Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamclarkthomas

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2014
I keep wanting to try that. Something in my soul misses the comfort of the plain old laptop on a lap.
BUT, I have a little slab of plastic from IKEA that I use to prop it up at an angle.
I also like being able to go to portrait from time to time - which I could never have done with a laptop.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I keep wanting to try that. Something in my soul misses the comfort of the plain old laptop on a lap.
BUT, I have a little slab of plastic from IKEA that I use to prop it up at an angle.
I also like being able to go to portrait from time to time - which I could never have done with a laptop.
Is this slab of plastic a purpose-built item for this, or is it something random that you are using in a creative way?

Just curious as I try to figure out the best option as well for holding my iPad on my lap.

adamclarkthomas

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2014
Is this slab of plastic a purpose-built item for this, or is it something random that you are using in a creative way?

Just curious as I try to figure out the best option as well for holding my iPad on my lap.
It’s built for something similar. It’s a laptop desk stand - one that holds the base at an angle off to the side if you’re a “lid open, external monitor” kind of person.

It’s like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/404001524560

I like the angle and lightness of it. Storage isn’t great, but it does the trick for me.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
A small roll of paper towel? I hadn't heard that before- it's quite ingenious! I have struggled to find something I could use on my lap, pillows of all sizes as an example and none quite worked. I need to check our pantry for paper towel rolls now! :)
Apple has been making SmartCovers which do this since the iPad 2; it's called the Smart Folio for the current iPad Pro. There are a bunch of 3rd party cases which replicate this functionality.

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 6.55.36 AM.png

Or this style case
Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 7.03.30 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 7.02.13 AM.png

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yes. I have the 11 inch pro and use it with the magic keyboard on my lap. It's perfectly fine. However, I think if I had the 12.9 it wouldn't be that comfortable due to the weight distribution.

Reactions: jm31828

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Can a 13" M4 iPad Pro with new keyboard and/or pencil in the lid really be used on one's lap or in other obvious 'on the go' locations? Or is it largely confined to desktop use only given weight distribution, overbalancing etc. Am yet to see any revies on this as yet.

eg, given that the new iPad pro is thinner & lighter, then the new Magic keyboard is also redesigned with aluminium, new keyboard, track pad etc. Its a awfully high amount of money to pay for this so-called 'computer replacement' & possibly might have attended to this ergonomics /balance consideration in the overall redesign of the two products? Or not ... I guess we'll see soon enough, but it ain't gonna be via my dollars just yet until I'm 100% confident with that one.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Can a 13" M4 iPad Pro with new keyboard and/or pencil in the lid really be used on one's lap or in other obvious 'on the go' locations? Or is it largely confined to desktop use only given weight distribution, overbalancing etc. Am yet to see any revies on this as yet.

I use the M2 12” with keyboard on my lap regularly with no problems, as well as in situations I do not want to carry my MBP. I have no issues with the weight, balance, etc.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Do that a lot with my 12.9” and a folio keyboard. When I sit crossed legged, it fits perfect. When sitting up straight, it’s more of a meh. Magic Keyboard has the advantage that you hand-palm’s can rest beside the trackpad, making it automatically more safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.