Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
You can't beat strutting down the street in birki's, lulus and quality underwar (comfort-wise) ... But the type of grey jersey joggers usually worn by riff-raffs are in my opinion ghastly and would only look at home on the enlisted at boot camp or inmates ... my 0.2c

People have not stopped caring enough as to allow themselves to start wearing printed pyjama bottoms around my area ... And for that, I am grateful ... But then again, I do consider tee-shirts underwear ... different strokes ... and a temperate continental climate to boot

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Guilty.

I’m mot getting dressed up to go to the local gas station or convenience store or McDonald’s.
There was a time in the 1980s where wearing sweats was the thing and I'm guilty of that. So much so that my wife used to shake her head at me.

Eventually though I started carrying enough stuff with me (wallet, keys, phone, change) that things started to weigh down. I'm not in to showing the world what color underwear I'm wearing because my sweats dropped from the weight of the stuff I was carrying.

Not such a big deal now because Apple Pay, etc. But considering that my pajamas tend to have more holes in them than a strainer and a lot less elastic than my sweats, my modesty prevents any outside excursions while so attired.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I'm not in to showing the world what color underwear I'm wearing because my sweats dropped from the weight of the stuff I was carrying.

I probably would never go out in holey clothes unless it was made that way. But my entire wardrobe consists of skin tight cocktail dresses or crop tops and form fitting jeans so I’m a bit saucy year round lol.

The pajamas and sweat pants are my “I’m a normal girl” look 😂🤣 one of the few times you’ll ever see me with a ponytail.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
In high school, wearing pajama pants/sweat pants was very normal. Heck, the guys even did it. In college though, the only time I see people dressed in pajama pants is in the residence halls. But here's the thing—the only time I wear pajamas in public is when I briefly leave my dorm to use the restroom, get some water, etc. Even if I go down to the lobby, I'm getting dressed. I just see absolutely no reason to do that... I usually wear jeans with a T-shirt or a long sleeve shirt, and a down jacket. And that's comfortable to me.

EDIT: That's the other thing—I almost never wear shorts, even in the summer. I look terrible in them.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well I do own some trousers which apparently resemble pyjamas but they aren't. At my previous work place one of my patients used to make a joke and say I had come to work in my pyjamas when I wore them.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Wearing pajama pants has become much more prevalent in the last few years, but has been a thing for probably 20 years. I've seen a few people wearing a onesie now and then.

Still, it beats seeing someone trying to walk with their jeans just above their knees, especially when they bend over to pick up the stuff they dropped again and again. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: AlaskaMoose

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
The same for a guy wearing a 3-piece suit getting out of an Altima, or BMW, and so on. One's perceptions of others aren't necessarily true. There are bad and good guys poorly and well dressed. A guy wearing pajama pants could be a "Mother Teresa," just as much as a guy wearing a suit. The clothes a scientists wears is not what makes him or her a scientists. If there is a place where nobody is wearing clothes, not even pajama pants (a nudist camp perhaps?), one still would discriminate about other things based on one's emotions (likes and dislikes).

Again, it’s a sweet thought, and yeah wearing jeans a T shirt might be better off than a custom suit, however someone who’s covered in trash and poo it’s a fair call they are not successful, just like there is a good chance the guy in a tailored suit isn’t homeless, and there is a sliding scale, wearing bedtime PJs out on the town isn’t a very good sign, next add a junky car, or poorly spoken

Watch National Geographic, animals profile, it’s baked into our DNA for a reason

yankees992013

Suspended
Dec 5, 2023
That makes no sense. The way a person dresses has nothing to do with how is or she is. What we "see" in others are a reflection of ourselves or one's perceptions of others. We learn to like and dislike certain experiences from childhood to adulthood; these are our perceptions. But one can easily be deceived by one's perceptions of others (the way one sees another person). The bottomline is that one often tends to see oneself as being right, and the other person as being wrong. Unless you are "pro" in the business, you will never know who's going to hurt you or help you based on the person's appearance.
Your car would thank you later. If your around trash people, expect disrespect to your property.
It easy noticeable the way people dress, is how they behave.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Your car would thank you later. If your around trash people, expect disrespect to your property.
It easy noticeable the way people dress, is how they behave.
Nah! it would be extremely difficult to recognize a trashy person just because of the clothes he or she wears. Disrespect for someone you see somewhere, one that you don't even know? That is not disrespect toward you by the other person, but your perceptions of he or she.

Again, it’s a sweet thought, and yeah wearing jeans a T shirt might be better off than a custom suit, however someone who’s covered in trash and poo it’s a fair call they are not successful, just like there is a good chance the guy in a tailored suit isn’t homeless, and there is a sliding scale, wearing bedtime PJs out on the town isn’t a very good sign, next add a junky car, or poorly spoken

Watch National Geographic, animals profile, it’s baked into our DNA for a reason
There must be a reason for that person to be covered in "poo" or whatever. Emergency responders often see people wearing nice and not so nice clothes, people who are nude, and even covered with vomit, blood, and excrement. One can be the cleanest and most successful person in the world, and still poop or pee one's pants. Poop happens!

But the clothes her or she wears tell nothing about the person being trashy or not. These things are nothing but your perceptions of others around you. Another example: how would you recognize a trashy person who's not wearing clothes at a nudist camp? In places like these some were clothes while others wear little or some.

I wonder if you live in a place where citizens out and about have to abide by a street dress-code that is enforced by the "pajama pants" police?

Last edited:
Reactions: Flowstates

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
Nah! it would be extremely difficult to recognize a trashy person just because the clothes he or she wears. Disrespect for someone you see somewhere, one that you don't even know? That is not disrespect toward you by the other person, but your perceptions of he or she.

