Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
I am running it on Mavericks without issue. Just curious if it is working fine on El Capitan.
Imo, it is the best version of iTunes for organizing lots of music and want to use it as long as I can.

Reactions: SaxnFlutman

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I'm using 10.4.1 on El Capitan.
10.7 worked for me under El Capitan, but I've got an older mini that maxes out at OSX 10.5.8/iTunes 10.4.1 and want to keep the same version of iTunes on all Macs.
The el cap mac also has a copy of the latest iTunes on it that I use for purchases and such.
To get both in the same App folder I simply renamed 10.4.1 "myTunes". When I want to switch versions, I hold down the option key while starting to switch to the correct library for the version I want to run.

OoAoO

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2011
I'd like to know more about iTunes 10.7 working under El Capitan. I also have it running under Mavericks but had to do some surgery to keep from breaking Mac App Store functionality, etc...

So, is it as simple as renaming iTunes 10 and then having two separate libraries to switch between?

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
I saw the comment that the guide for Yosemite should apply to El Capitan except that SIP needs to be disabled. Good to know. :)

I was wondering about something else you might be able to sort out for me. Your guides mention losing App Store functionality using the old method developed for Mountain Lion to revert. Would that be this guide?

http://www.emacconsulting.com/apple/itunes/downgrade-itunes-11-to-itunes-10-7/

I have a 2009 Mac mini I use as my primary iTunes/media server. I was running El Capitan up until recently. I wanted to see if it were possible to restore the Front Row app as I now have a better display connected to this Mac and will be spending more time in the area near it listening to music.

I first found a guide for enabling Front Row in Yosemite but it required that you use an even older version of iTunes (10.3.1). I abandoned that plan when I quickly discovered I could not locate 10.3.1 and I wasn't sure I wanted to go that far back anyway.

I knew step one of my plan was to install a fresh copy of Mountain Lion (10.8.5 to be exact). It came with iTunes 11.x. I reverted back to 10.7 very easily using the emacconsulting guide. I do not have Front Row but iTunes' Full Screen Cover Flow is just as good for my needs. So no problems with this setup....except...I will explain later.

You mention losing App Store functionality using this method, but the App Store was introduced in Mac OS X 10.8 and I do not appear to have any problem with accessing the App Store (even after the first reboot) since reverting to 10.7 iTunes.

I mention this because I am wondering if I can use the same "Mountain Lion" revert guide under El Capitan instead of your own. The former has fewer steps. I do want to have the App Store functionality if only from the very beginning to 1) make sure the OS is up to date and 2) to get iTunes album art which requires that you login. This was all working using the guide I mentioned.

Here comes the problem. I am also using the Mac mini as my serviio (http://www.serviio.org/) server. The system requirements says 10.8 is the minimum OS but I think there must be some incompatibility. My media folders are not being indexed properly no matter how many hours I let it sit. The serviio guide says that it could take a long time but I did not have this problem with serviio under El Capitan. I even tried using the alternate method for detecting changes but it did not help.

So there's my dilemma . I want to use an old iTunes for Cover Flow but want to use serviio also. I would like the best possible OS to accomplish but it doesn't have to be the latest. Running Mountain Lion on this Mac mini has three other advantages though: 1) My Firewire 800 drive spins down when the mini goes to sleep (this is broken after 10.8) 2) The Wake On LAN feature seems to work better when the mini is running 10.8 and 3) Boot time is shorter.

I am. Guide for El Capitan users coming soon. It is almost like the guide for Yosemite except you'll need to disable SIP, etc..

Guide for Mavericks users: https://aoxoa.co/downgrade-from-itunes-11-to-itunes-10-7-rollback-revert/
Guide for Yosemite users: https://aoxoa.co/downgrade-revert-from-itunes-12-to-itunes-10-7/

Last edited:

AoxoA

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2016
Austin, Texas
Yes, I believe the old method developed for Mountain Lion to revert is http://www.emacconsulting.com/apple/itunes/downgrade-itunes-11-to-itunes-10-7/
You might be able use the same "Mountain Lion" revert guide under El Capitan. I have not tried. Once you revert using the old method, you'll loose some functionality with MAS. I don't have any experience with your other questions.

To get all the album art work and El Capitan updates: Get all your album art before you install El Capitan. Make sure you back up your iTunes files, etc... Install El Capitan, get all the updates. Then do the iTunes revert (if you fumbled somehow, transfer the old library from the back up, etc..). That is my initial thoughts anyway---to get your album art and El Capitan updated before you break MAS functionality.

AoxoA

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2016
Austin, Texas
Personally, if I wanted iTunes 10.7 on El Capitan, I'd suffer through more steps (as I did). That way I get functionality when or if I need it.

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Thanks for the info. But I am still not clear on something. Why it is that the App Store functionality seems to be working under Mountain Lion with iTunes 10.7? I did not put it through a battery of tests but I was able to update the OS and login to check my iTunes account.

