Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
I'd never do it but I also don't understand the mentality of getting offended by it. I don't care what people think about what I wear and I don't care what other people wear. As long as your junk isn't hanging out go for it.

I don’t think anyone said they were offended

Personally I don’t care

But it’s a sign I probably don’t want to park my car next to theirs, and a good chance if you sit where they were they left a mess

Not 100%, but if I am forced to park next to another car, one has a guy dressed in outside of the house clothes, another is still wearing their PJs well

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Yes, possibly sado-maschismo (I must say that I quite like that distinction), and, also, pure, simple, undiluted sadism.

The inherent irony, here, is that these folks struttin'-their-stuff in such awkward ways are--for all intensive purposes--totally oblivious to the implications of their personal affectation.

I am well-habituated to seeing youngin's walking across intersections with their faces glued {intensely} to their 'gee-gaw' phones.

Also, I'm quite accustomed to the Pantsuit:Hoodie Runway Compilation.

I was on a roundabout, yester, making last-hour purchases, and (in a rather busy shop-parking area) I swear this young girl slowly walked-out from between a row of cars--face glued to her gee-gaw (and completely plush-hoodie-enrobed (even Darth Sidious (nee. Palpatine) allowed more of his visage than She))--and passed to the next with no alteration in her pace, or gait.

If I were not being mindful . . . well; *sigh* things worked-out well to everyone's benefit, I suppose.

Simply amazing.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Oh, Dear.

Some Lavender-Chamomile would go-far to help soothe such a thing ;)
These weren't goosebumps denoting any state of pleasure or excitement, but simply an automatic vicarious response to what I thought was the frigid freezing cold that must inevitably have been experienced and possibly suffered by another human being who was attired in shorts in the middle of December.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
naw, not a recent thing, but maybe more people are doing it.

...I was just thinking it's silly, but sweat pants are even worse

at least PJs are form fitting? Sweat pants are awful.

just wear yoga pants ...

...now, I DO wear my nurse scrubs to stores BUT that's right after I have finished working all night

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska

Personally I don’t care

But it’s a sign I probably don’t want to park my car next to theirs, and a good chance if you sit where they were they left a mess

Not 100%, but if I am forced to park next to another car, one has a guy dressed in outside of the house clothes, another is still wearing their PJs well
That makes no sense. The way a person dresses has nothing to do with how is or she is. What we "see" in others are a reflection of ourselves or one's perceptions of others. We learn to like and dislike certain experiences from childhood to adulthood; these are our perceptions. But one can easily be deceived by one's perceptions of others (the way one sees another person). The bottomline is that one often tends to see oneself as being right, and the other person as being wrong. Unless you are "pro" in the business, you will never know who's going to hurt you or help you based on the person's appearance.

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
These weren't goosebumps denoting any state of pleasure or excitement, but simply an automatic vicarious response to what I thought was the frigid freezing cold that must inevitably have been experienced and possibly suffered by another human being who was attired in shorts in the middle of December.
The least they could do in the cold would be wearing insulated pajama pants 😀

Believe it or not there are some expensive insulated pajama pants for men and women.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
No, thanks.

Not for me, nor to my taste.

Granted, I'm not a "young lady", but am, rather, best described as "une femme d'un certain âge", but, even when young, youthful willowy fashions never appealed to me.
You will notice that young and pretty models are chosen to wear the pajamas. Not every woman would like wearing such. But the models look quite handsome in their garbs, and would attract a crowd of young women to wear the pajamas shown.
Not necessarily. What factors people base self-respect on vary. For some people formality is important, and for some, not so much.

People also vary in their standards. To some, mini-skirts and leggings might seem to be pushing it, yet we've grown so accustomed to them they basically get a pass.

Which raises the question of whether this 'respect' is owed anyone else, and on what basis. We're not talking public nudity or obscenity.
You are correct. Even here in the interior of Alaska, in the middle of the winter, there are some who at times may wear shorts. It has nothing to do with masochism ad things like that. For example, I prefer to sleep with the thermostat set at 67 degrees, while my wife prefers a temperature of 73 degrees. She suffers from poor blood circulation in the extremities (hands and feet), so she has to wear warm winter "pack boots" when in the outdoors. But sometimes, to get her to laugh, I walk barefooted on the snow and ice at the house's deck. I am not doing it because I enjoy pain, but because I am not outdoors long enough for my feet to become frostbitten.

Some people handle the cold temperatures quite well compared to others, specially after living in places where winters are very cold. We sometimes laugh at the tourists visiting Alaska, even early in the summer. Some of these are wearing extreme weather parkas, stoking caps, and boots when the temperature may be 45" degrees F.

There are numerous athletes skiers, bicyclists, and runners in the outdoors when the temperature may be -20 degrees. They aren't wearing parkas, mittens, and bunny boots. The garbs the wear are lightly insulated and designed to cover any exposed flesh or skin. The stoking caps and gloves are made of very thin insulated synthetic materials that allow for moisture (perspiration) to pass though the material, away from their skin. They stay warm, only by continued activity, nothing else.

