Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I took a gamble on a Magic Keyboard because I don't trust anything loose or collapsible like a Folio with my iPad. I think there are things to get used to, but it feels sturdy enough to me.

The main thing to get used to is the center of gravity, it's going to feel higher than if you're used to a Macbook. When I lift it up, it feels like the center is in the hinge below the area where the iPad magnetically attaches, so that's where I hold it if I carry it unfolded.

You should be careful about setting it on a backwards angle. The base is weighty, but not enough to balance it out. Any angle that's flat or towards the front or sides is fine, including laps.

The whole thing is built really solid... The hinges are pretty stiff and I can draw on my iPad (putting pressure on the screen) without it swiveling or sliding very much. The bottom of the base is very grippy, I can use it in different positions like on my legs when my knees are raised. Probably worth mentioning the magnets that hold the iPad are ridiculously strong, too.

If you're worried about screen angle or ergonomics, it seems to hold the iPad high enough that the top of the screen is about as high as the top of my 15" MBP's screen. Compared to anything like the Folio, where the bottom of the screen would be resting where the "bottom hinge" would be and brings the viewing angle slightly lower.

I gave it some time and now I think I understand why it's so expensive now... but it is expensive. The only other thing I really hate about it is the recessed trackpad. Doesn't feel nice to bump my fingertip against the edges and it feels difficult to make pinch-gestures. They should have tried to level out the surface down there.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
I took a gamble on a Magic Keyboard because I don't trust anything loose or collapsible like a Folio with my iPad. I think there are things to get used to, but it feels sturdy enough to me.

The main thing to get used to is the center of gravity, it's going to feel higher than if you're used to a Macbook. When I lift it up, it feels like the center is in the hinge below the area where the iPad magnetically attaches, so that's where I hold it if I carry it unfolded.

You should be careful about setting it on a backwards angle. The base is weighty, but not enough to balance it out. Any angle that's flat or towards the front or sides is fine, including laps.

The whole thing is built really solid... The hinges are pretty stiff and I can draw on my iPad (putting pressure on the screen) without it swiveling or sliding very much. The bottom of the base is very grippy, I can use it in different positions like on my legs when my knees are raised. Probably worth mentioning the magnets that hold the iPad are ridiculously strong, too.

If you're worried about screen angle or ergonomics, it seems to hold the iPad high enough that the top of the screen is about as high as the top of my 15" MBP's screen. Compared to anything like the Folio, where the bottom of the screen would be resting where the "bottom hinge" would be and brings the viewing angle slightly lower.

I gave it some time and now I think I understand why it's so expensive now... but it is expensive. The only other thing I really hate about it is the recessed trackpad. Doesn't feel nice to bump my fingertip against the edges and it feels difficult to make pinch-gestures. They should have tried to level out the surface down there.
Good detailed review, I have the same feelings about this overall enjoyable but, like so many apple things, absurdly expensive product. I do enough writing on it that the convenience of so quickly and easily turning the ipad into a ”laptop”, on the lap with a tactile mostly full keyboard, makes it worth it.
Other complaints I have about it are the sharp-ish feeling edges of the base when on my lap, and of course the lack of Escape key never gets less annoying. But overall I haven’t found anything better, and the ability to take it off and put it on magnetically is very useful.

For anyone doing work on the go and wanting/needing to travel light, the ipad pro plus a keyboard is great. Until they make another 11 or 12” macbook WITH cellular service (I know, dream on), which would be even more ideal for me, this seems like the best setup.

Reactions: Woodcrest64

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
I have the 11" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard and would echo the similar sentiment - it's usable on my lap but not as ideal as an actual laptop due to the center of gravity and lesser range of of angles that the display can pivot to. If you were using a non-Magic Keyboard solution it might be a bit more challenging since the majority of those have a kickstand. Having used a work-issued Windows tablet that had a kickstand and folio-style keyboard/trackpad I can assure you it is an absolutely miserable experience to use on your lap.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I have the 11" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard and would echo the similar sentiment - it's usable on my lap but not as ideal as an actual laptop due to the center of gravity and lesser range of of angles that the display can pivot to. If you were using a non-Magic Keyboard solution it might be a bit more challenging since the majority of those have a kickstand. Having used a work-issued Windows tablet that had a kickstand and folio-style keyboard/trackpad I can assure you it is an absolutely miserable experience to use on your lap.
the Apple Smart keyboard folio is even worse than the kickstand solutions, Magic Keyboard is at least usable, but it will never be like a laptop.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Yeah, I have a 12.9 + MKB and a Surface Pro 7 - the problem with those kind of devices on the lap is the weight of the device itself vs. the lighter weight keyboard; they're just top-heavy. I also have the Logitech Combo keyboard case and it has the same problem for me.

targa88

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2021
Flashback from the past. IPP 9.7 with Brydge keyboard.
Works fine after all these years. Stable and solid. Easy to adjust the angle of the IPP screen.
Only downside (other than the age.. and no commentary on Brydge the company) is that the keyboard doesn’t have a trackpad

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I tried it for awhile to replace my 1st-gen Macbook Air, but it was just too tiny to sit on my legs straight. I now use the iPad as a second screen for my desktop, and slap it into the Magic keyboard when I travel.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I was disappointed at how unstable it was with the keyboard so this expensive case sits in a drawer.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
I do, but it's not stable. It's a decent keyboard but for the price, it really should be made from a more durable, premium material.

