Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 3, 2010
So is there anyone here who's never owned an iPhone now thinking of picking one up for the very first time?

I've been an android user for three years now starting with the Galaxy Nexus and now with the Xperia Z1 and other than OS restrictions & price, the biggest reason i've never been interested in the iPhone was the screen size. Now that Apple has rectified this in a massive way, i've never been more tempted to pick one up.

Was planning on waiting to see what the Xperia Z4 brings but will likely weigh up the purchase against the Nexus 6.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Actually you're right. It has pretty much the exact same technologies and features.

The only real differences are the RAM, wireless charging, much lower price and a release date approximately 2 years earlier.

No. The CPU and GPU are better. The camera destroys the Nexus 4 and so does the battery life.

Also the iPhone 6 looks better and uses iOS.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
No. The CPU and GPU are better. The camera destroys the Nexus 4 and so does the battery life.

Ok, the CPU, GPU and camera probably are a little better although, how would you know? Anyway, they are likely to still not surpass a newer Android phone. Also, how would battery life be better with what is rumoured to be a 1810mAh in the iP6?

Looks and OS are opinion-based, although I think the iP6 looks quite ugly with those rounded edges and huge bezels and iOS, for me at least, is terrible.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
funny thing is i think the new iphone design is the best yet, but when you can let me slap android on it i will buy one

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Ok, the CPU, GPU and camera probably are a little better although, how would you know? Anyway, they are likely to still not surpass a newer Android phone. Also, how would battery life be better with what is rumoured to be a 1810mAh in the iP6?

Looks and OS are opinion-based, although I think the iP6 looks quite ugly with those rounded edges and huge bezels and iOS, for me at least, is terrible.

You said they are the same. We aren't comparing them to current Android phones.

Also why do you assume it will be only a little better despite the fact that the A7 was pretty much te same as the S800? The A8 will destroy the S4 Pro. No doubt about it.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
So is there anyone here who's never owned an iPhone now thinking of picking one up for the very first time?

Yep, I am.

I've been on Android since the original Moto Droid, but I'll be giving the i6+ a test run when my upgrade comes through in November. If I like it, I'll keep it...if not, I'll return it and pick up the new Moto X.

Last edited:

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
You said they are the same. We aren't comparing them to current Android phones.

Since when does "pretty much the same" = "the same"?

The Nexus 4 may only beat the iP6 with most and not all of it's feature but there's no doubt the newer generation of Android phones can smash the iP6.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Since when does "pretty much the same" = "the same"?

The Nexus 4 may only beat the iP6 with most and not all of it's feature but there's no doubt the newer generation of Android phones can smash the iP6.

Again. The A7 beat or was the equivalent to the S800. At the time it was comparable to other phones. Why can't you wait till benchmarks of the A8 before using hyperbole?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Indeed the last three characters in your post is the important dealer breaker for many of us. Its the exact same reason I don't walk into car dealerships and suggest I get a stupid discount because my current cheaper car also drives with a steering wheel. :D

----------

Also, how would battery life be better with what is rumoured to be a 1810mAh in the iP6?
It will depend if the software is power hungry as a bigger battery doesn't always mean better battery life.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
It will depend if the software is power hungry as a bigger battery doesn't always mean better battery life.

Yes that's true, although in the past, the simplicity and lack of features in iOS has not been enough for the iPhone to remain charged for longer than its competitors.

As I said, we'll see this Friday.

Qwestionable

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
When Apple can match 2014 specs, technology, and components, and when they open up iOS, I will be a customer. But the iPhone is way too slow, the display is among the worst in its class, and iOS is not usable.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
When Apple can match 2014 specs, technology, and components, and when they open up iOS, I will be a customer. But the iPhone is way too slow, the display is among the worst in its class, and iOS is not usable.

slow? iphone is everything but slow

theres a common misconception here about cpus in our mobile devices...

iphones 5s is twice as fast as the fastest android phone. ask me how do i know that

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
After printing out a template of the 6 Plus, I'm out. It's not that it's too big to use comfortably, but I just don't want to carry around a phone that's that big every day for 2 years. So, no i6+ or Note 4 for me...

I'm going with the 2014 Moto X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.