Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
mine was showing me miles off from where i was when i just tried it right now

reset it and it works perfect now.

spot on.

genkuro

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Is the accuracy a 3g only thing?

My 1st gen actually got much worse after the 2.0 upgrade. It's a few miles off. I reset it. Same results. Maybe I need to wait a few minutes or something.

wildcardd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2007
Denver, CO
Nope, the router has never been in NC to my knowledge - i bought it about a month ago.

I'll try doing the reset later today.

Going outside worked fine, but not until i disconnected from 3g. Once I reconnected to my wi-fi and 3g it was confused again...

also i should say when it was finding me in NC, it never actually pin-pointed me by showing the solid blue circle. what it did was show the large blue circle (attempting to narrow in) and then the circle got smaller and smaller, but never actually finished by showing the solid blue circle. it seems to be quite confused... :confused:

do you think this is a hardware issue or a software issue?

Yeah, you aren't getting a GPS signal indoors. The phone was trying to use cell tower triangulation. My guess that the 3G tower has the wrong data attached to it.

bq06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
the last poster may be right that the 3g tower near me has the wrong data because it is working elsewhere in Houston now. Maybe a few others with the same problem have similar problems because of an incorrectly configured 3g tower. Anyone know if this does sometimes happen with towers? Think they'll correct it?

Ps - this is my first post with my iPhone :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.