Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Just so I do not waste too much time on this, will iTunes 10.7 see an "iTunes server" running on a NAS? I know a newer version of iTunes will.

Last edited:

LinaDelRey

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2017
Dear
AoxoA, this is Lina from Europe ... I did an extra signup to let you know how brilliant this is!!!
Im running an 24" iMac early 2008 on OSX 10.11.6. The new iTunes version pissed me off instantly, so I just deleted it and replaced everything the OLD way. Which you mentionned didnt work cleanly. I downed to iTunes 10.3 to get this annoying "error -42401", the one you DIDNT come across. Upping step by step to 10.7 didnt make that go away. iTunes worked fine after pressing the error away ... for a few days. Then I noticed a kernel crash while playing songs. Which led me here.

Needless to say I was way too lazy doing ALL the steps since I didnt wanna keep the El Capitan version of iTunes AT ALL.

What I did was everything WITHOUT the steps of iTunes 11 or 12 in your description.

1) turn off csrutil
2) replace iTunes 10.7 installer thingies with Pacifist
3) replace iTunes 10 CoreFP.framework
4) replaced iTunes Library file PLUS the .extras file AND the .xml file
5) restart and BINGO!!!!

iTunes 10.7 is now actualizing my 175 GB Media Library

****** PARTY ***** (and a big fat THANK YOU)

Reactions: xoAnna

Riku7

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2014
If you downgrade iTunes according to some of these guides that you find around, it's clear that the old iTunes version doesn't use .itl library files. I have plenty of playlists and ratings and it's crucial that I get to keep them.
Will downgrading to 10.7 or at least 11.4 (I'm on Yosemite) break all the playlists, ratings etc. for good or is there a way to safely keep those as well? I'm surprised by how little this gets mentioned in the guides that I come across.

AoxoA

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2016
Austin, Texas
If you downgrade iTunes according to some of these guides that you find around, it's clear that the old iTunes version doesn't use .itl library files. I have plenty of playlists and ratings and it's crucial that I get to keep them.
Will downgrading to 10.7 or at least 11.4 (I'm on Yosemite) break all the playlists, ratings etc. for good or is there a way to safely keep those as well? I'm surprised by how little this gets mentioned in the guides that I come across.

I have been reverting to iTunes 10.7 since forever. I have no experience with your situation. My guide assumes you will need to restore to your old iTunes 10.7 library. In doing so, you will need to redo any imports you made with iTunes 12, etc… If you launch or were previously using iTunes 12 your library indexes and playlists are converted to the version 12 format. The version 12 formats are unusable by iTunes 10. (music files are are still .aiff, mp3 or whatever...that doesn't change, etc...).
[doublepost=1506916704][/doublepost]
Dear
AoxoA, this is Lina from Europe ... I did an extra signup to let you know how brilliant this is!!!
Im running an 24" iMac early 2008 on OSX 10.11.6. The new iTunes version pissed me off instantly, so I just deleted it and replaced everything the OLD way. Which you mentionned didnt work cleanly. I downed to iTunes 10.3 to get this annoying "error -42401", the one you DIDNT come across. Upping step by step to 10.7 didnt make that go away. iTunes worked fine after pressing the error away ... for a few days. Then I noticed a kernel crash while playing songs. Which led me here.

Needless to say I was way too lazy doing ALL the steps since I didnt wanna keep the El Capitan version of iTunes AT ALL.

What I did was everything WITHOUT the steps of iTunes 11 or 12 in your description.

1) turn off csrutil
2) replace iTunes 10.7 installer thingies with Pacifist
3) replace iTunes 10 CoreFP.framework
4) replaced iTunes Library file PLUS the .extras file AND the .xml file
5) restart and BINGO!!!!

iTunes 10.7 is now actualizing my 175 GB Media Library

****** PARTY ***** (and a big fat THANK YOU)

Thank you. Another person contacted me about that error. So, basically, you got the error because you did not follow the instructions?

verbcrunch2

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2019
AoxoA - THANK YOU !! It's a lot of work to dodge Apple's "upgrades" - your expertise has been indispensable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.