Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
14 Pro is an awesome phone, don't get me wrong. But I have following nitpicks:

* Battery. I thought the battery was gonna be king. After all, it's a Pro phone. And Apple's own "compare iPhone" site says that 14 Pro has 23 hours video playback and 20 hours streamed video playback, whereas base 14 has only 20 hours video playback and 16 hours streamed video playback. Yet, the 14 Pro seems to have worse battery in basically every comparison video I've seen, e.g.
, and
, and
. Basically it seems to have the worst battery of the entire 14 lineup. And these videos are with constant usage, I imagine the Pro will be even worse with some standby time due to the Always On display using a bit of batter was well.
* Dynamic Island. Basically I never use it. Apple sold it well during the keynote, but I don't see any usage. In contrast, it takes up way more vertical space than the notch. Whereas the notch started from the very top of the phone, the dynamic island starts further down on the screen, which in my opinion is a clear drawback. Unfortunately the entire 15 lineup seems to get rid of the notch.
* Weight. This is the biggest issue for me. Damn it's heavy for a regular size phone. Why did they make the Pro model in another material. I highly doubt users want this. If they would, Apple would have used the same material for the iPad Pro and it would then weigh almost as much as the 12.9" Pro.

I do love the ProMotion display though. I hope the entire lineup will have it sooner or later. I'm really gonna miss it. Other than that, I'm not gonna miss anything.

What about you guys? I know the Pro has some things the base 14 doesn't. So I get why it's called pro.
- But the battery is certainly not Pro.
- And the Dynamic Island, in my opinion, is not Pro.
- And most of all, the weight is absolutely not Pro.

Am I being too harsh? Maybe I'm gonna complain with the 15 of having "last years CPU" and "last years camera tech" and so on. Anyone in the same boat as me?

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I tried going from a 13pro to a regular 14 and as much as I loved the weight and how comfortable it was to use one handed I just couldn’t do the 60hz screen. It felt like such a downgrade. I’m used to reading while scrolling and the 14 text was just too blurry to do that. Everything just looked choppy. I can’t go back to 60hz so I just hope the 15pro is lighter cause the 15 isn’t getting promotion. I feel like they could at least bump it to 90hz but I know that’s unlikely.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I tried going from a 13pro to a regular 14 and as much as I loved the weight and how comfortable it was to use one handed I just couldn’t do the 60hz screen. It felt like such a downgrade. I’m used to reading while scrolling and the 14 text was just too blurry to do that. Everything just looked choppy. I can’t go back to 60hz so I just hope the 15pro is lighter cause the 15 isn’t getting promotion. I feel like they could at least bump it to 90hz but I know that’s unlikely.
That’s what makes the text look fuzzy? Explains a lot why I see that in plus and air compares to pros. Thought I needed 🤓 but don’t have this issues on the pros 😝

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I’d go to the iPhone 15 if it has Dynamic Island and AOD — though I haven’t heard any rumors they will have both, or either feature. I’m already planning on holding onto my 14 Pro for at least another year and wait for the 16 series to upgrade.

Reactions: MisterMillz

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Kinda on same subject, I’m debating going from 14 PM to the plus as it would be a difference of £16 a month on a 30gb tarriff. I’m on an o2 switch up so can change whenever I fancy. Really like the 14 PM but I think the price difference is quite good and can’t see it being this much going forward.

Last edited:

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
I’ve just moved from 14 Pro to a 13 mini as it’s likely the last chance to buy new once the 15 range comes out. Had one before I got my 14 Pro and missed the size and weight.

If the 15 Pro is much lighter then I might consider it.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
I’ve just moved from 14 Pro to a 13 mini as it’s likely the last chance to buy new once the 15 range comes out. Had one before I got my 14 Pro and missed the size and weight.

If the 15 Pro is much lighter then I might consider it.
Have they EVER gotten lighter? No, frustrates me also. Where is the "Innovation" in a more comfortable package?

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
That’s what makes the text look fuzzy? Explains a lot why I see that in plus and air compares to pros. Thought I needed 🤓 but don’t have this issues on the pros 😝
Yeah it’s the same reason I sent the iPad mini 6 back. Was getting headaches when reading on it because I slowly scroll while reading. No issues with the iPad Pro/13pro

Reactions: kp98077

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Have they EVER gotten lighter? No, frustrates me also. Where is the "Innovation" in a more comfortable package?
Agreed. They used to make them lighter and thinner until the 8 series. Now every year the chip is more power efficient but the battery gets bigger. I would be fine with aluminum instead of ss just to get the pro closer to the weight of the standard phone. Titanium is lighter than SS but the battery is supposed to get bigger again this year so I’m doubtful the 15pro with go under 200gs. Hopefully I’m wrong.

