Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tharitm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
I'm sure this will be unpopular opinion, but I upgraded from Xs to 12 Mini. I originally wanted 12 Pro, but it was too big in contrast to the Xs. I still have the Xs with me and I still can't believe Apple;

1. bumped up the screen size of the 12 Pro instead of keeping it align with previous models (I get it 11 was bigger than 11 Pro, but 11 was on a LCD screen). The rounded corners and size of X/Xs/11 Pro is just perfect.
2. The 12 Mini is pretty cool with the size, but something I miss is the telephoto zoom. I tried the 12 Pro but it was just too big for me and the squared off edges just doesn't help me out.

Am I alone? Anyone else?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Can't really say yet. I've had an 11 Pro Max for only three months now. We (my wife and I) went from five years on the iPhone 6s/6s+ to a year on a Pixel 3a XL to the iPhone 11 Pro Max. So everything between the iPhone 6s and the 11 we skipped.

Reactions: max2

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Going by sales figures and response to the square design I’d say you’re in the minority. No ones wrong though, we all like different things.

But the dimensional difference isn’t big enough to be noticed once you’re used to the new phone. Maybe you need more time with one to get used to it better?

tharitm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Going by sales figures and response to the square design I’d say you’re in the minority. No ones wrong though, we all like different things.

But the dimensional difference isn’t big enough to be noticed once you’re used to the new phone. Maybe you need more time with one to get used to it better?
Yeah sales figures always is increasing right? 12 sells more than 11 and same will follow for 13. Even if they go back to rounded edges on 14, it'll sell more.

I honestly felt the 12 Pro too big due to the edges and weight. Honestly, I've had the 12 Mini since launch day, got the 12 Pro at first then returned for Mini.

Reactions: prazakj and na1577

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I prefer the cleaner edges and design of the 12 series personally, And aesthetically, but when holding in the hand, the curved edges just feels more comfortable

more slippery but more comfortable

in fact when the iPhone 6 was “new” that curbed design was popular for that reason. Slippery (was often called a soap bar ) but people liked that it didn’t dig into the hands.

after another 5 years of these straight edges maybe apple will go back to curves lol

Reactions: prazakj

keti2377

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2020
Yeah sales figures always is increasing right? 12 sells more than 11 and same will follow for 13. Even if they go back to rounded edges on 14, it'll sell more.

I honestly felt the 12 Pro too big due to the edges and weight. Honestly, I've had the 12 Mini since launch day, got the 12 Pro at first then returned for Mini.
No, it varies year by year. The most iPhones sold in a full year was the iPhone 6 series and analysts believe that the 12 will be the next super cycle and may match the units sold for the 6 series or even surpass it.

Last edited:
Reactions: motulist

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The X, Xs and 11 Pro had an almost perfect screen size being 5.8”. I wish they would have kept the 5.8” screen for the 12 Pro, with the flat edges it would have been more compact overall than the 11 Pro (would have made my decision between 12 mini and 12 pro much harder though lol). But alas no, Apple decided on the strange decision to sell 2 6.1” iphones ??‍♂️.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
The X, Xs and 11 Pro had an almost perfect screen size being 5.8”. I wish they would have kept the 5.8” screen for the 12 Pro, with the flat edges it would have been more compact overall than the 11 Pro (would have made my decision between 12 mini and 12 pro much harder though lol). But alas no, Apple decided on the strange decision to sell 2 6.1” iphones ??‍♂️.
I believe the 6.1” display on iPhone 12 Pro takes up the same body size or even less than the 5.8”.

I suppose they could have just shrunk the phone further, but they probably found that the average consumer would prefer a larger display.

Xak444

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2021
I'm sure this will be unpopular opinion, but I upgraded from Xs to 12 Mini. I originally wanted 12 Pro, but it was too big in contrast to the Xs. I still have the Xs with me and I still can't believe Apple;

1. bumped up the screen size of the 12 Pro instead of keeping it align with previous models (I get it 11 was bigger than 11 Pro, but 11 was on a LCD screen). The rounded corners and size of X/Xs/11 Pro is just perfect.
2. The 12 Mini is pretty cool with the size, but something I miss is the telephoto zoom. I tried the 12 Pro but it was just too big for me and the squared off edges just doesn't help me out.

Am I alone? Anyone else?
I love the square design. But I do think the curved edges just work better in the hand.

• Love
Reactions: prazakj

Jake3231

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2021

Am I alone? Anyone else?
I agree that the X-11 design was great. I am currently using an iPhone XS as well, and it's been the best iPhone I've ever used - and not just because it's the newest. Combined with the power of the A12, the iPhone X design has aged really well and feels great in the hand. And it has 3D Touch!

I'm thinking of upgrading to the 2021 model iPhones (assuming that they're at least a decent improvement) but it would definitely take that extra year of refinement to convince me to move away from an already-great phone that's arguably better in some ways. I am also concerned about the 6.1" display, though it looks like I'd realistically get used to it. I would also like the mini sized phone, though the Pro features (at least the rumored ones) are important to me.

Reactions: JDnLex

pw5a29

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
Coventry, United Kingdom
I like the look of the 12 more.

But my palm says otherwise, holding long on the squared 12, actually gives me discomfort on the palm. It has better grip though, so regarding the new design, i'm 50/50

Reactions: Orka

RonaldReads

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2020
I have the 11 Pro - not a huge fan of the design though after some time. The 4S has always been one of my favourites and the 12 lineup has somewhat a similar design. With that being said, the improvement is too marginal for me to upgrade just yet :(

Reactions: Jake3231

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I liked the design of the X/Xs/11 series, but I'm glad Apple went back to the flat sides from back in the 4/4s/5 series days.

Reactions: -BigMac-

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I have an X and love the size/design but I have no issues with the 12 series design either. I've enjoyed each design change for different reasons and am confident future iPhones won't disappoint me

navier

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2011
Germany
If there were no camera bump, the iPhone 12 would be the best styling ever in my opinion.
5+X in one.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I personally prefer the squared design. I have not tried the X design though. I have an iPhone 8 and while I don't hate the design, I also prefer the squared design of my old Sony Xperia over the iPhone 8 (the Sony was personal phone, the iPhone was a company phone). The squared design of the 12 was one compelling reason for me to consider Apple phone over getting another Android phone. Not top 1 but still one reason. Top 1 was the camera setup and the progress on the computational photography front.

Also I do prefer the squared design of the 2018 iPP onwards compared to the rounded corners of the older iPads. Overall I am all for the squared design come to think about it.

That being said I would have preferred 5.8 squared phone. I do find the Pro a bit to big, but the mini is too small for my eyes. I don't want the rounded corners design. I want a tad smaller phone with the squared design.

P.S: I always use a case with my phones so I am not affected by any grip issues with the squared design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.