Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Here you go. Getting itchy palms again. After watching the pixel 3 launch, I almost ordered the pixel 3 (not XL). Despite it being quite ugly, the camera and the price makes me want to order. Also google dock is free if I preorder.

Currently on iPhone X - have no complaints so far. But being a phone addict doesn’t help. If I end up buying the pixel, I’ve to return my Apple Watch 4 and sell all the extra bands I bought privately. And get a Fitbit or something. Headaches for sure

Anyone else thinking along the same lines??

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Nope. XS Max will be my daily driver this year with my Pixel 2 as secondary device. No compelling reason for me personally.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

bryanbuff

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
Tampa, FL
Just in case you're NOT trolling...

Let's review:
You have no complaints about the iPhone X (and there's not much to complain about, it's a great phone). You have the new Apple Watch 4 (the best watch on the market), and so you seem to be a willing Apple ecosystem prisoner. However, you're thinking of selling your Apple Watch 4, and presumably your iPhone X, to buy the "ugly" Pixel 3, and exit the Apple ecosystem to move to Google?

The headache you're experiencing is from psychosis. You have serious issues and need to see a professional to address your mental illness.

Here you go. Getting itchy palms again. After watching the pixel 3 launch, I almost ordered the pixel 3 (not XL). Despite it being quite ugly, the camera and the price makes me want to order. Also google dock is free if I preorder.

Currently on iPhone X - have no complaints so far. But being a phone addict doesn’t help. If I end up buying the pixel, I’ve to return my Apple Watch 4 and sell all the extra bands I bought privately. And get a Fitbit or something. Headaches for sure

Reactions: 5105973

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
the price drop on the pixel 2 XL is actually the best deal right now Google selling the pixel 2 XL for like $600 or so brand new now.

Yeah the pixel 3 XL for close to $1,000 as outrageous and I'm a big pixel fan. but the big deal this year's more the software features which will be ported down to last year's phones.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Nope. Pixel 3 is an $800 piece of ugly overpriced phone.
SD845? I can get that on a Pocophone F1 for $300, with more RAM (6GB vs Pixel 3's 4GB) and I still have headphone jack and SD slot.
Updates? I can get the same level of updates on an Android One phone for less than $250.

Considering the amount of personal data I have given to Google, Google should give their Pixel phones for a lot less. See Amazon. Their Kindle tablets are dirt cheap because they get money from people shopping. Google wants to triple dip with the Pixel, get your info, show you ads, and get huge profit from the phone. Talk about greedy.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Yes, I just ordered the XL black 128 unlocked. Currently using the Note 8. I was thinking about holding out for the Mate 20 Pro but I will be switching to Verizon from AT&T for free service provided by my employer and the Mate is not CDMA compatible. Looking forward to it arriving around October 22nd! The phone has some cool features and can't wait to use stunning camera.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Nope. Pixel 3 is an $800 piece of ugly overpriced phone.
SD845? I can get that on a Pocophone F1 for $300, with more RAM (6GB vs Pixel 3's 4GB) and I still have headphone jack and SD slot.
Updates? I can get the same level of updates on an Android One phone for less than $250.

Considering the amount of personal data I have given to Google, Google should give their Pixel phones for a lot less. See Amazon. Their Kindle tablets are dirt cheap because they get money from people shopping. Google wants to triple dip with the Pixel, get your info, show you ads, and get huge profit from the phone. Talk about greedy.
Curious that you call the Pixel ugly, and mention the Pocophone F1 in the same post. Sure does have an 845, but also features an LCD that looks muddy at full brightness, no NFC, mono speaker, weak camera, and still no official Android 9 release. Flagship processor and RAM, but basic at everything else.

Funny that you also mention a Xiaomi product, then complain about ads built into the Pixel. Where am I supposed to see adds on my pixel? I checked my settings and can't find any in there.

Agreed on your Android One comment though, there are many compelling devices out there, many of them running 835 or lesser processors, have great cameras, courage ports, SD cards, and other compelling features.

Overall, the great thing about the Android ecosystem, is we have choice!