Perhaps because El Capitan interferes with this process?

Last edited:

AoxoA

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2016
Austin, Texas
Thanks for the info. But I am still not clear on something. Why it is that the App Store functionality seems to be working under Mountain Lion with iTunes 10.7? I did not put it through a battery of tests but I was able to update the OS and login to check my iTunes account.

Perhaps because El Capitan interferes with this process?

Yep, the old method works fine with Mountain lion. A full install of iTunes 10.7 in Mavericks (on up) breaks Apple’s software update system because Apple made sure iTunes 11 (on up) and MAS share the use of several important frameworks and libraries.

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Okay, so forgetting for a moment that Mountain Lion uses the App Store also, some additional blocks were present on future OS releases. Gotcha!

Yep, the old method works fine with Mountain lion. A full install of iTunes 10.7 in Mavericks (on up) breaks Apple’s software update system because Apple made sure iTunes 11 (on up) and MAS share the use of several important frameworks and libraries.

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
I finally got around to performing the "Dot-Method" for iTunes rollback for El Capitan.

It seems to be working so far. The only problem is I get that "A required iTunes component is not installed. Please reinstall iTunes (-42401)." error that I have seen reported before when iTunes is first launched.

Any way to make that go away? :)

I made a clone of this system prior to adding music back to my iTunes library. Since El Cap was a fresh install, I did not have to worry about restoring a previous library. I am a little worried still about applying the available Mac OS updates though. Security Update 2017 10.11.6 is ready.

AoxoA

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2016
Austin, Texas
I finally got around to performing the "Dot-Method" for iTunes rollback for El Capitan.

It seems to be working so far. The only problem is I get that "A required iTunes component is not installed. Please reinstall iTunes (-42401)." error that I have seen reported before when iTunes is first launched.

Any way to make that go away? :)

I made a clone of this system prior to adding music back to my iTunes library. Since El Cap was a fresh install, I did not have to worry about restoring a previous library. I am a little worried still about applying the available Mac OS updates though. Security Update 2017 10.11.6 is ready.

You shouldn't get the -42401 error if you disabled SIP and then followed the instructions for Yosemite. My guess is somewhere somehow you missed something. Maybe start all over again--it will go quicker the second time around. I must have done it 3 or 4 times while writing the guide. Each time around you start understanding things a little better.

I just installed that new security update for El Capitan and iTunes 10.7 still works great. If you do start over you can always install the latest update before you start.

Last edited:

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Disabling SIP was the very first thing I did. :)

There were a couple of steps that didn't quite match up to yours. When it came time to duplicate the framework files, changing the .framework extension to .framework2 broke the file association but performing the drag and drops produced no errors and nothing interfered with the remaining steps that I could see.

You shouldn't get the -42401 error if you disabled SIP and then followed the instructions for Yosemite. My guess is somewhere somehow you missed something. Maybe start all over again--it will go quicker the second time around. I must have done it 3 or 4 times while writing the guide. Each time around you start understanding things a little better.

I just installed that new security update for El Capitan and iTunes 10.7 still works great. If you do start over you can always install the latest update before you start.

AoxoA

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2016
Austin, Texas
Actually, I thought you were talking about "error -42408" but you got "error -42401" which is something I haven't come across.

Let me check my notes on renaming the .framwork extension for Capitan.....

AoxoA

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2016
Austin, Texas
Thing one:
When I installed El Capitan it gave me iTunes 12.3.2. Under the heading “Things You Need” number three is a download link to iTunes 12.3.1 but that was for Yosemite. I don't think it would make a difference but i might have used 12.3.2 when I use pacifist to extract CoreFP.framework for iTunes 12 (Step 5: All About CoreFP.Framework).

I never upgraded iTunes 12.3.2 and still have it hidden, as per instructions, as .iTunes (notice the dot). It is possible you might have gotten iTunes 12.6 with your install of El Capitan. Especially if you ran a bunch of updates before reverting and forgot to omit iTunes updates. If that is the case, maybe you need the CoreFP.framework from iTunes 12.6.

However, I think it shouldn’t matter and it is something else. Still, can you check which iTunes you hid with the dot method? I'd like to know.

To do that, start by setting up Terminal to use show/hide aliases: https://aoxoa.co/show-hidden-files-on-mac-quickly-with-aliases/ It will make life easier for you. After you set your system to show hidden files, highlight the .iTunes and check your version:

(oh, make sure you don’t launch .iTunes when you highlight it. I click the app above it and use the down arrow on the keyboard to highlight .iTunes instead of clicking on it directly).

2ishw1j.jpg

Thing two:
I think your issue has something to do with your problem duplicating the framework files. As you said, "changing the .framework extension to .framework2 broke the file association."

When you duplicate CoreFP.framework it will look like CoreFP copy.framework. When you rename it you need to delete “copy” AND the space in front of it, then add the 2 after framework.