Last edited:

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
That makes no sense. The way a person dresses has nothing to do with how is or she is. What we "see" in others are a reflection of ourselves or one's perceptions of others. We learn to like and dislike certain experiences from childhood to adulthood; these are our perceptions. But one can easily be deceived by one's perceptions of others (the way one sees another person). The bottomline is that one often tends to see oneself as being right, and the other person as being wrong. Unless you are "pro" in the business, you will never know who's going to hurt you or help you based on the person's appearance.
Nah

It’s a sweet thought though

Sure the person who is wearing pajamas getting out of a Altima might be about to cure cancer, but odds are not so much

Reactions: yankees992013

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Nah

It’s a sweet thought though

Sure the person who is wearing pajamas getting out of a Altima might be about to cure cancer, but odds are not so much
The same for a guy wearing a 3-piece suit getting out of an Altima, or BMW, and so on. One's perceptions of others aren't necessarily true. There are bad and good guys poorly and well dressed. A guy wearing pajama pants could be a "Mother Teresa," just as much as a guy wearing a suit. The clothes a scientists wears is not what makes him or her a scientists. If there is a place where nobody is wearing clothes, not even pajama pants (a nudist camp perhaps?), one still would discriminate about other things based on one's emotions (likes and dislikes).

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

Well if someone describes people dressing this way as "disrespecting others" they certainly seem bothered by it.

100% this. My first engineering job required me to wear a tie and a ****ing hated it. Now I wear jeans and still do a great job. I'm sure there are some people that are bent out of shape about this change. Oh well!

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Pleasure (not quite excitement, but yes, pleasure) was - for example - Val Kilmer in Tombstone; classy, elegant, and speaking Latin fluently.

And no shorts in sight.

Let it not I to be the one to share photos of Val in shorts (I'd rather not be the one to put the possum amongst the crows)!

And Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard.

Val is as Islay, to Patrick's Campbeltown . . . each satisfyingly savoured, in all of their many incarnations :)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
The same for a guy wearing a 3-piece suit getting out of an Altima, or BMW, and so on. One's perceptions of others aren't necessarily true. There are bad and good guys poorly and well dressed.

Love driving the wife's Range Rover to Home Depot and parking in one of the "Pro" spaces (I am a Pro member) and getting out fully clothed in Carhartt's. You some strange looks for sure. 😂

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
The workman doing repairs to one of the security gates into our main parking lot was wearing plaid pajama pants today.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
But sometimes, to get her to laugh, I walk barefooted on the snow and ice at the house's deck. I am not doing it because I enjoy pain, but because I am not outdoors long enough for my feet to become frostbitten.
Ah yes…doesn't quite work as well here in PHX when the temps are 50-60º.

However, if we invert this - I sometime walk barefoot on the concrete driveway when it's 118º out in August. I too am only outdoors for only so long. Of course, when you get the car doors open to get the thing in the car you're looking for, the blast of heat inside doesn't help a whole lot. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Herdfan

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Ah yes…doesn't quite work as well here in PHX when the temps are 50-60º.

However, if we invert this - I sometime walk barefoot on the concrete driveway when it's 118º out in August. I too am only outdoors for only so long. Of course, when you get the car doors open to get the thing in the car you're looking for, the blast of heat inside doesn't help a whole lot. :D
I still remember walking barefoot on some of the Caribbean sandy beaches on a hot day. It was nearly impossible walking barefoot on the hot sand. You could nearly fry and egg on a 118-degree concrete driveway. :)

Well if someone describes people dressing this way as "disrespecting others" they certainly seem bothered by it.

100% this. My first engineering job required me to wear a tie and a ****ing hated it. Now I wear jeans and still do a great job. I'm sure there are some people that are bent out of shape about this change. Oh well!
A great number of people would agree with you. Wearing a tie restricts movement, and it doesn't feel good at all on hot day when one is sweating.

Love driving the wife's Range Rover to Home Depot and parking in one of the "Pro" spaces (I am a Pro member) and getting out fully clothed in Carhartt's. You some strange looks for sure. 😂
:) That is quite common in Alaska during the winter months. A lot of men and women wear Carhart's. I have a couple of insulated coveralls. When extremely cold outdoors and I plan to spend a long time out there, I wear insulated synthetic wind and moisture-resistant coveralls and parkas. There is something about Alaska that is not very common in most cities; in here one can wear any type of casual clothing one feels like wearing at the moment, and nobody will care about it as long as it is not indecent or something like that.

By the way, there is very large outdoors thermometer by one of the entrances of the University Of Alaska, and when the ambient temperature drops from -20 degrees F. and colder, some people, including tourists and students, park their cars, leave the engine idling, and step out in underwear, shorts, bikinis, etc., then run to the thermometer to have their pictures taken by their friends. One of the students I worked with several years ago, posed in her bikini when the thermometer showed both -40 degrees F. and -40 degrees C. She emailed the photos to me a few days later (both my wife and I have known this person and her fiancé for several years already). Another student stepped out of the car barefoot and his toes got mildly frostbitten. I imagine that other Alaskans, foreign students, and so on, would care the least if one of them wears pajama pants by the thermometer. :)

This is not the person I referred to, just an internet search:
photos at the University of Alaska thermometer, Fairbanks

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'd be the guy in the Nissan Sentra fully dressed in Dickies. Parked away from the entrance of course - I've picked up a screw or two in a tire at the Home Depot. ;)

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006

Probably the same looks I get when stepping out of my 2020 Tundra with a 2" lift...in a suit. LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: Herdfan

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Probably the same looks I get when stepping out of my 2020 Tundra with a 2" lift...in a suit. LOL!
🤣 I am too short to lift my Tundra. I do have a nerf bar at each side to step on before sitting in the cabin. It is a nice-looking truck that my wife and I inherited from our oldest son who passed away in March this year. I replaced the tires with a new set of Toyo all-season road/off-road tires, and just had a fiberglass topper installed on the bed (not shown):
i-ZFCKvLn-X2.jpg

oddisee

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2024
My daughter and ninety percent of her school does this. Pretty sure it's just the style of the younger generation these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.