Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Getting the base 15 for much the same reason. I bought the 14 Pro because of the dynamic island, better battery life, and the camera.

Wife has a base 14.

Dynamic Island - I mean, it's 'nice' but is in no way a defining reason why I need a Pro. I can take it or leave it.
Battery life - again, is nice, but honestly, for my day to day stuff, there's only been one two week stretch of time (UK vacation) where having the extra battery life is nice...and I still carried a backup battery pack.
Camera - it's awesome, but it's not like my wife's photos on her 14 are terrible, not by a long shot.

There's also the weight. I know it sounds silly to some, but when you're constantly using it and carrying it, the weight is a big deal.

When the 15 comes out I'll gladly get it.

Reactions: johannnn

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Maybe it is me being weird but i honestly dont see the difference in 60 hz vs 120 hz between my iphone 11 and 14 pro.....like what am i supposed to be lookiing for?

In regards to the Original post,

I wish apple was making the iphone 15 mini simply because I can sort of live with the weaker battery time, the compactness of it was amazing on the 12/13....i just want the dynamic island.

Depending on the phone's feature set, I am likely to get a 15 plus instead of a Pro Max this time
Some people don’t see it as much as others. To me, everything just looks very choppy on 60hz models. Even simple animations like closing an app I can see a huge difference. The other issue is text blurring while scrolling. If you scroll then read it’s probably not an issue for you but I slowly scroll while reading so the blur of the text bothers me. It wasn’t as bad on my 12 mini but the iPad mini 6 would give me headaches. Now that I’ve gotten used to 120hz there’s just no going back. I wish I could because the standard 14 is so much lighter/more comfortable than the pro.

Reactions: saberfi

saberfi

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
I’m thinking about this too.

The main issue with iphone 14 pro for me is the weight. It is nowhere near as comfortable to hold in one hand than eg. the normal 12. My pinky finger especially feels it - and it’s somewhat annoying that the camera bump also rubs against the index finger.

I do appreciate the 120hz display though. It’s a major improvement over the alternative, and it’d be a shame to lose it.

Heres to hoping that the possible titanium frame makes a difference. Otherwise I might try the 15, and see how it goes. If the lack of ProMotion is too big of an issue, then I’d return it and grab the 15 pro.

Benhama

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2013
Guernsey
I so wanted the features on the Pro when I bought the 13 and the price difference was irrelevant to me, I just didn’t want that heavy of a phone. I totally understand.

There are a lot of people that don’t like the weight of the Pro models, I don’t understand why Apple insists on it. The 14 Plus weighs about the same as the 8 Plus did (and about the same size) and that was the flagship big phone at the time and nobody complained about it being too light. I just don’t understand.
I made the same choice as you, albeit I do miss not having a telephoto lens on my 13. For that reason I'll probably be upgrading to a 15 Pro when they become available.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I made the same choice as you, albeit I do miss not having a telephoto lens on my 13. For that reason I'll probably be upgrading to a 15 Pro when they become available.
I moved from 11 Pro Max to 13 Mini. The lack of a telephoto lens is noticeable. I look forward to buying a Pro when Apple introduce an optical 4-8x telephoto lens.

Reactions: Benhama

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
One month later, now with all information available.

15 Pro shaves some weight, which is great. At the same time, the base 15 gets the same chip as the 14 Pro which is known to overheat. I can't really decide on base 15 or 15 Pro. Promotion is great, but I don't know if it's worth the extra price and the extra weight.

What is the thinking of other forum members?

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012

15 Pro shaves some weight, which is great. At the same time, the base 15 gets the same chip as the 14 Pro which is known to overheat. I can't really decide on base 15 or 15 Pro. Promotion is great, but I don't know if it's worth the extra price and the extra weight.

I preordered the 15pro. I love my 13pro, I just wanted it to weight less so the 15 pro was a pretty easy decision for me. I ordered a couple cases but for the most part I’m going to try to go caseless to further reduce weight since the 15s are supposed to be more comfortable in hand. I don’t think the 16 gram difference between the pro and non pro is worth giving up promotion for.

Reactions: RRC

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006

I've had no issues w/my 14 Pro and I used the living crap out of it. With that said, I purchased it straight from Apple and it's got AppleCare+, so if I have issues, I'll be good.

christlinah

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2022
Austria
I've ordered a regular 15 since I really love that pink color... don't know if I'm gonna keep it though, depends on how bad ProMotion and ProRAW will be missed. We'll see.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012

ProMotion is a must. Once you get used to it, there’s no going back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.