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
If the regular 15 had ProMotion I would probably go for it. The Pro camera and stainless steel are not big features for me, but i do like the smoothness of ProMotion.

The Pro camera bumps are getting annoyingly large, and one has to wonder how much bigger Apple is going to make these things. That is probably my biggest complaint about the current Pro (I currently have the 14 Pro).

My favorite sized phone was the 11 Pro. 5.8" was perfect and the camera bump was not so huge.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
If the regular 15 had ProMotion I would probably go for it. The Pro camera and stainless steel are not big features for me, but i do like the smoothness of ProMotion.

The Pro camera bumps are getting annoyingly large, and one has to wonder how much bigger Apple is going to make these things. That is probably my biggest complaint about the current Pro (I currently have the 14 Pro).

My favorite sized phone was the 11 Pro. 5.8" was perfect and the camera bump was not so huge.

Damn. Word for word how I feel.

Reactions: VineRider

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Yeah it’s the same reason I sent the iPad mini 6 back. Was getting headaches when reading on it because I slowly scroll while reading. No issues with the iPad Pro/13pro
yes seeing same thing a little bit on the 15 air..

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
I have the 12 Mini here, battery is short lol. Would prefer the Plus next phone maybe on the 16/17 Plus

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
If you are into photography, there is really no way back from 48mp raw back to 12mp jpg/heic on standard iphones.

Reactions: Doug Vann

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Maybe it is me being weird but i honestly dont see the difference in 60 hz vs 120 hz between my iphone 11 and 14 pro.....like what am i supposed to be lookiing for?

In regards to the Original post,

I wish apple was making the iphone 15 mini simply because I can sort of live with the weaker battery time, the compactness of it was amazing on the 12/13....i just want the dynamic island.

Depending on the phone's feature set, I am likely to get a 15 plus instead of a Pro Max this time

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I'm into photography but lol can't afford Apple's extreme prices of storage in order to save raw photos.
I probably have a bad habit of living with low storage, which makes me batch shoot raws and edit them on my laptop(which thankfully has 512gb) then only save couple good shots in jpg and call it a day. So yeah i run heavy on storage but for few days only until i offload.

Last edited:

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
I would be throwing money at Apple for a Pro if it weighed the same as the non pro (or even lighter). As it is my next phone will probably be a non pro again since it will probably be lighter. I hope I’m wrong.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I would be throwing money at Apple for a Pro if it weighed the same as the non pro (or even lighter). As it is my next phone will probably be a non pro again since it will probably be lighter. I hope I’m wrong.
That’s one disappointment I have with my Pro Max: the weight. A minor gripe but still annoying.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I probably have a bad habit of living with low storage, which makes me batch shoot raws and edit them on my laptop(which thankfully has 512gb) then only save couple good shots in jpg and call it a day. So yeah i run heavy on storage but for few days only until i offload.
That’s what I use to do as well, but I finally set aside extra cash for more storage on my iPhone. It’s expensive, but better than having to throw out good pictures.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
If you are into photography, there is really no way back from 48mp raw back to 12mp jpg/heic on standard iphones.

That’s definitely hyperbolic.

There are some amazing ppl I’ve seen with non pro photos that look amazing.

A strong camera is definitely key but it also takes talent and knowledge as well to take an amazing photo.

Reactions: TVreporter

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
That’s one disappointment I have with my Pro Max: the weight. A minor gripe but still annoying.
I so wanted the features on the Pro when I bought the 13 and the price difference was irrelevant to me, I just didn’t want that heavy of a phone. I totally understand.

There are a lot of people that don’t like the weight of the Pro models, I don’t understand why Apple insists on it. The 14 Plus weighs about the same as the 8 Plus did (and about the same size) and that was the flagship big phone at the time and nobody complained about it being too light. I just don’t understand.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I so wanted the features on the Pro when I bought the 13 and the price difference was irrelevant to me, I just didn’t want that heavy of a phone. I totally understand.

There are a lot of people that don’t like the weight of the Pro models, I don’t understand why Apple insists on it. The 14 Plus weighs about the same as the 8 Plus did (and about the same size) and that was the flagship big phone at the time and nobody complained about it being too light. I just don’t understand.
I mean you can't expect apple to be able to cater to every person's preferences.
There are many who dont like the current sizes and were fine with the original SE size and weight.

Apple does need to pay attention to market and the market has shown it wants bigger phones like the pro max. Keep in mind that the Pro Max models are around the same weight as the S23 ultra.

Reactions: maxrest
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.