Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have a really hard time finding bands I really like. Sport bands are okay for when I’m gonna be in water, but I don’t love them, especially in summer around here.

I can’t stand the sport loops because I get a big, bulgy loop where it flips back over to stick back to itself.

I like the solo loops for lack of bulk, but they are like sport bands in summer here - straight up misery.

I like the braided loop concept, also for lack of bulk, and they are much more breathable, but my Amazon knockoffs actually fit better and breathe better than Apple’s for about 1/10 of the price.

I want to like the leather link, but now I’m reading the new ones don’t feel as secure, so I’m nervous about buying one.

I love my Apple leather bands (the original ones with the buckles), but they are getting pretty worn, and I do like my nylon buckles.

I want all the pretty colors, but I rarely put on a band other than my leather or knockoff braided loop.

I did just order a metal link band from amazon in starlight - gonna see how that actually looks with the watch when it arrives. Maybe that can be my daily for a while.

Anyone else have trouble finding Apple faves?

schlupps

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2020
RheinMain - Germany
i finally comin back to the braided loops, the alpine loop (surprisingly pretty comfy and 'breathy'!) and those leather links from amazon in the occasional rotation =). The amazon leather links feel pretty solid, magnets are working as expected, but cannot tell thus far, how durable they are. I accidentally used them when riding motorbike (for which i usually dont use magnetic bands!) and had absolutely no issues. Cannot tell the exact reason, why i dont use the apple leather links that often, to be honest =/

Last edited:

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
i finally comin back to the braided loops, the mountain loop (surprisingly pretty comfy and 'breathy'!) and those leather links from amazon in the occasional rotation =). The amazon leather links feel pretty solid, magnets are working as expected, but cannot tell thus far, how durable they are. I accidentally used them when riding motorbike (for which i usually dont use magnetic bands!) and had absolutely no issues. Cannot tell the exact reason, why i dont use the apple leather links that often, to be honest =/

Ordered one of those leather links to try. I like the leather link because there is no exposed metal, so they don’t clash if you have different metals on your watches. For instance I have starlight right now, and I don’t like the way the stainless looks with it. It’s difficult to find stuff with starlight metal, so I tend to want to go with bands that have no exposed metal, hence solo loops, braided loops, sport bands, etc. I just don’t love them all.

Hopefully this will work because at 1/5 of the price of Apple’s, I’ll take it! ;-p

Reactions: schlupps

schlupps

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2020
RheinMain - Germany
Bildschirmfoto 2022-09-25 um 17.32.56.png

holy.. ill never learn, how to truthfully catch colors :oops:

the one named "magenta" looks in person more.. errrmm.. 'burgundy'.
And yes.. the chestnut is a good choice ;)

Reactions: Yomama126

SusieS

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
I have a really hard time finding bands I really like. Sport bands are okay for when I’m gonna be in water, but I don’t love them, especially in summer around here.

I can’t stand the sport loops because I get a big, bulgy loop where it flips back over to stick back to itself.

I like the solo loops for lack of bulk, but they are like sport bands in summer here - straight up misery.

I like the braided loop concept, also for lack of bulk, and they are much more breathable, but my Amazon knockoffs actually fit better and breathe better than Apple’s for about 1/10 of the price.

I want to like the leather link, but now I’m reading the new ones don’t feel as secure, so I’m nervous about buying one.

I love my Apple leather bands (the original ones with the buckles), but they are getting pretty worn, and I do like my nylon buckles.

I want all the pretty colors, but I rarely put on a band other than my leather or knockoff braided loop.

I did just order a metal link band from amazon in starlight - gonna see how that actually looks with the watch when it arrives. Maybe that can be my daily for a while.

Yes. I only wear sport loops for a number of reasons, but Apple hasn’t released a sport loop that really appeals to me for 2 years now. This last release is marginally better, at least they dumped the half-stripe, but still very muted (other than the red). Every release day I get my hopes up and then feel let down. I like the sport loops from several years ago so I end up buying knockoffs of the old colors instead of trying to hunt down OEM ones at often inflated prices on eBay. Sometimes I wish Apple would invite users to submit their ideas for bands. I would suggest offering more like the old solid colors. It seems the designers want all sport loops to have stripes now.

Last edited:

schlupps

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2020
RheinMain - Germany
I only wear Nike sport bands, they’re perfect for California summer
in this regard, the alpine loop might be worth a look! Surprisingly, it really feels super lightweight and breathy/airy! It feels even less obstrusive, than braided solo loops or sport loops.
Too bad i have no chance at the moment to test it under real californian conditions - but my bet would be, that it might work pretty well =)

Reactions: jz0309

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
in this regard, the alpine loop might be worth a look! Surprisingly, it really feels super lightweight and breathy/airy! It feels even less obstrusive, than braided solo loops or sport loops.
Too bad i have no chance at the moment to test it under real californian conditions - but my bet would be, that it might work pretty well =)
I actually have/had a couple sport loops, I shower with my watch on and you can't easily dry them, that's why I don't use them, and for all I know the alpine loop is similar material. But I will certainly check them out when I get to visit an Apple Store.

