Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Really? Cuz a simple google search containing the words iPhone and revolutionize brings several links from reputable sources explaining how the iPhone has revolutionized the mobile industry.

I guess you're the one that's right though.

haha, actually doing that search brings up articles asking if iPhone will revolutionize things. Didnt say it in fact did. Anybody can write an article asking if Android or Windows will revolutionize things. Not all those are reputable sources but im not going to argue....Apple did some good things with the iPhone.

As far as revolutionizing the music market, id say Napster had a lot more to do with that than Apple did. Apple just took an idea from someone else and the legal side of it after Napster got sued and had to change their site with having people pay and they made their own place to get music.
If not for Napster, where would things be today? A 19 year old college student took music to a whole new level....lol
I was using Napster in 1999, iTunes was launched in Jan 2001.

Last edited:

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
haha, actually doing that search brings up articles asking if iPhone will revolutionize things. Didnt say it in fact did. Anybody can write an article asking if Android or Windows will revolutionize things. Not all those are reputable sources but im not going to argue....Apple did some good things with the iPhone.

As far as revolutionizing the music market, id say Napster had a lot more to do with that than Apple did. Apple just took an idea from someone else and the legal side of it after Napster got sued and had to change their site with having people pay and they made their own place to get music.
If not for Napster, where would things be today? A 19 year old college student took music to a whole new level....lol
I was using Napster in 1999, iTunes was launched in Jan 2001.

Well here's my question about revolutionizing though: Is it the person/company that first conceives/constructs/implements a device, idea, etc. that revolutionizes a particular industry, or is it the person/company that makes it popular and mainstream and finds a way to mass market it? I'd personally argue it's the second. I credit Edison with revolutionizing the lighting industry. Accordingly, I would say Apple did revolutionize the music market by making iTunes sustainable and legal, and therefore used by all (almost, to be technical). Napster tried to go legit too and it failed. Apple was able to get all the music artists and producers on board and make people buy music when they could just download for free (read Limewire), even without Napster. That's a pretty big accomplishment if you ask me.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Well here's my question about revolutionizing though: Is it the person/company that first conceives/constructs/implements a device, idea, etc. that revolutionizes a particular industry, or is it the person/company that makes it popular and mainstream and finds a way to mass market it?

I'd say it's both. Both of your examples change the way the product or service is presented to the consumer.

4sFanatic

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
I WAS seriously considering this phone, until I read that the battery life was as piss poor as the other LTE phones wavering around maybe 4 hours tops of usage.

I'll lend you $12 bucks for a charger dude. PM me your Paypal addy :eek:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Well here's my question about revolutionizing though: Is it the person/company that first conceives/constructs/implements a device, idea, etc. that revolutionizes a particular industry, or is it the person/company that makes it popular and mainstream and finds a way to mass market it? I'd personally argue it's the second. I credit Edison with revolutionizing the lighting industry. Accordingly, I would say Apple did revolutionize the music market by making iTunes sustainable and legal, and therefore used by all (almost, to be technical). Napster tried to go legit too and it failed. Apple was able to get all the music artists and producers on board and make people buy music when they could just download for free (read Limewire), even without Napster. That's a pretty big accomplishment if you ask me.

Napster didnt relaunch as a legit music store til Oct 2003. iPod mania along with iTunes got big by then. Ill ask again, where would things be today music wise without Napster and the the fuss it brought with it? Napster changed the music industry.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
I'd say it's both. Both of your examples change the way the product or service is presented to the consumer.

no, the one who brings it mainstream is the one who revolutionizes

there were touch phones before iphone...

there were cars before ford t...

the ultimate test for one's product is its success, if i make an phone that has one year battery life tomorrow and 10 people buy it, i didnt revolutionize the phone industry

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Why do I need to pay more to get the phone to function the way it should to begin with? Why not get an efficient Qualcomm chipset that reduces that power consumption that LTE has on phones and not have to make customers shell out more money, or put the extended battery in there to begin with. I get android is all about choices but how about the choice to have my phone last all day and be efficient when I take it out of the box.

