Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I love the colors and look of the OLED screens. But I’m in the ultra minority sensitive to them. So while I prefer them, I’m thankful Apple has produced some pretty solid LCD screens. Unfortunately, that seems to have hit the end of the road.

jakja83

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2010
Well on my Iphone 12 Mini with OLED screen the view angles are worse than on my Iphone 7 with LCD.
The same is my experience. I own OLED-TV and the viewieng angles are just superb, but I tried 12 mini and they were really poor. iPhone 11 LCD was superior in that regard. Maybe a faulty display on the 12? It was yellowish as well and not as touch-responsive as my 11.

Contrast was better on the OLED, better details in images.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I’m currently running an iPhone X and I’ve always been disappointed by the OLED screen and never got the hype. I much preferred the screen on my previous 6s.
Anyone else feel the same? Yes I know I’m in the minority.
I am betting yours is defective. Tell me what happens when you disable Auto Brightness.

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
For me it really depends on the usage case of the specific device:

On my TV where I mainly watch movies and play video games, I‘d never ever buy an LCD anymore. My LG OLED really spoiled me here.
On the iPad, where I sometimes watch movies but mainly browse the Internet, edit photos and watch YouTube, I‘d prefer an OLED but am also fine with LCD.
On the iPhone, where I do not watch any movies whatsoever, I really don’t mind the IPS panel at all and actually like it.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
I use an X. I prefer the OLED, but it’s a little unfair comparison because all of the LCD screens are much lower resolution to the OLEDs in iPhone. I can see the difference when held next to a 8+ or Xr.

Still, I find the colors to be more vibrant on OLED. Seems to me that HDR content stands out better on OLED.

Plus I like using Dark Mode and OLED is good at saving a bit of battery that way.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I use an X. I prefer the OLED, but it’s a little unfair comparison because all of the LCD screens are much lower resolution to the OLEDs in iPhone. I can see the difference when held next to a 8+ or Xr.

Still, I find the colors to be more vibrant on OLED. Seems to me that HDR content stands out better on OLED.

Plus I like using Dark Mode and OLED is good at saving a bit of battery that way.
The iPhone X has 458 ppi compared to the 401 ppi on the iPhone 8 Plus, so they are not far apart, but I agree with you compared to the XR which has 326ppi. It’s not apples to apples comparison as OLED screens have pen tile displays so use 2 sub pixels compared to LCD IPS displays which use 3 sub pixels, so technically the lcd panels have a higher resolution. In terms of aesthetics the OLED screens have richer colours like you said and more vibrancy, but not overly saturated than the Samsung Galaxy screens which is a good thing in my opinion.

Reactions: The1andOnly

RelaxPls

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2020
The same is my experience. I own OLED-TV and the viewieng angles are just superb, but I tried 12 mini and they were really poor. iPhone 11 LCD was superior in that regard. Maybe a faulty display on the 12? It was yellowish as well and not as touch-responsive as my 11.

Contrast was better on the OLED, better details in images.
Exactly this on my Mini the display seems less quality than on my 7 I think that maybe due to pandemic apple did screw it up in the production. But in no way I’m going to keep this I will return and later in January or so maybe I will buy it again if they fix it or maybe I get lucky with better unit.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Exactly this on my Mini the display seems less quality than on my 7 I think that maybe due to pandemic apple did screw it up in the production. But in no way I’m going to keep this I will return and later in January or so maybe I will buy it again if they fix it or maybe I get lucky with better unit.
This isn’t normal. The Mini should have a fantastic display like every Apple OLED (that’s not out of spec).

RelaxPls

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2020
This isn’t normal. The Mini should have a fantastic display like every Apple OLED (that’s not out of spec).
Yeah but it is how it is, I fit notice that when I disable auto brightness the display do go brighter a little bit more brighter than my IPhone 7 with AB-on but with both phones in AB-on the Mini is dimmer and just looking at this web the greys are not the same the Mini greys look a bit yellow/green. I do like this phone but I’m not sure that it can be fixed vi Software. Also some people don’t know if they are trolling or not but do have better displays on their phones so definitely there is different quality pannels in circulation.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Yeah but it is how it is, I fit notice that when I disable auto brightness the display do go brighter a little bit more brighter than my IPhone 7 with AB-on but with both phones in AB-on the Mini is dimmer and just looking at this web the greys are not the same the Mini greys look a bit yellow/green. I do like this phone but I’m not sure that it can be fixed vi Software. Also some people don’t know if they are trolling or not but do have better displays on their phones so definitely there is different quality pannels in circulation.
If that happens it is defective. Exchange it. You’ll eventually get a great display.

Saludos

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Just wanted to start a thread like this. I just compared my 12 mini display to my iPhone 11 display and had the same thoughts.

I much prefer LCD iPhones to OLED iPhones. And there is a reason I write IPHONES. Because to me, and I owned or had a lot of iPhones in my hands, LCD iPhone displays are so much better than the competition. I still own a 11 and the display, besides it couldn't be of higher resolution, is perfect. It is bright, often to me much brighter with certain colors than OLED iPhones. It screams quality and I wish they would have made an LCD iPhone with higher resolution.

To me starting with the XS, OLED displays on iPhones have gotten worth and worth. And I have seen maybe 20-30 OLED iPhones the last years, owning several as I switch from time to time. The X back then imo had better OLED displays with no washed out colors, only a small yellow tint. And since the XS it has gotten bad imo. I love my 12 Mini but I wish it would have LCD with the same resolution. The colors look washed out, esp text, like with every other iPhone I had my hands on the last years. It is not only the yellow tint, it is the text itself, the smaller the text the less readable it is imo compared to LCD. I have only had the iPhone 11 with LCD display in recent years and maybe I was lucky that it has a very high quality display but it looks much brighter in most situations than my 12 Mini. It should be the opposite. And this is not only my 12 Mini. It has been with several iPhone 11 Pro (Max) I wanted to switch to and tested and sent back because of these bad OLED displays.