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019

My favorite has always been the leather loop and I'm so sad Apple stopped making them. I would have loved it in the Umber color they released for the leather link this year. It is a really beautiful color, easy to wear and comfortable. Alas, I am sending back the leather link because it kept falling off or getting loose :( I may try the longer M/L one when I get a chance to get to a store but I think it might be too long. My wrists aren't super tiny but the S/M size has always fit well so I'm not sure if it's the magnets or just bad fit.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
View attachment 2079805

holy.. ill never learn, how to truthfully catch colors :oops:

the one named "magenta" looks in person more.. errrmm.. 'burgundy'.
And yes.. the chestnut is a good choice ;)

LOL, well I got mine and didn’t love it. Overall it was nice, but I think a little too masculine for what I was wanting. I returned it today. I need to just get me a good leather buckle. I love my Apple one, but I don’t love how the stainless lugs look against my starlight watch. I keep toying with getting the stainless watch, or getting a 45mm, but right now I just can’t justify either.

I sold off some bands I never wear because I was planning to get the 45, but then I changed my mind.

Right now I’m mostly wearing my Amazon knockoff braided solo loops. I do love them though, and you can’t beat the price!

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020

Yup, I have a similar issue.

Sport loop and trail loop both look to work the same. I have the Sport loop. Yes, it's comfortable. Yes, it has good utility. But boy, it is not really pretty and looks like the kind of kids band I used decades ago.

I don't like the look of the silicon bands with the exception of Ocean loop. However, it seems bulkier than I'd like.

The Alpine loop looked good until I wore the small version, which is the appropriate size, but because of how much the strap has to loop back on itself (I have small wrists!), the smaller hook loops are now on the inside and looks ugly because a major portion of the hook loops, which look good when on the out facing front, are not inside facing.

I like the leather straps, but they are not good for running and I'm not about to spend major bucks just to have one band for running and one band for everyday. Besides, I am likely never going to change bands just for the better look. I may do so the first couple of days, but after that, I'd go "F it." lol.

The other bands that look good are too expensive for me to justify.

So...meh.

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
Never liked the silicone bands, the nike velcro or whatever it's called was my favourite. They were all too narrow too.
Now the Ultra with the alpine green loop is and it's wider.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Have you ever tried the Apple link bracelet? I've owned the same one since the Series 1 and not only is it incredibly durable, its extremely comfortable as a daily band. It is pricey, but you can find them on eBay for much less. Might be something to look into.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Have you ever tried the Apple link bracelet? I've owned the same one since the Series 1 and not only is it incredibly durable, its extremely comfortable as a daily band. It is pricey, but you can find them on eBay for much less. Might be something to look into.

I just tried a knockoff because right now I have the starlight watch, and I know I’d probably like one, but I won’t invest until I’m back with a silver or stainless watch.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I just tried a knockoff because right now I have the starlight watch, and I know I’d probably like one, but I won’t invest until I’m back with a silver or stainless watch.
I'm afraid knockoffs because I've heard some fail catastrophically and the Watch falls off. That would be a disaster. Are there some good brands folks can recommend?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I'm afraid knockoffs because I've heard some fail catastrophically and the Watch falls off. That would be a disaster. Are there some good brands folks can recommend?

I saved an amazing looking band that I might order if I ever get a stainless watch. It wouldn’t look good with the silver aluminum, and definitely not starlight.

ArchEtech

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2022
I think the apple branded leather loop look really really good. I don't think they are worth the cost of $20 fakes, but they are for sure higher quality. My issue is, both leather loops I had, came apart and the magnets fell out, because my sweat tends to be more corrosive than most people. Sucks for my guitar strings too. I have some fake leather than don't look as good, but they hold up better not being real leather.

I think the apple metal mesh bands are better than aftermarket, but again not really worth their cost. Design wise they are a great choice. I have a bunch of colors in cheap $10 mesh bands. The finish doesn't last and they aren't as "soft" but for $10.....Ive just stuck with those. I don't wear the dressy bands much.

The apple SS luxury bands (is that the space or something) look really good, aren't priced to bad relative to other high quality SS bands. Design wise those are very good.

The new ocean bands are way better than the sport loop. The nike sport loop is better than the regular one for me, I need the holes. The rubber material on the ocean is way better than I anticipated.

I think the new alpine is great. Unique looking, softer feel that it looks, secure without feeling too tight. Its an improvement over the other apple nylon/fabric bands.

I haven't tried any of the other band types.

Reactions: msackey

BabyFu18

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Georgia
The solo loops are a favorite of mine, they are pretty much my daily band, I live in a pretty hot/humid climate and they don’t bother me. I do also like the braided loops and sport loops but I find they get dirty quicker and I don’t love that. The original bands aren’t my favorite but I do have several colors and so I wear them for shorter periods of time and can deal with them easier that way than wearing them all the time. I also have some elastic adjustable style bands I got from amazon that are very comfortable, I like that those aren’t expensive and are comfortable to wear, maybe look into something like that? Overall, not all bands work for everyone but I cant say I’ve ever had an issue finding something I like.

Reactions: MoparShaha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.