Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
"Pajamas pants" are big business in the garment industry today. But the subject of wearing pajama pants in public, as far as I remember, was being discussed in the news media in 2014. Now, I remember a coworker of mine wearing very expensive decorated suits (jackets and pants). I thought it was weird, but it became popular in the '70s. He was a member of a very wealthy family. I am not talking about the "disco crowd" outfits, but about very mild decorations at the seams.

Last edited:

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
History is nothing more than a series of trends. I wonder how others viewed the first person to wear pants in public.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Are they really "pajama" pants or what they now market as loungewear. They look like pajamas, but are meant to be worn all day like sweat pants.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
No, (to answer the question asked in the thread title), but, today, to my stupefaction, (it is 22nd December, after all, a cold, dark, damp, dismal, dreary time of the year), I did observe a number of gentlemen (and no, they were not together, these were separate sightings at different times of the day) attired in shorts, some of whom (not all) were actually cycling, while others were merely making their way around on foot.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
No, (to answer the question asked in the thread title), but, today, to my stupefaction, (it is 22nd December, after all, a cold, dark, damp, dismal, dreary time of the year), I did observe a number of gentlemen (and no, they were not together, these were separate sightings at different times of the day) attired in shorts, some of whom (not all) were actually cycling, while others were merely making their way around on foot.
Y'know, I see the same thing. I don't understand how anyone could survive in the cold with such clothing. I don't see the whole pajamas thing though, but I'm also ignorant.

I'm comfortable in most clothing (provided it's suited for the season), so I'd have no reason to do all this ridiculous stuff.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Y'know, I see the same thing.
Strange, isn't it?

Actually, to my mind (December? Around Solstice Day? Wandering around in shorts?), it is utterly inexplicable.

I break out in goosebumps the size of gold balls at the mere sight of them.
I don't understand how anyone could survive in the cold with such clothing.

My very point.

Utterly and totally inexplicable.
I don't see the whole pajamas thing though, but I'm also ignorant.
I assumed that this was some form of leisurewear.

However, it is also winter, and most (sane) people won't wander around attired thus in late December in northern latitudes.
I'm comfortable in most clothing (provided it's suited for the season), so I'd have no reason to do all this ridiculous stuff.
Amen to this.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Y'know, I see the same thing. I don't understand how anyone could survive in the cold with such clothing. I don't see the whole pajamas thing though, but I'm also ignorant.

I thought pajama pants would be the most common in suburb and least common in more urban areas?

where example city philadelphia less common than the suburbs of philadelphia.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Young ladies in this thread, what do you think about these 7 women pajamas?

For wearing outdoors in "cold country" there are insulated pajama pants, too :)

In general, pajama pants should be more common in areas there are larger concentrations of people. I am assuming that there are a lot more people wearing skin tight expanded pants than people wearing pajama pants (?). I see lots of young, (children included) as well as old people wearing these things everywhere :)

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Young ladies in this thread, what do you think about these 7 women pajamas?

For wearing outdoors in "cold country" there are insulated pajama pants, too :)

In general, pajama pants should be more common in areas there are larger concentrations of people. I am assuming that there are a lot more people wearing skin tight expanded pants than people wearing pajama pants (?). I see lots of young, (children included) as well as old people wearing these things everywhere :)
No, thanks.

Not for me, nor to my taste.

Granted, I'm not a "young lady", but am, rather, best described as "une femme d'un certain âge", but, even when young, youthful willowy fashions never appealed to me.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
YES!!!! I noticed that at the grocery store yesterday!! I saw numerous people. I even saw a couple that had matching pajamas.

Last edited:

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
It’s a lack of self respect

Thing to keep in mind, if they don’t respect themselves do you think there is a snowballs chance they’ll respect anyone else?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sado-machismo?
Yes, possibly sado-maschismo (I must say that I quite like that distinction), and, also, pure, simple, undiluted sadism.

I'm a creature of extreme comfort, and I bundle-up-well in Winter.
Likewise, and for the exact same reason.

I also un-bundle-well in Summer :)
And also, likewise.
Still, to each their own....
Agreed.

Nevertheless, I would have preferred not to have to break out in goosebumps the size of golf balls of frozen horror at such an incongruous sight.

Reactions: splifingate

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
It’s a lack of self respect
Not necessarily. What factors people base self-respect on vary. For some people formality is important, and for some, not so much.

People also vary in their standards. To some, mini-skirts and leggings might seem to be pushing it, yet we've grown so accustomed to them they basically get a pass.

do you think there is a snowballs chance they’ll respect anyone else?
Which raises the question of whether this 'respect' is owed anyone else, and on what basis. We're not talking public nudity or obscenity.

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
Not necessarily. What factors people base self-respect on vary. For some people formality is important, and for some, not so much.

People also vary in their standards. To some, mini-skirts and leggings might seem to be pushing it, yet we've grown so accustomed to them they basically get a pass.

Which raises the question of whether this 'respect' is owed anyone else, and on what basis. We're not talking public nudity or obscenity.

Miniskirts and tight leggings are great if they are of quality and on a woman who is smart enough to know if she has the body and style to rock it

I don’t think I’m owed anything, but when I see someone who is cool walking around in PJs let’s just say I wouldn’t park my car next to theirs

Reactions: yankees992013
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.