Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
the person I am selling it to needs a 'Bill of Sale' receipt in order to transfer the title and have found some forms online that say they are 'free' but when I download it they always cost money....

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Check your state's BMV/DMV. Some states offer free bill of sale forms that conform to the requirements for that state.

Super T

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2016
Aurora, IL
Make/model/year/trim, VIN, Odometer reading, price, acknowledgement of receipt of title (or that there is none), signatures, date.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Check your state's BMV/DMV. Some states offer free bill of sale forms that conform to the requirements for that state.
This is the sanest way.

But you can write your own simple sales contract if you really want.

"Party A (name, drivers license number) sells Item X (VIN) to Party B (name, drivers license number) in exchange for _____ (include dollar figure) on date (date of transaction, location)." That establishes who is buying what from whom for what amount on what date and where (the latter is important for jurisdiction).

Including the phrase "All laws governing private party automobile transactions in the state of ______ are applicable" shows that both parties agree to the state's regulations. The big one in my state relates to smog compliance.

At least in my state, the title needs to be free and clear to indicate that the seller doesn't have any outstanding obligations (like registration fee payments). All of this is covered in the state's vehicle code so saying "both parties are following state regulations" eliminate the necessity to regurgitate all of the individual points.

If you want, you can throw in a line like "the sale is final and non-refundable" if that is the case. Once the buyer signs, it is clear that he/she accepted this particular term.

Do not rely on Pages to provide templates for legal documents. They vary by juridiction.

Last edited:

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Thanks...this one looked promising as an actual free one, but it is one of those that you have to sign up for it but you get a 'free' trial where they will charge you...I don't trust those but it seems like everyone seems to do that

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Download it!

Thanks...this one looked promising as an actual free one, but it is one of those that you have to sign up for it but you get a 'free' trial where they will charge you...I don't trust those but it seems like everyone seems to do that

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Hmm, my experience was different. . I clicked on the site & was able to select my state, then on the right of the screen was able to download a PDF without having to create an account or give any personal info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.