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
You cant really, the ipad is too top heavy so it will flip over. If you want to use a device on your lap, they made it years ago, its called a "Laptop", apple brands them as Macbooks :D

if you really want to use it on your lap, I recommend

its a pillow for your ipad, I use it for my 12.9, I sometime fall asleep watching a movie or documentary on my ipad, best investment I made.

Enjoy

Last edited:
Reactions: entropi

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Actually, I am getting quite skilled with the on screen keyboard. I use my iPad more than any other Apple device.

MapleBeercules

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2023
Actually, I am getting quite skilled with the on screen keyboard. I use my iPad more than any other Apple device.
Try doing that on a 12.9 inch ipad. And I have massive hands, and its still not comfortable to hold this ipad and type.

Lucky apple has Universal control, I just tear my mouse thru the screen into the ipad and type away, just need to have the device unlocked next to my macbook pro.. :D

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I use MK with a 12.9 IPP - use it on my lap all the time (est. 5 out of 7 nights a week) on my lap in front of the TV (on the sofa) with no issues.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I use an old Brydge keyboard that isn’t sold anymore for my 2017 12.9” iPad, but there’s supposed to be a newer somewhat similar version for current iPads. My version is actually very good on my lap. This is because it has good heft with no back and a particular hinge design. The iPad attaches by squeezing it into the two little brackets that are hinged to the keyboard with a good amount of friction, which gives it all the viewing angles of a normal laptop—the reason I got it. With no back, all the weight is in the keyboard base, and when the hinge is open it distributes the weight of the keyboard and iPad in a way that keeps it from tipping over, even when opened almost 180 degrees (I don’t quite understand the physics of it, but it works—see pic below). It makes for a well-balanced experience on the lap, pretty much like a normal laptop. It’s Bluetooth, has backlit keys and function row, and the battery lasts ridiculously long—months.
The good heft is also its bad. It’s pretty heavy so it mostly stays at home, but that’s mostly where I want it anyway. It’s a little annoying to attach/detach the iPad compared to the easy magnetic attachment of the Magic Keyboard. But by far the worst thing about the keyboard is it goes to sleep maybe every 5 - 10 minutes and takes about 3 seconds to wake up after a key press. So for long sporadic typing sessions, wayyy too much time is spent waiting for it to wake. I guess the super short idle time is meant to save battery, but that’s nonsensical because the battery lasts for like 6 months. I’d gladly charge every 6 weeks and have it sleep after 20 or 30 min but there’s no way to change it.

image.jpg

The new version is different though. It does have a back that the iPad magnetically attaches to, which is convenient, but that makes it not open as far due to weight imbalance. A reviewer said it opens 135 degrees, which seems pretty decent.
It has a large trackpad (old version has none) and apparently there’s no longer any lag to wake it up.
It looks like the new version isn’t being sold yet or as of now. I believe the company went through some turmoil and shut down and was sold to a new owner, so I guess they’re not totally up and running with all their products yet. I don’t know much about it but I heard orders weren’t fulfilled at the time they shut down, so I’d do some research before purchasing if you choose to do so when it becomes available.
New version:

Good reviews:
- (skip to 14:20)
-

Reactions: arc of the universe

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Try doing that on a 12.9 inch ipad. And I have massive hands, and its still not comfortable to hold this ipad and type.

Lucky apple has Universal control, I just tear my mouse thru the screen into the ipad and type away, just need to have the device unlocked next to my macbook pro.. :D

‘I am using a 12.9 Pro and there is no way I would try to type on it while holding it. It sits in my lap with a small roll of paper towel tilting it up and in landscape mode.

arfung

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2015
I have a 12.9 w/ Magic Keyboard and use it on my lap all the time. The 11 would be too small - narrow base.

Reactions: thmsnt

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I know one big gripe about the magic keyboard case is the cost. It is on sale now at a few retailers here in the US, for $199. For that price it is tempting (though still expensive)- but for me as well, using it on my lap would be the primary use case.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
‘I am using a 12.9 Pro and there is no way I would try to type on it while holding it. It sits in my lap with a small roll of paper towel tilting it up and in landscape mode.
A small roll of paper towel? I hadn't heard that before- it's quite ingenious! I have struggled to find something I could use on my lap, pillows of all sizes as an example and none quite worked. I need to check our pantry for paper towel rolls now! :)

Reactions: Jackbequickly
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.