Like this:
CoreFP.framework2

Not like this:
CoreFP .framework2 (notice the space?)

As you can see from the clip above, I have no problem duplicating and renaming the CoreFP.framework file.

If your CoreFP.framework file turns into a folder after renaming it, try this: Right click it and go to “Get Info” > in the “Name & Extension” field you want it to say “CoreFP.framework2.framework” Also, I do have the “Hide Extension” ticked.

5wjep2.jpg

Your fix could be as simple as making sure you have the correct CoreFP.frameworks in Privateframeworks folder.

Reactions: xoAnna

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Great stuff! I will take a look once I get home. :) I think you are correct in that the version of iTunes 12 pre-installed with El Capitan differs from the one I extracted the .framework file from.

AoxoA

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2016
Austin, Texas
Great stuff! I will take a look once I get home. :) I think you are correct in that the version of iTunes 12 pre-installed with El Capitan differs from the one I extracted the .framework file from.

I think it has more to do with the issue you had while renaming the coreFP.framework. You should not have any issues renaming the file. You will probably have to solve that part.

As a test, I switched my coreFP.framework2 with one made from an iTunes 12 that precedes the one I use for the hidden dot. Rebooted and everything still works fine.

Said another way: My .iTunes that is hidden is version 12.3.2---and i used its coreFP.framework (version 2.9.13) to make coreFP.framework2. Then I extracted the coreFP.framework (version 2.9.7) from iTunes 12.3 and used it for coreFP.framework2. Everything still worked and no errors. This leads me to believe that your error is not because you used an earlier iTunes 12 coreFP.

Still, do tell what version your .iTunes is.

Last edited:

AoxoA

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2016
Austin, Texas
And by the way, it is sometimes difficult to find previous iTunes downloads. I have 10.7, 11.4, 12.0.1, 12.1.2, 12.2.1, 12.3, 12.3.1, 12.3.2, 12.4.1 and 12.6.

Apple doesn't provide a page with all these. You can still access them from Apple's server though. Sources come and go. Currently this source has a good amount of previous versions.

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Thanks again for the info!

This is going to have to take a back seat for a little while, though. My main Windows box died yesterday. I will need to get that back up and running as soon as I can. Stay tuned....

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
The .iTunes version that came with my default El Cap install is 12.3.3. Following your instructions, I used 12.3.1 that I was linked to not giving any thought that it was older than what was part of the system. :)

So I can just extract the 12.3.3 CoreFP.framework and place it in the appropriate folder?
[doublepost=1493685344][/doublepost]Good news- I was able to duplicate the CoreFP.framework to CoreFP.framework2 without losing the file association this time. I dropped it into the PrivateFrameworks folder, restarted the machine and launched iTunes 10. Still got the error.

I'm a little hazy on step 5. Shouldn't there only one CoreFP.framework in this folder? How can a file with a .framework2 extension be recognized as a valid file? As it stands now, I have a CoreFP.framework from iTunes 10.7 and a CoreFP.framework2 from iTunes 12.3.3 in the PrivateFrameworks folder.

Last edited:

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Success! I wiped the system I had and started fresh. No problem with the file rename and no error message when iTunes 10 is first launched! Yaaaayyyy!

I noticed Security Update 2017-002 is showing up now. I think I will make a fresh backup of what I have before applying the update. :)

dak718

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
I am. Guide for El Capitan users coming soon. It is almost like the guide for Yosemite except you'll need to disable SIP, etc..

Guide for Mavericks users: https://aoxoa.co/downgrade-from-itunes-11-to-itunes-10-7-rollback-revert/
Guide for Yosemite users: https://aoxoa.co/downgrade-revert-from-itunes-12-to-itunes-10-7/

Hi AoxoA...do I need to disable SIP only while doing the rollback install, or does it need to remain off indefinitely?

Also, will this help me move .frameworks files into that Library folder? No matter what I did, El Capitan would not allow me to make the file move – even when I logged on as a root user.

Thank you!

AoxoA

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2016
Austin, Texas
Hi AoxoA...do I need to disable SIP only while doing the rollback install, or does it need to remain off indefinitely?

Also, will this help me move .frameworks files into that Library folder? No matter what I did, El Capitan would not allow me to make the file move – even when I logged on as a root user.

Thank you!

I don't know. I left my SIP turned off. I can only ASSUME you can turn it back on once you are done rolling back. But if you ever need to follow any of the steps in the troubleshoot section you will have to disable it again.

You have to disable SIP on El Capitan or else you won't be able to move .frameworks files, etc... So, yes, if you are rolling back and using the dot method disable SIP---then follow the instructions.

dak718

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
Thank you for the quick response!

BTW, your tutorial on rolling back to 10.7 is amazingly thorough, unlike anything I could find. Thank you for putting all that time and energy into helping others with this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.