Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you prefer aluminium or stainless steel sides?

• Aluminium

Votes: 141 49.6%
  • Stainless steel

Votes: 143 50.4%

• Total voters

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I actually liked the satin finish of the steel band used on iPhone 4/iPhone 4S. I hate the fingerprints on the glossy stainless steel. Itā€™s not a huge deal for me since itā€™s in a case, but the iPhone 4/4S is probably the best looking phone Apple ever made. The ā€œsilverā€ stainless steel on the 12 Pro looks like cheap chrome. The gold finish is nice though.

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
Aluminium has better thermal conductivity and dissipates heat faster than steel. Aluminium sides also don't like look a mushy mess within seconds of holding the phone.

Like I said, people fell for marketing hype and think the shinier the phone the more premium it must be.
So your argument on aluminum isnā€™t based on anything objective but just pure personal taste - got it.

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
So your argument on aluminum isnā€™t based on anything objective but just pure personal taste - got it.
I don't know how you got that from his message at all. Objectively, the Stainless Steel used on iPhones gets visible fingerprint marks much faster than the Aluminum. Objectively, it also dissipates heat faster. Nothing in his message was either subjective or personal taste. ?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I prefer the heft/substantial feel of the Stainless Steel of the Pro/Pro Max models, also if I am not mistaken the steel is harder to bend? Please correct me if I am wrong, my previous Xs Max and 11 Pro Max feel like tanks and I love it lol, but I know itā€™s not for everyone.

Itā€™s a bit if a pickle for apple I think probably explains why they put smaller batteries in the 12 Pro/Pro Max as they got bigger with the 12 Pro Max having even bigger cameras to carry to? To keep the weight not too high.

I do get the feeling at some point they will move to Aluminum for all models, especially if they plan on putting bigger batteries and continue to putting in bigger camera sensors like the one in the 12 Pro Max. I would gladly take aluminum if it means they put bigger batteries and are able to put even bigger camera sensors.

Reactions: Macyourdayy

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
So what gives you the perception that stainless steel is more premium than 7000 series aluminium? Marketing? You mention ā€˜for the priceā€™ but on what basis is SS more expensive than aluminium?

The price of 7000 Series Aircraft Aluminum is a known based on current contracts.

Itā€™s hard to compare with the Surgical Stainless Steel in the iPhone as Apple does not list if itā€˜s Grade 304 or Grade 316. Both are Surgical Grade, however 316 is higher priced.

I canā€™t find any link to identify which.

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
isnā€™t steel stronger than aluminum
Yes, but itā€™s heavier, and I prefer the feel and appearance of the 5s/12 (non pro) models, or even the 6s style but Iā€™ve hated the slippery shape of the 6-11 models from the beginning.

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
What about the fact aluminium dissipates heat better, is lighter, and doesn't look like a smudgy mess is subjective to you?
How are either of those linked to being ā€œpremiumā€?

You have no objective reason for aluminum being more ā€œpremiumā€ - heat dissipation is irrelevant in the scenario of such a small band, and the smudging is subjective - Some people will care more about how it looked and some care more about how it feels.

Next weā€™re gonna start calling Miataā€™s more premium than a BMW because the aluminum dash piece is shinier ??

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
I don't know how you got that from his message at all. Objectively, the Stainless Steel used on iPhones gets visible fingerprint marks much faster than the Aluminum. Objectively, it also dissipates heat faster. Nothing in his message was either subjective or personal taste. ?
Hard to reason with those that believe their choices are correct and those that have different preferences are dissing them and must be wrong.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
How are either of those linked to being ā€œpremiumā€?

You have no objective reason for aluminum being more ā€œpremiumā€ - heat dissipation is irrelevant in the scenario of such a small band, and the smudging is subjective - Some people will care more about how it looked and some care more about how it feels.

Next weā€™re gonna start calling Miataā€™s more premium than a BMW because the aluminum dash piece is shinier ??

You're mixing two things here.

1. The objectively better material properties of aluminum
2. Whether one or the other is more "premium" - that point is subjective based upon user pref, very true

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
You're mixing two things here.

1. The objectively better material properties of aluminum
2. Whether one or the other is more "premium" - that point is subjective based upon user pref, very true

The original message, the person I was quoting, was talking about people thinking stainless steel being more premium was ā€œfalling for marketing hypeā€ - the only argument Iā€™ve seen is that it dissipates heat faster (irrelevant) and that brushed aluminum doesnā€™t smudge = looking better (which is subjective taste - many people donā€™t care and prefer the look of the steel anyways or much prefer the feel).

There are (arguably) objective ways to judge if a metal is premium, such as price, which stainless steels beats aluminum easily.

I also find it really interesting that this is my only point but somehow itā€™s me who canā€™t accept other peoples opinions, and not the guy literally telling everyone their opinion was wrong. I donā€™t care if my sides are aluminum, steel, wood, grass, carpet - I have a case on. Then again, it is MacRumors forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I also find it really interesting that this is my only point but somehow itā€™s me who canā€™t accept other peoples opinions, and not the guy literally telling everyone their opinion was wrong. Then again, it is MacRumors forums.