There must be a reason for that person to be covered in "poo" or whatever. Emergency responders often see people wearing nice and not so nice clothes, people who are nude, and even covered with vomit, blood, and excrement. One can be the cleanest and most successful person in the world, and still poop or pee one's pants, etc. Poop happens!

But the clothes her or she wears tell nothing about the person being trashy or not. These things are nothing but your perceptions of others around you. Another example: how would you recognize a trashy person who's not wearing clothes at a nudist camp? In places like these some were clothes while others wear some.
Dude I worked EMS and FD, you’re clutching at straws and it ain’t holding water
The reason 99.9% of time time is drugs making them crazy, or mental issues making them crazy

For wearing PJs, Id mention more about the demographics but I’d just get banned [again]

Side note want to find the truth, go find the opinion that can’t be spoken

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
The reason 99.9% of time time is drugs making them crazy, or mental issues making them crazy

For wearing PJs, Id mention more about the demographics but I’d just get banned [again]

Of course you would be banned! A job like yours requires for the person to have a high degree of tolerance and empathy. Rich, his or her race or color, poor, sick, shooting dugs or not, well dressed or not: it is your choice to render assistance. The is something that you have to live with at a personal level.

But the truth is that the clothes a person wears at the moment has nothing to do with being trashy or not. The same for the person's color, nationality, age, the vehicle he or she drives, and so on. You cannot even recognize a majority of American millionaires because of the most common vehicles they drive :)

Last edited:

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
But the truth is that the clothes a person wears at the moment has nothing to do with being trashy or not. The same for the person's color, nationality, age, the vehicle he or she drives, and so on. You cannot even recognize a majority of American millionaires because of the most common vehicles they drive :)

While I do agree with the sentiment, it is naive. We function by means of heuristics and clothing is by far one of the strongest signals in the initial assessment of a person, whether we like the fact or not.

And to bounce on the argument, which in itself is true that our perception of others is a projection of our own beliefs about the world. But so is the extension of this idea about your own projection done by means of satorial self-definition.

And it is the perception of this more esoteric marker of character more than the crude superficial judgement on the item as is that is somewhat interesting when passing judgement.

@yankees992013 there is no sartorial trick that would allow your self to veil the hatred permeating from this iteration of your digital emanation

@InvertedGoldfish I'm quite sure that we still live in a society in which any sane rational and well delineated opinion will be receivable anywhere, but finishing the post with a cryptic dog-whistle is not one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: yankees992013

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
While I do agree with the sentiment, it is naive. We function by means of heuristics and clothing is by far one of the strongest signals in the initial assessment of a person, whether we like the fact or not.

And to bounce on the argument, which in itself is true that our perception of others is a projection of our own beliefs about the world. But so is the extension of this idea about your own projection done by means of satorial self-definition.

And it is the perception of this more esoteric marker of character more than the crude superficial judgement on the item as is that is somewhat interesting when passing judgement.

@yankees992013 there is no sartorial trick that would allow your self to veil the hatred permeating from this iteration of your digital emanation

@InvertedGoldfish I'm quite sure that we still live in a society in which any sane rational and well delineated opinion will be receivable anywhere, but finishing the post with a cryptic dog-whistle is not one of them.
Very fancy writing! But as you wrote before (quoted below):

What exactly are you trying to say above? Things like that happen not only to drug users. It happens to the young, old, people with mental and medical issues too, regardless of the clothes they wear. And such things aren't isolated to just a certain demographics. Responders render assistance to this who needed, regardless. Without having empathy for those you render assistance to, it makes no sense to be a responder. Would you rescue only those who aren't wearing pajama pants? ~just kidding with you :)

Last edited:

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
Very fancy writing! But as you wrote before (quoted below):

What exactly are you trying to say above? Things like that happen not only to drug users. It happens to the young, old, people with mental and medical issues too, regardless of the clothes they wear. And such things aren't isolated to just a certain demographics. Responders render assistance to this who needed, regardless. Without having empathy for those you render assistance to, it makes no sense to be a responder. Would you rescue only those who aren't wearing pajama pants? ~just kidding with you :)

You seem to be conflating two arguments put forth by two different individuals.

But I do agree about the empathy and the necessity of it when dealing with the wide range of individuals on may encounter when pursuing front-line emergency work.

Last edited:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
The power of suggestion???
I hadn't noticed this thread until just the other day, and later was out at the supermarket. Lo and behold, I saw two guys wearing pajama pants! It's winter, and I'm in the Upper Midwest. And I think one of those two was wearing open sandals (with socks).

• Wow

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
So pajama pants bad but sweater joggers are good?

IMG_6595.jpeg

• Wow

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
Of course you would be banned! A job like yours requires for the person to have a high degree of tolerance and empathy. Rich, his or her race or color, poor, sick, shooting dugs or not, well dressed or not: it is your choice to render assistance. The is something that you have to live with at a personal level.

We also would provide the same care to a pedo, but we also see BS for what it is

yankees992013

Suspended
Dec 5, 2023
You seem to be conflating two arguments put forth by two different individuals.

But I do agree about the empathy and the necessity of it when dealing with the wide range of individuals on may encounter when pursuing front-line emergency work.
Being in emergency service has nothing to do with the subject of what you wear. A job requires you to render assistance to an emergency need. Normal people are aware if you wear trashy clothes are the ones you avoid or take caution.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
For me, my clothes are my armour against the world. I don't wear pyjamas at home until it's bedtime, it 's just a completely alien concept to head outside with it. I see people like this sometimes, but it's just so...

...unbecoming.

And while I may poop myself and be covered in vomit (tho so far it's only been other people's vomit) I've definitely taken my mom's mantra to heart and be always rocking fly underwear so that I'm not going to be judged by an EMT.
EDIT: This is going to sound super weird without the context of the last few posts XD

Last edited:
Reactions: yankees992013
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.