. I was young (4 to 10) but I do recall the weather.

Reactions: Huntn

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
If it's a warm summer's day and the clouds are dark, ominous and scary looking, bring it on! I love me some thunderclouds and thunderstorms. However, if it's in the middle of Fall/Winter and it's just a wall of gray for days, I despise it.

My SAD kicks in hard around winter time and I've found that if I dont get enough sun, my depression goes into overdrive. Where I live in the PNW, we get inversions during the winter and for days and sometimes weeks, all we will see is just gray skies and it makes it really, really difficult to get out of bed sometimes because it seems like time just stands still.

Reactions: decafjava

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
The darkness, the drabness, the dreariness, the lack of light, the cold, the wet, the damp...

In northern Europe, (in fact, in northern climes, I'd imagine parts of Canada, as well), some of us have been known to suffer from SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder, a type of depression that has a seasonal element, or factor, as the lack of light (that comes with cloudy grey skies) in winter serves to give rise to depression.
My parents lived in Alaska for over a decade and they've both said that when winter hit and you saw MAYBE 3-4 hours of sunlight in Anchorage, it became almost unbearable to live there. It's even worse in the towns and villages that are closer to the arctic circle because they go dark for 6-8 months until they see daylight again. Couple that with constant rain and snow storms, it's a lot for the mind to deal with, on top of staying alive in a very inhospitable climate. Unfortunately, because of those dark months (amongst other reasons), Alaska also has a super high suicide rate.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My parents lived in Alaska for over a decade and they've both said that when winter hit and you saw MAYBE 3-4 hours of sunlight in Anchorage, it became almost unbearable to live there. It's even worse in the towns and villages that are closer to the arctic circle because they go dark for 6-8 months until they see daylight again. Couple that with constant rain and snow storms, it's a lot for the mind to deal with, on top of staying alive in a very inhospitable climate. Unfortunately, because of those dark months (amongst other reasons), Alaska also has a super high suicide rate.
Scandinavia likewise, and, the British Isles, - especially the more nrothern parts - have long, dark, and dreary winters.

Actually, on this thread, I suspect that the love of cloudy weather comes mainly from those who live in sunny climes, or, in places where it is sunny (and hot, sometimes, almost unbearably so) for most of the year.

However, in northern Europe, and - as you correctly note and write - Alaska, - this is not the case.

We take holidays in the sun because we are sun starved; not just the heat and warmth (though they do matter), but above all, the light, that amazing light where you think that you have flicked a switch in the side of your head, or somewhere behind your eyes, because you can see so much better and so much more clearly, a gleaming glow of luminous glory.

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
It seems like suicide rate in the world have somewhat shifted, this was the most recent I found.
1697479674316.jpeg

I have personally less problem with the darkness of late fall and winters these days. Maybe because the global warming have somewhat changed the climate here. At least some winters are very short and have not so much snow as like +15/20 yrs ago.
My mood are much better as well, and I mostly enjoy the more rest that comes naturally with shorter days and less light.
The recent yrs it have at least initially seemed that I don’t have to change the tires on my electric-bicycle. But then it came down some of that white cold stuff from the sky anyway.

See how it goes with that this year? It’s still ok with shorter adventures in shorts or knickers. 😁

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
Here in Greece, I believe we get like 230 sunny days out of the year, or somewhere around that number.

I enjoy the cloudy days, and rainy days. I deal with anxiety sometimes, and if I need to go to Athens for example, which is 2 hours away from me, I feel more comfortable with it being cloudy outside.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Like some others have said, grey skies for days or weeks on end is unbearable. But sometimes it is quite pleasant especially in summer or hotter climates.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
tempImagevxT3eS.png

This has been the view out of my office window for 2+ weeks. Occasional breaks in the clouds to let the sun through for a few moments but 99% of the time, it's just a gray, white wall of nothingness. Trees are dead (obviously) and the air is still.

THIS is the stuff that sends me into a depression. No amount of multivitamins or SAD lights are a good enough replacement for the real thing.

I hate winter.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
View attachment 2326175

..... it's just a gray, white wall of nothingness. Trees are dead (obviously) and the air is still.
I share your detestation of those grey skies.
THIS is the stuff that sends me into a depression. No amount of multivitamins or SAD lights are a good enough replacement for the real thing.
Agree passionately, completely and whole-heartedly.
I hate winter.
I echo your sentiment with ferocious intensity and passionate enthusiasm.

usagora

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 17, 2017
View attachment 2326175

This has been the view out of my office window for 2+ weeks. Occasional breaks in the clouds to let the sun through for a few moments but 99% of the time, it's just a gray, white wall of nothingness. Trees are dead (obviously) and the air is still.

I hate winter.

Amazing how people can be polar opposite. To me, that is so calming and energizing.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I remind myself that with the imminent approach of the winter solstice, the return of brighter days and longer days (not necessarily, less cloudy, but less dreary, less dismal, and less light deprived) draws ever closer.

Reactions: decafjava

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
We can but live in hope.
Passionate hope.

Yes, I know that this will not be visibly noticeable until the end of January - but, today, I found myself reading (with a gimlet eyed firm and focussed attention) the weather forecast sunrise and sunset times - the exact time, to the minute - for the coming days, and week.

At least the days will not be getting any shorter from today.