I think your tone is perhaps putting some of us on guard is all
All good - no harm no foul

Thx for the reply

Reactions: snipr125

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Wonā€™t matter - with a house of hardwood floors Iā€™ll be throwing a case on it. Has saved my phone from countless drops!

therealMasa

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2021
The original message, the person I was quoting, was talking about people thinking stainless steel being more premium was ā€œfalling for marketing hypeā€ - the only argument Iā€™ve seen is that it dissipates heat faster (irrelevant) and that brushed aluminum doesnā€™t smudge = looking better (which is subjective taste - many people donā€™t care and prefer the look of the steel anyways or much prefer the feel).

There are (arguably) objective ways to judge if a metal is premium, such as price, which stainless steels beats aluminum easily.

I also find it really interesting that this is my only point but somehow itā€™s me who canā€™t accept other peoples opinions, and not the guy literally telling everyone their opinion was wrong. I donā€™t care if my sides are aluminum, steel, wood, grass, carpet - I have a case on. Then again, it is MacRumors forums.
Excuse me, what was it you said earlier:
"not to mention part of something being premium is what society and culture dictate as premium"

Well, droves of people have remarked negatively on how much the stainless sides are a fingerprint magnet and ruins the premium feel of the phone. I take it their opinions don't count now?

FalhĆ³fnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
So what gives you the perception that stainless steel is more premium than 7000 series aluminium? Marketing? You mention ā€˜for the priceā€™ but on what basis is SS more expensive than aluminium?
The irony for those who have bought into the Stainless = premium spin is that it was originally used for the cheaper iPod touches while the more expensive iPhone was aluminium (apart from the band on the 4/4s). Additionally the current cheapest iPhone SE uses both - stainless (internally) and Aluminium (externally) in its construction. Apple seem to have done a 180 since bringing out the iPhone X.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC

I have 2 aluminum iPhones and 3 stainless steel iPhones. Whenever I hold my 12 Pro Max, which is my daily driver, it feels more premium than when I switch to using my 7+ or SE 2020. Iā€™m not going by marketing. Iā€™m going by how the phones feel in my hands when I am using them. What I meant by price, is if Iā€™m paying $1k plus for a phone, I want the stainless steel vs aluminum for the premium feeling I feel with the stainless steel. If itā€™s more expensive than aluminum, thatā€™s fine and dandy, but TO ME stainless steel feel more premium than aluminum. I have every right to have that opinion and feel that way just like however you feel about it.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I'm amazed that Pro phone users don't want the weight to get reduced.

I was playing with a friends 12 Pro Max the other day and - my god - it was literally like a patio paver

I would never even dream of carrying that brick around all the time.
No clue how you guys do it

Iā€™m used to it. I wear stretch jeans and still donā€™t have any issues carrying my 12 Pro Max in my pockets. It donā€™t feel heavy to me as I also use thin cases which donā€™t add much of any weight. Even if Apple donā€™t reduce the weight of the Pro iPhones, it still wonā€™t deter me buying one.

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
They will never do that. Most they would do is switch to titanium. But, funny enough, I was considering returning my 12 Pro for the 12 due to the weight. For some reason it felt more pronounced on the 12 series than it had on the X, XS Max or 11 Pro Max the 3 years prior. ??ā€ā™‚ļø

*Should note that I am disabled so that extra weight is more noticeable to me in some instances.*

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
Excuse me, what was it you said earlier:
"not to mention part of something being premium is what society and culture dictate as premium"

Well, droves of people have remarked negatively on how much the stainless sides are a fingerprint magnet and ruins the premium feel of the phone. I take it their opinions don't count now?

Society in general usually treats steel as more precious than aluminum. Maybe you don't individually, and I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion, but go look in any field - stainless steel products/materials are more expensive and more desired. It's what's "in" and trending with consumers. The amount of people who are complaining about stainless steel edges on a phone are extremely outweighed by overall shopping habits.

There are many, many, many people who don't think of Infiniti or Acura as "luxury" but that doesn't change the fact that in the general consensus of the consumer. Because you exist in an echo chamber of similar opinion does not mean that opinion is that universal.

Nobody's telling you not to enjoy aluminum or to value it as premium. Not a single person said their opinion didn't count.

Meanwhile, the other side is essentially insinuating that anyone who thinks of stainless steel being more premium is brainwashed/tricked by advertising. Is it projecting? Or maybe coping? Maybe it's both? Maybe it's Maybelline

Reactions: StaceyMJ86

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I'm amazed that Pro phone users don't want the weight to get reduced.

I was playing with a friends 12 Pro Max the other day and - my god - it was literally like a patio paver

I would never even dream of carrying that brick around all the time.
No clue how you guys do it

Well for starters Iā€™m not a guy so the weight of the 12 Pro Max isnā€™t an issue for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.