Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bq06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
when i click on maps and press the crosshair button in the bottom left to locate me, it is pin-pointing my location in greensboro, north caronlina...and i'm currently in houston, tx! :eek:

i restored it and got the upgraded xxxx47 firmware....any other ideas or has anyone else heard of/experienced this issue? :confused:

thanks!

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
mines really accurate

and moved smoothly with me when i was driving, no jumping around.

bq06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
i did a restore already. when you say reset, do you mean power down and then power back up? i've tried that... :(

i have been connected through wi-fi with my router. i selected the option to disable wi-fi so now i have full bars 3g and it actually can't detect my location whatsoever - even if i go outside and walk around for a few minutes.

wow, i just disabled 3g and EDGE was able to find my location. i re-enabled 3g and my GPS worked fine - i drove around the block and tested it out.

now that i came back inside and re-enabled wi-fi and reconnected to my linksys router, it is again finding my location in north carolina!!! how strange?!?! :eek:

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
mine isn't nearly that far off, but I'm finding that if I'm inside the house my location can be up to 8-10 miles off or so. I have to scroll my map a bit to see my actual location.
If I'm outside, then the gps tends to find my location ok and track me exactly where I am, although it's slightly slow to update if I'm in the car (I guess due to the refresh rate).

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
I once heard that Apple is using a combonation of GPS, wi-fi, and cell towers to pinpoint locations. I'm wondering if your ISP's backbone goes through NC, so when it tries to pinpoint you via your IP address it comes up as being in NC.

When you disabled everything but the GPS and went outside, it worked fine. There are a bunch of "Locate Me" type sites online. I'd try one of those to see if it pinpoints you as being in NC. Then you'd have your answer.

reboad

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2008
Finland
As you can see from my information, I live in finland.

Well, the iphone located me to south spain's coast two times while playing with it indoors! Now that's what I'd call WAAAY off!

It does get it right everytime when I'm outside ^^

Oh, and the two times it was exactly the same spot, some factory area I guess from the satellite images.

rellik

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2008
As you can see from my information, I live in finland.

Well, the iphone located me to south spain's coast two times while playing with it indoors! Now that's what I'd call WAAAY off!

It does get it right everytime when I'm outside ^^

Oh, and the two times it was exactly the same spot, some factory area I guess from the satellite images.

Apparently I'm right smack in the middle of the Arctic Ocean!

andyhargreaves

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2007
Just tested this, and I am astounded. Inside my lounge, at the back of the house, Maps finds me with a GPS signal, and places me on my front driveway.

Cool!

EDIT: This really is the GodPhone - it can read minds. Mine just spontaneously moved the little dot right over to the pub around the corner - just where I'd rather be than doing housework all day ;)

andreas4

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Similar problem here: Wrong position data in the pictures.

I think the problem is pretty clear: The photos tell me a position 11°41 West, whereas Munich is located at 11°41 East. Also, some of the Australians have been moved to the northern hemisphere.... :D

Google maps works fine....

kdarling

macrumors P6
i did a restore already. when you say reset, do you mean power down and then power back up? i've tried that... :(

Nope, I mean a reset. Hold down the Home button and Standby/Power button until an apple appears, then release and wait for reboot.

Every new iPhone should get a reset. Apple should do it at the factory, really.

now that i came back inside and re-enabled wi-fi and reconnected to my linksys router, it is again finding my location in north carolina!!! how strange?!?! :eek:

Has your router been in NC?

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Go outside and let it set its self. Even if it takes a while.

I had the same problem yesterday and a forum user suggested that and it works perfectly. Took a while but now it knows where I am it's accurate and fast. Better with 3G switched on as well.

bq06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Nope, the router has never been in NC to my knowledge - i bought it about a month ago.

I'll try doing the reset later today.

Going outside worked fine, but not until i disconnected from 3g. Once I reconnected to my wi-fi and 3g it was confused again...

also i should say when it was finding me in NC, it never actually pin-pointed me by showing the solid blue circle. what it did was show the large blue circle (attempting to narrow in) and then the circle got smaller and smaller, but never actually finished by showing the solid blue circle. it seems to be quite confused... :confused:

do you think this is a hardware issue or a software issue?

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Thats weird. My locate me isnt working at all. On twitter the locate me is grayed out and on Google Maps the circle just spins and never finds me.

Anyone know whats up?
Im in NJ btw

Johnpartridge

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
hey. I'm finding gps to be one of the best features on my iPhone, located me in around 5seconds. And has about 5meters accuracy indoors and less than a meter outdoors. I'm in the UK.

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008

i have been connected through wi-fi with my router. i selected the option to disable wi-fi so now i have full bars 3g and it actually can't detect my location whatsoever - even if i go outside and walk around for a few minutes.

wow, i just disabled 3g and EDGE was able to find my location. i re-enabled 3g and my GPS worked fine - i drove around the block and tested it out.

Sounds like maybe it doesn't know where your router is and it is trying to use that instead of the GPS (due to signal strength?).

There is a website, maybe someone on here remembers what it is, or you can search on here, it is where I found it) that allows you to submit your location and router info so it updates its database. That really helped my location prior to GPS.

EDIT: Here is a link to the thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/452660/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.