Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
I can take my XS from the drawer where it now languishes and still think OMG what a lovely design and perfect size, yet I feel obliged to use my 12PM because it cost me big bucks more recently. Year on year Apple proclaim X% faster CPU and Y% better camera but those monkey numbers mean nothing and what remains important to us are our personal preferences, how a thing feels in our hand, how it looks to our eye, if we are constantly aware and irked by its weight in our pocket, whether it's a purchase we are proud of or regret. And the great thing about personal preferences is that we can all be right, so everyone's a winner. Especially Apple.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I’d go back to an 11 Pro in a heartbeat given the chance. I don’t mind the size/weight of the 12 Pro much but it’s still bigger than I’d prefer. If there was someone around me willing to swap even it’d be a done deal, so long as I was getting more than 64GB.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I found the 12 pro max to feel a lot bigger than the 11pm and xspm. Switched to a 12 pro, and to me, it's exactly the perfect size for a phone. Shapewise I think the previous one felt better in the hand, but like the look of this just a bit better.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
No. I prefer the squared design of my iPhone 12 Pro Max.

I am not saying the X through 11 Pro Max were ugly phones (I owned all of the them and really enjoyed the way they looked), they were not, but the iPhone 12 Pro models just looks better and feels more solid structurally.

Plus, Pacific Blue is the best color of any iPhone in my opinion and that certainly adds to my love for it!

:apple:

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I've had the 11 Pro Max before I upgraded to the 12 Pro Max and I definitely prefer the 12 Pro Max - it's just a much better design when holding the device. I personally love that it's bigger, to me, bigger is better. I use my phone pretty consistently throughout the day (only no use when I'm at work because I'm a responsible employee), so the big screen is a must for me. The weight of it really doesn't bother me, even having had it since launch. Never once does it cramp up my hands when using it or hurts my hands in any way when I'm holding it. It's good that there are options for everyone's use!

Reactions: SRLMJ23

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
I just upgraded from the XS to the 12 pro. I loved the XS design, but I love the 12 pro design too. I don’t notice the difference in size. The only thing I really miss is the portfolio case sold by Apple. I have a new portfolio case that’s nice, but the 12 doesn’t have the on/off with magnet feature like the XS did.

lewchenko

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
I think Apple’s design peaked with the XS. The gold version of that phone was the best phone I ever had (except the battery). Downhill since in my opinion. Especially the 12 pro series. At least the regular didn’t have the finger print magnet shiny sides.

but I accept others like them as they remind us of the 5 era.

This years will be the same design (sigh).
But I’m sure I’d get used to it if I upgraded my brick of an 11 Pro Max to a 13 variant.

Reactions: tharitm

thechickadee

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2021
From an aesthetic point, i prefer my 12 any day as compared to x. But when you're holding it on your hand, the x felt way better because of the rounded of edges

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2017
Nope. The 12/12 Pro design looks vastly better, the straight edges look smart. I have an 11 Pro and am very envious! The X design is ancient - its from 2017, which in the tech world, is a pretty looong time ago

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
Between my XS and my wife's 12 Pro, I prefer the XS for size and feel in the hand. That's also true for me for the iPad's - I prefer the rounded corners of the classic iPad shape over the 2018 onwards 'Pro' iPad shape.

Those squared off edges look very nice, but they just don't feel as comfortable in the hand for me.

Reactions: prazakj and na1577

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Nope. The 12/12 Pro design looks vastly better, the straight edges look smart. I have an 11 Pro and am very envious! The X design is ancient - its from 2017, which in the tech world, is a pretty looong time ago
In that case, the iPhone 4 & 5 design which are pretty much the same as 12 are from 2010 & 12 - it's just a matter of preference, nothing more. One looks dated to you because Apple told you the one with flat edges is the latest and greatest

Reactions: Regina del Mare

Duckhunter

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2014
I recently got my hands on a 12 pro max and came from an 11 pro max. And I must say the square edges on the 12 do not disappoint. Feels like I’m holding an iPhone 4 but with way more advanced tech. I think it’s personal preference but the square edges are the bees knees in my eyes!

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I've gone through iPhone 4 then the 6 and now the X...I've got my hands on the iPhone 12 today. I can't get my fingers around it but something just feels off about it. I'm still holding off for an upgrade so I'm hoping next year's design will be back to rounded edge.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
These are only my opinions based on experience…

Original iPhone. Bar of soap slippery, but I held onto it with the Kung Fu grip. No big deal.

iPhone 4. Same size. Much easier to hold with confidence to not slip.

iPhone 5. Easy to hold with confidence.

iPhone 6. Huge bar of soap. Too big. Too slippery. Dropped and broke the screen. Replaced screen and bought Apple silicone case.

iPhone XR. Huge. Apple didn’t sell a case for this phone. Huge mistake on their part. Coulda made tons of money. Bought a silicone Spigen case.

iPhone 12. Bought an Apple silicone case immediately. This phone is smaller overall than the XR. I can’t use it one-handed, but to me, it is so much more holdable than the XR.

Having said all that, the 12 OLED screen sucks. The battery drains for no reason. I’d go back to the XR if I could, but it’s too late.

Reactions: sorgo †

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I love the shape and feel of the mini 12. I can’t say the same thing for the 12 pro max or regular 12. It looks great but the feel is off on those big phones.

Reactions: prazakj

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I'm sure this will be unpopular opinion, but I upgraded from Xs to 12 Mini. I originally wanted 12 Pro, but it was too big in contrast to the Xs. I still have the Xs with me and I still can't believe Apple;

1. bumped up the screen size of the 12 Pro instead of keeping it align with previous models (I get it 11 was bigger than 11 Pro, but 11 was on a LCD screen). The rounded corners and size of X/Xs/11 Pro is just perfect.
2. The 12 Mini is pretty cool with the size, but something I miss is the telephoto zoom. I tried the 12 Pro but it was just too big for me and the squared off edges just doesn't help me out.

Am I alone? Anyone else?
Nope.
I love the flat edges.
4/4s was my favourite design because of it.
i hope they retain this design for the next few years, simply beautiful:)

anitak1982

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2017
West Central Ohio
iPhone 12. Bought an Apple silicone case immediately. This phone is smaller overall than the XR. I can’t use it one-handed, but to me, it is so much more holdable than the XR.
I am a very small woman with tiny child-size hands and feet. (I say feet for reference size as I wear a size 2 1/2) I can hold my 12 just fine one-handed because I have a finger ring attached to the back of the case.

Reactions: mebehere

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Wasn't the XS Max era the last Jony Ive iphone? Which actually explains a lot with the later iphones released LOL.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The X,XS and 11 Pro are very nice, premium, solidly built iPhones. The 5.8 screen in particular is just right, and close to the perfect size. The 12 series with the iconic iPhone 4 flat edge design is utterly beautiful though especially the 12 mini.

Reactions: prazakj

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
The previous models were too slippery for me. Always had to have a case. The 12 is the first model since the 5 that I can hold without a case with no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.