Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
There seems to be trend now it seems of young people wearing pajama pants out in public.

I was at fast food place today and there was these two girls one wearing pink pajama pants and other girl in red checkered pajama pants and flip flops.

Anyone notice new trend now it seems of young people wearing pajama pants out in public? Well obviously some cities seem to me more into this trend of this than other cities.

• Haha
Reactions: JapanApple

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
There seems to be trend now it seems of young people wearing pajama pants out in public.

I was at fast food place today and there was these two girls one wearing pink pajama pants and other girl in red checkered pajama pants and flip flops.

Anyone notice new trend now it seems of young people wearing pajama pants out in public? Well obviously some cities seem to me more into this trend of this than other cities.
I don’t know where you are but in my bit of SE London this has been happening for a few years. And it’s not just young people but it does seem to be a predominantly female thing

KaiFiMacFan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2023
Brooklyn, NY
I feel like this gets brought up every few years as a new thing. Around here, you'll often see young Asian people in their pajamas after a certain hour (like if they go out to get dessert or something). (My Taiwanese friend explained to me that this is quite common as they will have put on their casual evening wear by then and people do this in Asian countries). I don't have a problem with it personally. Especially somewhere as casual as a fast food place.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don’t know where you are but in my bit of SE London this has been happening for a few years.
Yes, agreed, this is not a recent sartorial development.
And it’s not just young people but it does seem to be a predominantly female thing
The male equivalent would possibly be tracksuit bottoms, (or maybe - if heading out for a longer period - cargo shorts), in other words, clothing that is both casual and comfortable.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
I feel like this gets brought up every few years as a new thing. Around here, you'll often see young Asian people in their pajamas after a certain hour (like if they go out to get dessert or something). (My Taiwanese friend explained to me that this is quite common as they will have put on their casual evening wear by then and people do this in Asian countries). I don't have a problem with it personally. Especially somewhere as casual as a fast food place.

I thought this may be more common in Liverpool than say London.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
This has been going on in my area for a few years. I even saw a guy walking out of a supermarket in full Lebowski-wear. Boxer shorts, bathrobe and flip flops. I couldn't believe it.
😅 It's happening everywhere. Maybe it's just a problem that I have, but what I find ugly are men wearing shorts and "flipflops" at the airport and other public places.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA

In the 90's people started wearing "house pants" which were pretty much pajama pants.... and how about Yoga pants?! I don't care much about what someone wears.... fashions change all the time, some I like some I don't but I don't mind it as it simply does not affect me in any way.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Been happening here for a few years. Here being Phoenix/Glendale, Arizona. I primarily see it in Walmart. And most of that was pre-Covid.
When I use to go to Denver you see people in pajama pants in public. I don’t know if it still the case or not.

Jeffrey Hart

macrumors member
May 9, 2023
There was a kid in my high school who used to wear pajama pants to class and he got me to wear them to college.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
If anything but new. It’s been happening since before the pandemic.
Well sense the pandemic people have been dressing way more casual.

And when I was in Denver I seen lot more people wearing pajama pants.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well sense the pandemic people have been dressing way more casual.

And when I was in Denver I seen lot more people wearing pajama pants.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just yesterday. Walked in to Walmart after picking my daughter up from school and three girls walking out had pajama bottoms on.

🤷‍♂️
I have heard stories of how - during the pandemic - some professional individuals (male) wore a shirt (dress shirt is the US term, I believe) complete with tie while attending formal online Zoom meetings.

However, as the camera did not include shots below the waist, some of these self-same individuals also (at the same time) wore, not just jeans, but, sometimes, (and, yes, quite incongruous with a shirt and tie) tracksuit bottoms.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have heard stories of how - during the pandemic - some professional individuals (male) wore a shirt (dress shirt is the US term, I believe) complete with tie while attending formal online Zoom meetings.

However, as the camera did not include shots below the waist, some of these self-same individuals also (at the same time) wore, not just jeans, but, sometimes, (and, yes, quite incongruous with a shirt and tie) tracksuit bottoms.
Oh yeah, plenty of that was going on/still does.

Did you know Peter Cushing wore slippers in Star Wars? Yep, whenever there were scenes of him sitting. Apparently the shoes hurt his feet.

Anyway, I've heard other stories of pets interfering. One weathercaster constantly had his cat showing up, to the point where the station included the cat in the forecast.

And of course, the lawyer who told the judge he was 'not a cat'! :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

This maybe a resurgence, but I want to say it’s a 10-20 years old trend.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This has been a thing for girls since late 90's
I didn't live in a city or town where this was a viable thing to do in the late 90s. Pajama bottoms in a rural town either gets you ostracized, your pajama bottoms destroyed or both.

And while the closest cities to me were large (Palm Springs, Moreno Valley, Redlands, San Bernardino) I was never in those cities long enough during the day to observe what you mention.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Really? I lived in a small town. In Northern California. It wasn't super common then, but not unheard of. I didn't see it all the time. But I get you.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.