You got it wrong. Even with extra money for extended battery you'd still pay less for the Nexus than for iPhone 4S. And if you really want to have battery life on par with iPhone 4S, then buy GSM version of Nexus.

MsBeauty

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Why not consider this one ??? Galaxy NOTE!!

Attachments

• 螢幕快照 2012-02-06 5.15.44 PM.png
    螢幕快照 2012-02-06 5.15.44 PM.png
    519.7 KB · Views: 182

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Didn't Samsung say they were going to announce something big during the SuperBowl commercials? I'm disappointed that it's merely the mention of a Galaxy Note.

:T

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus

When I saw this thing in the commercial yesterday, I thought two things. One, they found an Amazon of a woman to hold it (to make it appear normal in size) and two, at first I thought she was holding a white iPhone. Samesung really does love the look of Apple's products.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; TITAN X310e))

Mac.World said:

When I saw this thing in the commercial yesterday, I thought two things. One, they found an Amazon of a woman to hold it (to make it appear normal in size) and two, at first I thought she was holding a white iPhone. Samesung really does love the look of Apple's products.

To me, it looked like a large Samsung F700.

Similar shape, home button etc.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I will admit that Samsung is the manufacturer to go with if you want an iPhone-looking cheap piece of plastic with a giant screen and few supported software updates over the life of the phone.

Itxdjx

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
R.I.
Yep had the 4s then went to the galaxy nexus and so glad i did. And now im hopping to trade this gnex for the NOTE wooooooo

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Samsung has Revolutionized the smart phone industry.

They are the ones who have brought hd screens to smart phones. They are revolutionary because they brought it ot the masses. No one ever has done such a thing before, they are the best company on earth and now the smart phone industry will never be the same, because of Samsungs revolutionary products.:rolleyes:

Sound familliar anyone?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Because it is white it looks like an iphone? Geez, maybe you are the one that really likes the looks of iphones products because other than the color, it looks like its own product. Every smartphone asside from Blackberry has the relative same look, the same candy bar big screen, the others just wont shatter when you drop it. Oh and they are bigger.
Nowi don't wanta Samsung note but all I see is whining about these guys copied this and that from Apple. Whaa, Apple does it too. Who cares.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Because it is white it looks like an iphone? Geez, maybe you are the one that really likes the looks of iphones products because other than the color, it looks like its own product. Every smartphone asside from Blackberry has the relative same look, the same candy bar big screen, the others just wont shatter when you drop it. Oh and they are bigger.
Nowi don't wanta Samsung note but all I see is whining about these guys copied this and that from Apple. Whaa, Apple does it too. Who cares.

Yep, they look nothing alike. You would never mistake a Samesung tablet or phone for an iDevice, well, unless you are one of their lawyers I guess. Samesung are the kings of copying Apple. If it wasn't for Apple they would probably still be copying Blackberry.

galaxy-note-iphone-4s.jpg

4sFanatic

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Samesung are the kings of copying Apple. If it wasn't for Apple they would probably still be copying Blackberry.

cell phones have been rectangular in shape for 20 years.
should they start making square phones just to please you? :rolleyes:

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Back on topic. I didn't jump
Ship but did move
On from razr to Vzw gnex(had international) and I wasn't to wowed except with screen size. However an update to 4.0.4 came to the Vzw version and it REALLY made a diff. (mainly took care of that annoying muitouch software
Issue, but also made it faster
In the Process). It is smooth as butter and I consider it even smoother than the GS2. Long story short. IP4S is still my go to. You guys should see the battery life I get in airplane Mode lololol. My wife used my 4S while I have been testing the GNex, well she picked her
Up a 4S today lol.

clumsythief83

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Saw the Galaxy note Superbowl commercial yesterday and there was a bit with a girl holding the Note and it looks huge. You can see that the gild wasn't comfortable holding it.

Ideal screen size would be 3'8" to 4'3" if you ask me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.