Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Out of curiosity, I wonder how many of the people in this thread who are noticing all these young girls wearing pyjama pants, are adult men?
I don’t know why I'm confused but it seems way more popular in the north east part of the US. I had a vacation one time in Seattle and never saw anyone wear pajama pants.

I don’t think pajama pants in public is thing in the north west part of the US like the north east part of the US being more popular there.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
I wounder if people in the UK dress different than people in the US or it is the same? I also wounder if pajama pants in public is more common in the UK than the US?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I wounder if people in the UK dress different than people in the US or it is the same? I also wounder if pajama pants in public is more common in the UK than the US?
Depends on which part of which country.
I wear jeans, t-shirt and a fleece or jumper. For the few warm days we get a year I drop the jeans for shorts.
I would say that is fairly typical over here.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Depends on which part of which country.
I wear jeans, t-shirt and a fleece or jumper. For the few warm days we get a year I drop the jeans for shorts.
I would say that is fairly typical over here.

Was it not pajama pants in public more common in liverpool, Salford,Gresham, Middlesbrough and Belfast than say London?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Was it not pajama pants in public more common in liverpool, Salford,Gresham, Middlesbrough and Belfast than say London?

Not sure. I don’t live in any of those places. I would say it’s more likely to be common in less affluent areas. But I’ve no data to back that up.
Maybe the rise of WFH has seen frequency increase?

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Not sure. I don’t live in any of those places. I would say it’s more likely to be common in less affluent areas. But I’ve no data to back that up.
Not so much affluence but definitely more prevalent in urban and suburban settings near bigger cities

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Is that a good brand then? Never heard of them.
Lululemon is a very trendy brand popular with young women. From 3rd person accounts, I’ve heard they very nice, high quality but are expensive, where much of their value is associated with the prestige of the brand. And much (not all) of their stock is dedicated to a particular idealized body type.

Reactions: Gravydog316

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

No.

Not from what I have seen.

Possibly.

However, there are two separate aspects: Wearing pjs ( as opposed to some of the strange leisure gear I have seen), in public, and wearing such gear professionally.

The latter I doubt very much, anywhere, with the possible exception of WFH.

However, this discussion could well have come about as a confusion of pajama and leisure gear, or relaxed gym, gear, which one can don when lounging around.
Very possibly.

But, my contention is that this is still leiaure gear (which could be worn to bed), rather than classic pajamas.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Lululemon is a very trendy brand popular with young women. From 3rd person accounts, I’ve heard they very nice, high quality but are expensive, where much of their value is associated with the prestige of the brand. And much (not all) of their stock is dedicated to a particular idealized body type.
Mrs AFB is more likely to be found in jeans. Not designer ones either. The

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Informally, I am more likely to be found in what Our Transatlantic Cousins refer to as khakis, what we call chinos (in differing colours, dark in winter, a greater variety of shades at other times of the year); I find that they are comfortable to wear.

Occasionally, I wear jeans, (Gardeur, as they fit well, navy or black for preference).

However, I will don properly cut, dark coloured, lightweight wool trousers for formal meetings.

Reactions: rm5

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
They also had that silly workout mirror.

Reactions: kc9hzn and Chuckeee

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Informally, I am more likely to be found in what Our Transatlantic Cousins refer to as khakis, what we call chinos (in differing colours, dark in winter, a greater variety of shades at other times of the year); I find that they are comfortable to wear.

Occasionally, I wear jeans, (Gardeur, as they fit well, navy or black for preference).

However, I will don properly cut, dark coloured, lightweight wool trousers for formal meetings.
Jeans are great, I like them, too. I don't wear khakis so much anymore, but I used to a lot!

Reactions: splifingate

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I've become right-miffed in the lack of virility of the textiles used . . .

. . . Today's "jeans" are not what they used to be ;)

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
I had no idea that fabrics could be manly.
U.S. frame of reference - go back to the Baby Boomer generation and prior, and many men had blue collar jobs (often some manual labor involved) and a range of 'handyman' skills (e.g.: basic automechanics, carpentry, electrical and plumping work), and between the demands of the workplace and working around the home (where a mix of getting on your knees, lying on the ground, handling greasy car parts or getting oil on you, grass stains and general wear and tear were rough on clothing), it made sense to make jeans tough...which affected the look and feel. At least with Gen. X onward, women often go for form-fitting/flattering looks, that left the 'tough, looser fit' jeans look perhaps masculine.

That kind of workplace experience is less common here today, and the knowledge, skill and role men often took on back then is less common now - people hire somebody to come fix whatever.

I had a pair of jeans years ago where were surprisingly soft and comfortable, but I doubt as tough. It's understandable jeans, once a tough, durable, mainstream working class choice of men becoming soft, flexible and comfy 'dressy' clothing can be a bit of a jolt.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I wear my soft stretchy jeans to do dirty work. Perhaps one pair of jeans won't last me 20 years, but I have had the swim pair of stretchy Guess jeans as my yard work, working on my car, helping friends move jeans for about 5 years, and they have held up very well.

Nothing could ever get me back into a stiff starched denim pair or jeans.

There was actually a trend about 10 years ago that took it to the extreme the other way. Guys were buying $300 pairs of selvedge denim that was like wearing pants made out of cardboard. They were virtually bulletproof, but the trend was to keep them looking brand new as long as possible.

Iron-Heart-634S-best-mens-seveldge-jeans-guide.webp

My friend got caught up in the hype, and wore a pair of them in rain, then got into the tan interior of his nice car, which permanently stained his seat blue from the dye leaching out.

• Haha
Reactions: th0masp and drrich2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.