Reactions: Six8 and co.ag.2005

jlt1984

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
I have an XL on preorder, but I'm not that confident in my decision. I was totally fine with the XS/XSM but I am one of those on Verizon who has went through several devices and still experienced horrific LTE performance which is the only reason I'm looking elsewhere. I don't know what to do - pay $1300 for a phone that loses signal constantly but wont blatantly spy on me, or pay $900 for usable service which will disburse my info for ad targeting 24/7. The camera photo quality is very important to me which is why I'm not content sticking with the X. Hmm.

Reactions: 5105973

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I just cannot justify the price of the 3 XL especially me currently very happy with my Pixel 2 XL which has been fantastic and great.

I don't really mind notches on phones like the Essential phone or OnePlus 6t those are minimal and no problem with those. but watching all these videos yesterday of the new 3XL that notch really is ****ing atrocious I mean it comes down deep into the screen. But like the iPhone x you don't notice it after a short while, where this one on the 3XL I think it would always be there bothering me, you can't not see it. The notch is twice as big as it should be.

And then performance a 2 XL versus 3 XL in the real world I highly doubt I would notice any difference. Camera might be better, the screens a little better, and that's about it, and for $1,000 no ****ing way

Reactions: slitherjef

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Curious that you call the Pixel ugly, and mention the Pocophone F1 in the same post. Sure does have an 845, but also features an LCD that looks muddy at full brightness, no NFC, mono speaker, weak camera, and still no official Android 9 release. Flagship processor and RAM, but basic at everything else.

Funny that you also mention a Xiaomi product, then complain about ads built into the Pixel. Where am I supposed to see adds on my pixel? I checked my settings and can't find any in there.

Agreed on your Android One comment though, there are many compelling devices out there, many of them running 835 or lesser processors, have great cameras, courage ports, SD cards, and other compelling features.

Overall, the great thing about the Android ecosystem, is we have choice!
The Pocophone F1 is $300, not $800. Why should I accept an ugly phone at $800? Even Samsung is not that stupid.

And please don't pretend you don't know Google's business model. If you still like giving $800 for a Google phone, more power to you. I'll spend my money elsewhere. :shrug: Agree on the choice part.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
The Pocophone F1 is $300, not $800. Why should I accept an ugly phone at $800? Even Samsung is not that stupid.

And please don't pretend you don't know Google's business model. If you still like giving $800 for a Google phone, more power to you. I'll spend my money elsewhere. :shrug: Agree on the choice part.
So change the subject / context? okay.

The inferior hardware costs less to produce, sorry you don't understand that. And the idea that you can claim that Google is making money on devices due to ads on them, but you're not allowing me to question that is totally comical.

Sorry I lit a fire under your straw man argument.

I paid like $850 or $900 for my Pixel 2 XL last year. Now it's worth only $350 as trade-in from Google, ouch.

At least the iPhone's hold their value much better a year later.

To be fair, Apple also only pays pennies on the dollar for last years tech as well. Swappa prices are still over $400 for both models with 128gb.

That said, the iPhone 7 still sells for $350 with similar storage. A phone that is a year older than the Pixel 2.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
I personally don't think comparing Pixel to chinese phones like Pocophone etc is fair. I've had Pixel 2 for a while and it is on par with iPhone performance wise - great camera (the best in the market IMO), OK google is flawless (no comparison to Siri) and android was so fluid.
Only reason I moved to iOS was for the looks of iPhone X - it was just too nice to look at.

Just like iPhones, Pixel is not just all about having the best chip, max RAM etc. It's optimized very well to work with android. In fact, I can't stand any other android phones other than the ones from Google.

I wanted to get views from others who have used iPhone X or XS and wanting to try Pixel 3. that's all - not arguing which is better..

Reactions: Tig Bitties

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I personally don't think comparing Pixel to chinese phones like Pocophone etc is fair. I've had Pixel 2 for a while and it is on par with iPhone performance wise - great camera (the best in the market IMO), OK google is flawless (no comparison to Siri) and android was so fluid.
Only reason I moved to iOS was for the looks of iPhone X - it was just too nice to look at.

