Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metzy25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2011
Has anyone pre ordered a iPad air 2 from verizon? Ive been searching through the forums and can't find anyone that has. I ended up pre ordering one through Verizon, and for some reason the ship date is 10/31, tho the release date is this coming week. Anyone know the reason for this?

dcharleyultra

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2013
Verizon is subsidizing. It looks like $100 off with a two year contract.

For the OP, Verizon tells you the available date on their website:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413754146.748952.jpg

metzy25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2011
Why would anybody do this? Its a carrier nuetral device. Unless Verizon is somehow subsidizing your tablet LOL

what exactly is funny? verizon offers edge on tablets, so i didn't have to pay the full amount out of pocket. And i plan on keeping the air 2 for a few years, so in my situation verizon edge on the tablet is perfect for me.

metzy25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2011
Verizon is subsidizing. It looks like $100 off with a two year contract.

For the OP, Verizon tells you the available date on their website:

View attachment 506413

Thats what the ship date is for my air 2, i just don't understand why its a week after the iPad launches. I ordered right when pre orders went up so i know its not limited stock, or shipping dates slipped

rotation

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Los Angeles
what exactly is funny? verizon offers edge on tablets, so i didn't have to pay the full amount out of pocket.

So you will sign a 2 year contract requiring you to pay so many $ a month for basically the lifetime of the device?

Perhaps you've done the math, but in the past these kind of deals (I've seen) end up screwing people just to save a buck.

metzy25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2011
So you will sign a 2 year contract requiring you to pay so many $ a month for basically the lifetime of the device?

Perhaps you've done the math, but in the past these kind of deals (I've seen) end up screwing people just to save a buck.

Verizon edge isn't a contract. Instead of paying $629 right out of pocket, i am paying $629 over several months. Its the same thing as buying a iPad with a credit card. You can pay it off whenever you want.

rotation

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Verizon edge isn't a contract. Instead of paying $629 right out of pocket, i am paying $629 over several months. Its the same thing as buying a iPad with a credit card. You can pay it off whenever you want.

Interesting, I've never heard of this.

Sadly I'm stuck on contract with ATT with my 5s because of family. It's pretty cheap to add another 3GB data to our collective cap but I wonder about this.

metzy25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2011
Interesting, I've never heard of this.

Sadly I'm stuck on contract with ATT with my 5s because of family. It's pretty cheap to add another 3GB data to our collective cap but I wonder about this.
Its pretty nice having this option. Especially not having an extra charges.

metzy25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2011
10/31 just seems odd since they are released this week! Hopefully they ship sooner.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
It's a practical way of purchasing the unit. Pay over time and get a new one in two years or so.

Verizon sucks in so many ways but they are giving $100 bucks off for a 2 year contract.

jplevine

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
I ordered through Verizon to save the $100 as well. Either way I pay $10/month to put on my account, so might as well save the $100.

I too am disappointed they don't ship until 10/31. I just called customer service for our small business account and confirmed again that date. I don't understand why the delay when for iPhones, they ship same day as Apple ships to customers. Curious to hear if others have heard this. VZW said I could purchase from Apple, but I wouldn't get the $100 savings (I'll wait the extra week).

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
To be clear, you still have to sign a 2-year contract to do Edge, and you don't get a device discount. The only benefit is that you don't have to pay in full for the device upfront.

With the regular 2-year (non-Edge) contract, you get $100 off the device. If you already have a share plan, this can be a good deal as it only costs $10 to add the device to your plan.

metzy25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2011
To be clear, you still have to sign a 2-year contract to do Edge, and you don't get a device discount. The only benefit is that you don't have to pay in full for the device upfront.
With the regular 2-year (non-Edge) contract, you get $100 off the device. If you already have a share plan, this can be a good deal as it only costs $10 to add the device to your plan.[/QUOTE

You have two years to pay it off, but you can pay it off at anytime. So really it isn't a contact.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
You have two years to pay it off, but you can pay it off at anytime. So really it isn't a contact.

You have to keep service with them for 2 years, regardless of when you pay off the device.

metzy25

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2011
i payed off my old iPad air which was on edge, and cancelled the entire line, way before two years. If you only have 1 device on your plan then you need to keep the line?

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
i payed off my old iPad air which was on edge, and cancelled the entire line, way before two years. If you only have 1 device on your plan then you need to keep the line?

Yep.

From the FAQ:
Does the Verizon Edge program require an agreement?

Yes, when you participate in the Verizon Edge program, you will enter a 24-month Verizon Edge Agreement. However, this agreement is different from traditional 2-year service contracts because you can upgrade after 30 days with Edge, provided you have paid for 75% of the device and return your existing device in good working condition. Customers must have and maintain a Verizon Wireless service agreement when they purchase a device under Verizon Edge.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/Equipment/vz-edge.html

jplevine

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
My order now has a Fedex tracking # (ordered through Verizon small business account). I imagine it will go out tomorrow and be delivered Tuesday as it is supposed to be overnight shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.