I don't know why so many hate LCD displays and love OLED so much. The only advantage in my experience with OLEDiPhones is the black pixels, that turn off. Besides that there is no advantage.

But what I have to say too is when I look at Samsung smartphones, those OLED displays in flagship models always seem less washed out. Colors are brighter, maybe less realistic, but at least I can read without a problem. If that is Apple's way of calibrating to give us realistic but washed out colors, esp text, it is just wrong.

TO ME (!) Samsung flagship phone OLED displays seem of MUCH higher quality than iPhone OLED displays. Sorry, but when I read that iPhone displays were chosen of best quality etc. I don't get it. I can't read small text easily because of washed out colors, and that was as I said with every of these 20-30 iPhones, but it wins because it is more realistic? WTF. Samsung colors may be a little oversaturated but at least they are bright and easy to read and give the impression of high quality.

Sometimes I wish there would be a non Apple, non Android flagship device to buy. But no, if you don't want Android you need to go with Apple.
Same here. Using my brand new iPhone 12 mini i can say yes, Apple’s lcd are better. I had an original iPhone SE, never experienced headhache or eyes strain. it’s a pity, I love my new iPhone... but this is a problem for me. I can‘t decide if returned it o or give it a second chance

RelaxPls

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2020
Same here. Using my brand new iPhone 12 mini i can say yes, Apple’s lcd are better. I had an original iPhone SE, never experienced headhache or eyes strain. it’s a pity, I love my new iPhone... but this is a problem for me. I can‘t decide if returned it o or give it a second chance
I’m in the same boat as you with mi Mini and I’m returning mine on Wednesday and I’ll wait till they fix it or maybe later there will be better units on sale.

Reactions: Saludos

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I’m in the same boat as you with mi Mini and I’m returning mine on Wednesday and I’ll wait till they fix it or maybe later there will be better units on sale.
Software can’t fix this.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
The iPhone X has 458 ppi compared to the 401 ppi on the iPhone 8 Plus, so they are not far apart, but I agree with you compared to the XR which has 326ppi. It’s not apples to apples comparison as OLED screens have pen tile displays so use 2 sub pixels compared to LCD IPS displays which use 3 sub pixels, so technically the lcd panels have a higher resolution. In terms of aesthetics the OLED screens have richer colours like you said and more vibrancy, but not overly saturated than the Samsung Galaxy screens which is a good thing in my opinion.

resolution isn’t counted in sub pixels.

You can spit specs all day and it doesn’t matter. I see a clear difference between my 8+ and X. It’s probably a combination of factors, but it comes down to my subjective opinion and that’s the OLED appears more crisp and with better colors.

The1andOnly

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2020

resolution isn’t counted in sub pixels.

You can spit specs all day and it doesn’t matter. I see a clear difference between my 8+ and X. It’s probably a combination of factors, but it comes down to my subjective opinion and that’s the OLED appears more crisp and with better colors.
I agree with both of you, as much as that is possible. It’s true that comparing LCD PPI and OLED PPI is not apples-to-apples.

I was huge fan of the 401 PPI LCD screens of the iPhones Plus. However, IMO, Apple’s OLED panels have taken it to a new level. Vibrant colors and true blacks are, to me, the most obvious examples of this.

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
I definitely prefer Apple's OLED to LCD and would choose OLED every time. My 11 Pro and old X's screens were far nicer to look at (IMO) than any recent LCD I've looked at.

However what I don't get at all and don't care about is refresh rate.. 60Hz vs 90Hz vs 120Hz etc. I've used both a 60Hz handset and a 120Hz handset and noticed no difference whatsoever, not even a slight change.

Reactions: Barbareren

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
I definitely prefer Apple's OLED to LCD and would choose OLED every time. My 11 Pro and old X's screens were far nicer to look at (IMO) than any recent LCD I've looked at.

However what I don't get at all and don't care about is refresh rate.. 60Hz vs 90Hz vs 120Hz etc. I've used both a 60Hz handset and a 120Hz handset and noticed no difference whatsoever, not even a slight change.

I notice the difference mostly in scrolling. My iPhone is 60Hz, iPad Pro is 120Hz. When I scroll on my X, everything gets blurred. When I scroll on my iPad it’s significantly less so.

If you play games, you may also notice (depending on the game).

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Personally, I much prefer OLED, ever since I bought my first OLED TV, years ago, I patiently waited on Apple making the switch - Though the comparison between several grands worth of TV screen and an iPhone screen is hardly a fair comparison.

I’m fortunate that I don’t suffer from any PWM effects, though I appreciate that many people do. I do prefer the true black of an OLED to the grey of an LCD, something I do notice a lot.

Apple use some of the best LCD panels around, and I never had cause to complain about them. But given the choice, I’d always plump for OLED. Yes, blurring can be noticeable in fast scrolling, but I can say the same for every iPhone with a 60Hz screen I’ve ever owned. The variable 120Hz of my iPad Pro is nice by comparison. And I will welcome variable 120Hz displays on an iPhone, when they get around the obvious battery impact - something much less of an issue on an iPad, which has a significantly larger battery.

Banich2

Suspended
Apr 21, 2015
San Francisco, California
I honestly have never noticed a difference. Used a Xs for 2 years, traded it in to Apple for a gift card on Halloween, and used my iPhone 7 for 2 weeks while I waited for my iPhone 12 mini. Forgot that it was a different screen until I happened upon this post. Watched 10 minutes of a 4K/HDR movie when the 12 arrived, just to try out that spatial awareness sound feature, but honestly, I couldn’t discern how the image quality was different from my MacBook Air or my tv

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.