Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gsmaniac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
I’m currently running an iPhone X and I’ve always been disappointed by the OLED screen and never got the hype. I much preferred the screen on my previous 6s.
Anyone else feel the same? Yes I know I’m in the minority.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m currently running an iPhone X and I’ve always been disappointed by the OLED screen and never got the hype. I much preferred the screen on my previous 6s.

Apple has some of the best LCD displays in the industry (Ans that’s based on scoring as well). But to your point, consumers generally don’t care about OLED versus LCD. They don’t understand the differences, and there’s even been YouTube videos where consumers couldn’t differentiate which display technology was which. In terms of Apples LCD displays, the contrast, lighting, color saturation point, has always been on point. I personally don’t have a preference one way or the other, but I do prefer Apples LCD displays.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Devin Breeding

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
I’m curious. I like what OLED offers as far as the black areas not being on so things like dark mode actually makes a difference with battery and such. I still have a droid turbo 2 in a drawer and I’ll note that the areas that are consistently black (lower software buttons) are now noticeably different when full screen video. I’m not sure if this degradation has been solved with newer OLED screens but even so, if they haven’t and price were the same, I’d choose an OLED for the added benefits OLED offers.

It was really cool to be able to drop the DPI to prolong battery life though.

All that being said, I have no issues/complaints with my iPhone 11 screen or battery life.

note the upper notification area and lower button area:
8E642D1D-530F-4FAB-8A4B-4420819A690F.jpeg

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
This thread seems quite old. Might not be a nice move to bump it up.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I haven't really used modern OLED phones but from previous experience, OLED made my migraines more frequent. Hence, I find LCD to be a safer bet and would choose that option if available.

That's why I got the iPhone SE2. It's my hedge in case the 5.4" OLED iPhone 12 gives me migraines.

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Don't really care in my iPhone, iPad or Mac, but I would never ever get a TV with an LCD. If for some odd reason I would need to get one, it surely would be one with local dimming.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I prefer the brightness levels, true blacks, and vibrant colors of oled compared to LCD. However, my eyes cannot tolerate something related to Apple oled screens so I’m forced to use LCD which isn’t a huge deal.

Pirate!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2017
I can't tolerate the flickering of any Apple OLED screen. To me they're horrible (the flickering).

Is the flickering on a particular screen or background color? I’ve had an X and 11 Pro and never noticed any flickering. Curious as to what might be causing it.

I prefer OLED for dark mode, especially when reading at night. Images seem to pop more on OLED, too, IMO. Which works for me as my phone is typically where I view images (and my tv, which is also OLED).

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
I’ll have to wait and see as I don’t own an OLED iPhone yet. I’ve never been blown away when I’ve compared against friends OLED iPhones and to be honest it wouldn’t bother me if the iPhone 12 came with an LCD.
Oled on the iPhone is decent but like you say its not mind blowingly better than the Lcd screen that is in the XR/11.

The Samsung oled screens on the S20/Note 20 models however are in a different league - imo.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Is the flickering on a particular screen or background color? I’ve had an X and 11 Pro and never noticed any flickering. Curious as to what might be causing it.

I prefer OLED for dark mode, especially when reading at night. Images seem to pop more on OLED, too, IMO. Which works for me as my phone is typically where I view images (and my tv, which is also OLED).
I know it’s very weird. I guess it’s something that affects a very small minority? I don’t know anyone outside of this forum that talks or has talked about it. The problem is very real to these people.. I on the other hand have no clue 🤷‍♂️

aenflex

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
FL, USA
I prefer OLED. I can notice the differences between the two. To me the screen on my husband’s XR is deeper than my 11P, and I can absolutely notice the black level disparity.
That said, the LCD screen on the XR is a nice screen for sure. I used it for a year and was happy.

