Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you prefer aluminium or stainless steel sides?

• Aluminium

Votes: 141 49.6%
  • Stainless steel

Votes: 143 50.4%

• Total voters

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
Makes no sense when aluminium is a more premium material. You've fallen for marketing hype.
That’s ********. Aluminum may cost more (I haven’t investigated this myself) but it feels cheap. No way would I ever want that if I’m paying for a pro model. I like the weight of the current 12 Pro Max.

Reactions: StaceyMJ86

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Ill be honest, an 11 Pro Max is my daily driver. But I used a blue iPhone 12 for a few days while my main driver was being replaced and loved the aluminum feel. Lighter, felt like an optimized version. Loved the blue color as well and how it felt in hand. If they have that blue tone in the 13, I know what my next iPhone will be.

Reactions: Barbareren

ZachNathan

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2014
New York, NY
Personally, I was really hoping they would lean into the iPhone 4/4S design and give us a nice satin powder-blasted steel band. The 4 series to this day still looks the most premium of all iPhones in my opinion.

Alas, I’m not sure the general population agrees so instead we’ll continue getting garish, shiny models to satisfy our animal brains cuz that’s what makes the money.

abinavvenket

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2021
Makes no sense when aluminium is a more premium material. You've fallen for marketing hype.
I’m not a material sciences expert, but as per my quick research, aluminium is actually cheaper than Stainless steel. Atleast the polished stainless version which I’m guessing is what Apple uses for their Pro models.

Reactions: transpo1

Macyourdayy

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Sure, if they don’t charge more than their special stainless, that would probably be ideal.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Society in general usually treats steel as more precious than aluminum. Maybe you don't individually, and I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion, but go look in any field - stainless steel products/materials are more expensive and more desired. It's what's "in" and trending with consumers. The amount of people who are complaining about stainless steel edges on a phone are extremely outweighed by overall shopping habits.

There are many, many, many people who don't think of Infiniti or Acura as "luxury" but that doesn't change the fact that in the general consensus of the consumer. Because you exist in an echo chamber of similar opinion does not mean that opinion is that universal.

Nobody's telling you not to enjoy aluminum or to value it as premium. Not a single person said their opinion didn't count.

Meanwhile, the other side is essentially insinuating that anyone who thinks of stainless steel being more premium is brainwashed/tricked by advertising. Is it projecting? Or maybe coping? Maybe it's both? Maybe it's Maybelline
They should use lead to make it feel even more premium, and satisfy the ones who think weight=quality.

I also should have been more satisfied with the 40kg bike i once had, it surely had a superb premium quality.

Reactions: Barbareren

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I have 2 aluminum iPhones and 3 stainless steel iPhones. Whenever I hold my 12 Pro Max, which is my daily driver, it feels more premium than when I switch to using my 7+ or SE 2020. I’m not going by marketing. I’m going by how the phones feel in my hands when I am using them. What I meant by price, is if I’m paying $1k plus for a phone, I want the stainless steel vs aluminum for the premium feeling I feel with the stainless steel. If it’s more expensive than aluminum, that’s fine and dandy, but TO ME stainless steel feel more premium than aluminum. I have every right to have that opinion and feel that way just like however you feel about it.

Indeed you’re entitled to feel that way. If weight equals premium for some then I’m very glad I have the opposite view.

Reactions: Lwii2boo and MarkX

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The price of 7000 Series Aircraft Aluminum is a known based on current contracts.

It’s hard to compare with the Surgical Stainless Steel in the iPhone as Apple does not list if it‘s Grade 304 or Grade 316. Both are Surgical Grade, however 316 is higher priced.

I can’t find any link to identify which.