Just like iPhones, Pixel is not just all about having the best chip, max RAM etc. It's optimized very well to work with android. In fact, I can't stand any other android phones other than the ones from Google.

I wanted to get views from others who have used iPhone X or XS and wanting to try Pixel 3. that's all - not arguing which is better..
Fair points, though I am one of the few (in the world apparently) that doesn't think that google Assistant is a landslide win over Siri. Both fall on their face at times, with questions you think would be simple. Google can do more, but overall Siri isn't that bad, and is far better with their new implementation of shortcuts. Crowd sourced commands in the same vein as Alexa, yes please!

I am curious about the Pixel 3 as well. I owned an iPhone X, Gave that to my parent, now have an Xs Max. Compared to my Pixel 2, I would say it has a better camera with my extensive testing, and because video is part of the overall camera, the Xs Max video performance makes this a no contest win.

Looking forward to doing comparisons with my Pixel 2, Xs Max, and the Pixel 3 when it arrives. I run both ecosystems to stay in touch with both for work, and since one phone is personal, and the other for work, I get to do it at half cost which I love!

Pixel 3 on it's own doesn't really seem compelling enough for me to spend my own money on. I think the Pixel 2 has been great, and has stood up well in the year I have had it. Honestly, neither that and or the X were ripe for replacement in my book.

Reactions: tbayrgs

jlt1984

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
https://www.phonearena.com/news/pixel-3-xl-notch-opinion-love-hate_id109812

This is a good side by side comparison, and for once the notch doesn't look so bad, and makes the 2 XL's forehead look really weird and outdated, with such a large top bezel.

And is it just me, or is the 3 XL's screen wider, and have narrows side bezels than the 2 XL's ? The 3 XL looks to be more full screen width.

I just laid hands on it in Best Buy and it’s really not as ugly as it looks in photos. It is deep but I don’t think it’s any more to get used to than coming to terms with the iPhone notch when it came out. The phone feels really good in the hand and is so much lighter than the XS Max, feels lighter even than the XS really.

jlt1984

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
I had no idea Best Buy already had those on display
Yep, it was center stage at the entrance of mine. The iPhone xs table was oddly pushed off to the side near phone cases, not sure what that’s about. In the past the pixel stuff was only on an end cap.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
https://www.phonearena.com/news/pixel-3-xl-notch-opinion-love-hate_id109812

This is a good side by side comparison, and for once the notch doesn't look so bad, and makes the 2 XL's forehead look really weird and outdated, with such a large top bezel.

And is it just me, or is the 3 XL's screen wider, and have narrows side bezels than the 2 XL's ? The 3 XL looks to be more full screen width.
Ahhh because the Pixel 3 XL has a one of the worst notches in history, it's OK now for phones to have it? But you were all over the iPhone when it got it. Laugh.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Ahhh because the Pixel 3 XL has a one of the worst notches in history, it's OK now for phones to have it? But you were all over the iPhone when it got it. Laugh.

I don't like notches, except minimal ones like Essential PH1 and the teardrop OnePlus 6T notch. Those two phones do it best.

The Pixel 3 XL notch is huge and very noticeable.

But my point being, when shown next to the Pixel 2 XL, the notch on the 3 XL for some reason doesn't look as bad, because now the 2 XL looks very outdated with the large top bezel forehead.

The iPhone X notch I put in the middle ground of notches, it's not ridiculously unsightly and huge like the Pixel 3 XL's, but it's also not as sleak and minimal like the Essential notch.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I don't like notches, except minimal ones like Essential PH1 and the teardrop OnePlus 6T notch. Those two phones do it best.

The Pixel 3 XL notch is huge and very noticeable.

But my point being, when shown next to the Pixel 2 XL, the notch on the 3 XL for some reason doesn't look as bad, because now the 2 XL looks very outdated with the large top bezel forehead.

The iPhone X notch I put in the middle ground of notches, it's not ridiculously unsightly and huge like the Pixel 3 XL's, but it's also not as sleak and minimal like the Essential notch.

It's because the 2 XL always looked outdated from the start.

And let me tell you, the regular Pixel 2 hasn't aged well either!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.