What I will never go back to is 326 ppi. I’m picky though, not the typical user.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I actually moved over to the iphone 6s plus in 2015, just so i could get away from the oled screens on androids at the time and use apples IPS lCD displays. I appreciate what OLED screens can do in terms of true blacks and contrast ratio, but dark scenes in videos are just too dark if this makes sense, and the oversaturated colours (which look good at first) are not natural enough for me unlike Apples LCD screens which are just right. Saying that i am getting the iphone 12 5”4 model which is oled, but if a rumoured lcd 4g version is released ill get that instead.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

Only On PC Gaming 144hz GSYNC Monitors I have two 27” IPS 10-bit LG GL850monitors which stay on for hours or days.
otherwise. I’m 100% OLED

#1. OLED Note 10+
#2. OLED 13” HP Spectre Laptop 4K HDR Touchscreen.
#3. OLED home TV 4K 55” LG C9 Bedroom TV
#4. OLED Home theater 65” 4K TV
#5. IPS 11” IPad Pro which I’ll be trading in for a Samsung 11” Tablet OLED 120hz HDR OLED.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Just wanted to start a thread like this. I just compared my 12 mini display to my iPhone 11 display and had the same thoughts.

I much prefer LCD iPhones to OLED iPhones. And there is a reason I write IPHONES. Because to me, and I owned or had a lot of iPhones in my hands, LCD iPhone displays are so much better than the competition. I still own a 11 and the display, besides it couldn't be of higher resolution, is perfect. It is bright, often to me much brighter with certain colors than OLED iPhones. It screams quality and I wish they would have made an LCD iPhone with higher resolution.

To me starting with the XS, OLED displays on iPhones have gotten worth and worth. And I have seen maybe 20-30 OLED iPhones the last years, owning several as I switch from time to time. The X back then imo had better OLED displays with no washed out colors, only a small yellow tint. And since the XS it has gotten bad imo. I love my 12 Mini but I wish it would have LCD with the same resolution. The colors look washed out, esp text, like with every other iPhone I had my hands on the last years. It is not only the yellow tint, it is the text itself, the smaller the text the less readable it is imo compared to LCD. I have only had the iPhone 11 with LCD display in recent years and maybe I was lucky that it has a very high quality display but it looks much brighter in most situations than my 12 Mini. It should be the opposite. And this is not only my 12 Mini. It has been with several iPhone 11 Pro (Max) I wanted to switch to and tested and sent back because of these bad OLED displays.

I don't know why so many hate LCD displays and love OLED so much. The only advantage in my experience with OLEDiPhones is the black pixels, that turn off. Besides that there is no advantage.

But what I have to say too is when I look at Samsung smartphones, those OLED displays in flagship models always seem less washed out. Colors are brighter, maybe less realistic, but at least I can read without a problem. If that is Apple's way of calibrating to give us realistic but washed out colors, esp text, it is just wrong.

TO ME (!) Samsung flagship phone OLED displays seem of MUCH higher quality than iPhone OLED displays. Sorry, but when I read that iPhone displays were chosen of best quality etc. I don't get it. I can't read small text easily because of washed out colors, and that was as I said with every of these 20-30 iPhones, but it wins because it is more realistic? WTF. Samsung colors may be a little oversaturated but at least they are bright and easy to read and give the impression of high quality.

Sometimes I wish there would be a non Apple, non Android flagship device to buy. But no, if you don't want Android you need to go with Apple.

Last edited:

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I keep on forgetting that the screen tech is one of the differences between the 11 I had and the 12 Pro. Day to day, the main difference is the smaller overall size of the 12 Pro. Magnified by the less protective case I have on the 12 Pro.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
OLED is brighter, sharper, more colors, consume less energy, and better viewing angles. While we’re at it, let’s just go back to tech that looks like Minecraft.

RelaxPls

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2020
OLED is brighter, sharper, more colors, consume less energy, and better viewing angles. While we’re at it, let’s just go back to tech that looks like Minecraft.
Well on my Iphone 12 Mini with OLED screen the view angles are worse than on my Iphone 7 with LCD.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
A good quality OLED Screen is superior than an LCD screen. Remember it has to be good quality

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.