I don’t think Apple have ever declared the grade they use other than now saying ‘surgical grade’ which is likely 316L. There are rumours it’s actually ANSI 301 as this is very suitable to the type of fabrication needed in the iPhone. As I said, consumers aren’t paying the premium because stainless steel is a more expensive material. Aluminium right now and into the distant past has cost more per kg. The premium element is the manufacturing processes needed to make these stainless frames. Longer machine cycle times, and higher tool wear mean these frames take perhaps twice as long to manufacture even if this is a matter of minutes. Apple have marketed stainless steel as premium and done so by claiming it’s a better quality material. People have rightly bought into that, but I’m glad I know a bit more of what is involved.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
You all have a lot of emotional investment into a material that compromises a very small part of the phone.

A lot of very opinionated people with condescending tones.

Sadly it’s the old Pro vs Mid tier device mentality where the price dictates whether something is better or not in Apple World. I find the power of marketing to be fascinating and especially in this field.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
3 pages just because someone doesn't understand the difference between steel and "stainless steel".

Me? Don't care, won't update my Xr for another 2-3 years and will put a case around whatever comes next.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
They should use lead to make it feel even more premium, and satisfy the ones who think weight=quality.

I also should have been more satisfied with the 40kg bike i once had, it surely had a superb premium quality.
I guess it's a bit irrelevant now as we're unlikely to see this sort of thing again, but I always thought the super light iPhone 5/5s felt really premium and futuristic at the time when most phones were chunky, heavy plasticky things. It's easy to make something heavy, much more difficult to make it surprisingly light.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I guess it's a bit irrelevant now as we're unlikely to see this sort of thing again, but I always thought the super light iPhone 5/5s felt really premium and futuristic at the time when most phones were chunky, heavy plasticky things. It's easy to make something heavy, much more difficult to make it surprisingly light.

The heavier and shinier perspective seems common but also the suggestion of moving to titanium which will be comparable to aluminium in terms of being lightweight. Once you have a case on your iPhone then the difference or advantage from an aesthetic point of view disappears. It’s the same when someone says stainless doesn’t dent as easily as aluminium which is absolutely correct. If your iPhone is on a case then neither dent as easily either. It’s interesting to see the different perspectives here and perceptions of what ‘quality’ and ‘premium’ means to them.

I’m quite happy with aluminium as for me it’s a premium material, lightweight and is covered in a case 100% of the time. It’s quite irrelevant in terms of how it looks on my iPhone as the only parts you can see are the speaker grills and a 1.5mm border surrounding the charging port lol.

Reactions: Glideslope

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The heavier and shinier perspective seems common but also the suggestion of moving to titanium which will be comparable to aluminium in terms of being lightweight. Once you have a case on your iPhone then the difference or advantage from an aesthetic point of view disappears. It’s the same when someone says stainless doesn’t dent as easily as aluminium which is absolutely correct. If your iPhone is on a case then neither dent as easily either. It’s interesting to see the different perspectives here and perceptions of what ‘quality’ and ‘premium’ means to them.

I’m quite happy with aluminium as for me it’s a premium material, lightweight and is covered in a case 100% of the time. It’s quite irrelevant in terms of how it looks on my iPhone as the only parts you can see are the speaker grills and a 1.5mm border surrounding the charging port lol.
To me it seems a lot of people are just substituting 'heavy' for 'solid/ well built'. Something can feel very solid but also lightweight, like the iPhone 5 series, weight in and of itself (to me) isn't an indicator of quality. Given it takes more effort to make something light than it does to make it heavy, and for something like a phone lighter is actually a practical benefit, it surprises me that people actually value weight itself in this scenario. For something like Gold Jewellery I could understand, but when Apple have made two near identical versions of a phone, and one is heavier just because it uses a different metal finish, that seems a bit of a retrograde step to me, not something to be prized?

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Brushed Stainless Steel > Everything else

I don’t mind the weight, my biggest pet peeve with Stainless Steel is how nasty it looks after just minutes in the hand. Also the fact that it’s so shiny is a bit gaudy tbh.

A brushed version of that would look incredibly premium yet understated and keep clean a lot easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.