Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Sierra has stopped from receiving security updates a year ago. Just to recall you.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Wrong. We have just received the last securitun update few days ago.
There was no recently issued security update for High Sierra. There were updates for Mojave and Catalina released concurrently with the 11.1 update, but there's no matching update for High Sierra.
This is the same pattern Apple has followed for years. The current and previous two major versions of macOS get security updates.

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
There was no recently issued security update for High Sierra. There were updates for Mojave and Catalina released concurrently with the 11.1 update, but there's no matching update for High Sierra.
This is the same pattern Apple has followed for years. The current and previous two major versions of macOS get security updates.
Ok...

Reactions: jackoverfull

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Ok...
That predates the Mojave/Catalina/Big Sur updates by more than a month. It corresponds with Mojave Security update 2020-006 and the 10.15.7 Supplemental Update, but the current update for Mojave is 2020-007 and for Catalina it's 2020-001.

Argyboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I'm using a mid 2012 MBP running Sierra 10.12.6 and Safari 12.1.2 ....... everything runs fine for what I need it to do, however I'm concerned that security may be compromised when I'm doing online banking due to the old Safari browser.

What newer browser could I use to bring me up to date online security for when I do my online banking?

Thanks

Firefox. I believe you'll still get the latest version on Sierra - Mozilla tends to send people on older OS versions to their "Extended Support Release" eventually, which gets security fixes but not new features. So you should be well covered using Firefox for a good couple of years on Sierra!

Reactions: jackoverfull

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I'm using a mid 2012 MBP running Sierra 10.12.6 and Safari 12.1.2 ....... everything runs fine for what I need it to do, however I'm concerned that security may be compromised when I'm doing online banking due to the old Safari browser.

What newer browser could I use to bring me up to date online security for when I do my online banking?

Thanks
I recommend you upgrade to High Sierra. I did and didn't notice much difference. Better get along with times.
I upgraded to Mojave and things are a little bit different.

I don't know if upgrading to High Sierra switch my system to the new APFS system but I am running an SSD macbook, so if that is something you worry about I wouldn't upgrade...or just upgrade to an SSD drive which is so much worth it.

I think Firefox and Brave still support Sierra.

I use Firefox for almost everything since Apple moved all extensions to App Store apps.
So i don't see any potential risk if still on Sierra with the updated browser.
And, as i said, Firefox is my recommendation.

I am guessing you used Safari. I stressed Safari but battery is long life, no heat, no fans, very stable. How is it switching to Firefox? You notice any lag or downsides?

jackoverfull

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Firefox. I believe you'll still get the latest version on Sierra - Mozilla tends to send people on older OS versions to their "Extended Support Release" eventually, which gets security fixes but not new features. So you should be well covered using Firefox for a good couple of years on Sierra!
Probably even more, actually...I think the ESR version will support Sierra way into 2024, from previous experience.
I recommend you upgrade to High Sierra. I did and didn't notice much difference.
Agreed, on the other hand it’s not a big improvement either and it’s only going to postpone the problem for a year, at the possible cost of losing compatibility with older software.

Reactions: Argyboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.