And, at least, that awful dreary darkness, that dismal light-deprived state (I have privately suspected that Christmas lights were an attempt - a sort of societally approved collective attempt - to stave off that darkness) will not get (or should not get) any worse, before the welcome return of brighter days and longer days.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
We have storms rolling into the desert southwest of the US tomorrow through Sunday... we're quite excited around my house for the overcast conditions for the weekend.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Perhaps all depends on how much one enjoys outdoor activities versus staying indoors? For example, I prefer a mixes or combinations as follows: some clouds on a bright day if I am driving on a scenery road, even sporadic rain here and there. But I don't mind a cloudy/snowy day of winter and being indoors or outdoors. One can be nice and warm, comfortably looking out the window as the snow falls, or even rain during the summer.

But with the long and dark winters of Alaska I prefer a nice and bright day, or a clear sky at night, specially if photographing the auroras. By the 21st (before Christmas) we are barely enjoying more than 3 hours of 'twilight." If it is cloudy on the 21st, outdoors during the day is nearly dark or darker than the twilight hours. If I am resting in bed, then I don't mind cloudy days, but not if I am enjoying the outdoors. :)

I took this photo during a cloudy evening during the twilight hours. If there weren't street lights the scenery would be similar to B&W:
i-9Hw6VLS-L.jpg

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Perhaps all depends on how much one enjoys outdoor activities versus staying indoors? For example, I prefer a mixes or combinations as follows: some clouds on a bright day if I am driving on a scenery road, even sporadic rain here and there. But I don't mind a cloudy/snowy day of winter and being indoors or outdoors. One can be nice and warm, comfortably looking out the window as the snow falls, or even rain during the summer.

But with the long and dark winters of Alaska I prefer a nice and bright day, or a clear sky at night, specially if photographing the auroras. By the 21st (before Christmas) we are barely enjoying more than 3 hours of 'twilight." If it is cloudy on the 21st, outdoors during the day is nearly dark or darker than the twilight hours. If I am resting in bed, then I don't mind cloudy days, but not if I am enjoying the outdoors. :)

I took this photo during a cloudy evening during the twilight hours. If there weren't street lights the scenery would be similar to B&W:
i-9Hw6VLS-L.jpg
You make a good point when you draw a distinction between a preference for an indoors or an outdoors life.

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of outdoors activity (at least, not in anything other than exceedingly pleasant weather).

Moreover, to be perfectly candid, I rather like the feel of asphalt, of cobblestones, of paved paths, of centuries of urban civilisation and history, beneath my feet.

While I am quite partial to spectacular landscapes, I do think that they are perhaps best viewed - or, best appreciated and enjoyed - through the windscreen of a motorcar.

Or the window of a plane.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AlaskaMoose

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
You make a good point when you draw a distinction between a preference for an indoors or an outdoors life.

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of outdoors activity (at least, not in anything other than exceedingly pleasant weather).
The preference of cloudy days/not cloudy days does have an impact on what kind of life you live I suppose.

For example, I have friends who absolutely LOVE snow and winter and everything about it because it means is skiing and snowmobiling season for them. Since I'm not a winter sports person (aside from watching the occasional ice hockey game), I'm not a winter outdoors person. Sure, I can appreciate a good dusting of snow on the trees and it does make for a beautiful scene to photograph but I'm over it in about 5 minutes and I'm ready to move on lol.

In the summer time though, I try to be outdoors as much as I can. Whether it's just laying in the grass, camping, enjoying a day at the lake or hiking, any amount of sunshine I get is a good day. Granted, I burn in 5 minutes because of my complexion but that's besides the point. And if clouds roll in on a hot summers day, that usually leads to thunderstorms and that's just the cherry on top for me.

May, earlier this year...

1703166951422.jpeg

In another life, I should have been a meteorologist or a storm chaser tbh...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

i-9Hw6VLS-L.jpg

Moreover, to be perfectly candid, I rather like the feel of asphalt, of cobblestones, of paved paths, of centuries of urban civilisation and history, beneath my feet.

While I am quite partial to spectacular landscapes, I do think that they are perhaps best viewed - or, best enjoyed - through the windscreen of a motorcar.
The preference of cloudy days/not cloudy days does have an impact on what kind of life you live I suppose.

For example, I have friends who absolutely LOVE snow and winter and everything about it because it means is skiing and snowmobiling season for them. Since I'm not a winter sports person (aside from watching the occasional ice hockey game), I'm not a winter outdoors person. Sure, I can appreciate a good dusting of snow on the trees and it does make for a beautiful scene to photograph but I'm over it in about 5 minutes and I'm ready to move on lol.

In the summer time though, I try to be outdoors as much as I can. Whether it's just laying in the grass, camping, enjoying a day at the lake or hiking, any amount of sunshine I get is a good day. Granted, I burn in 5 minutes because of my complexion but that's besides the point. And if clouds roll in on a hot summers day, that usually leads to thunderstorms and that's just the cherry on top for me.

May, earlier this year...

View attachment 2327406

In another life, I should have been a meteorologist or a storm chaser tbh...
Nice shot.

Good luck to those who love winter sports; I'm not one of them.

And lengthy emails describing such winter joys in excruciating detail from Scandinavian colleagues cause my bespectacled eyes to glaze over and skip ahead to - what are to me - the more interesting bits of the missive.

Anyway, I love the warmth of summer, and, the quality of light, the brightness, the long days.

And yes, I can suffer - ah, endure, undertake, more or less willingly - outdoors activities in summer, of the healthy hiking (though, for me, a hike is a gentle stroll in the hills, not that horribly healthy striding across mountains some colleagues have in mind - variety - and have done so, though the temptations of sitting in - or near - the car, iPod to hand, listening to music while admiring the panoramic vista - will always remain.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I'm in the desert southwest (Phoenix area)... I'd love cloudy, overcast days.

We moved from the dreary east coast to AZ to get away from cloudy days. This is our first winter and it has been great. Three plus months of gray skies gets old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.