Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
AidenShaw said:
Does the corollary hold?

"Everytime around Thanksgiving, Apple unleashes a whole bunch of crappy products. It was the same thing last year."
Sounds like someone's got an axe to grind.

While Apple is far far from perfect, they do get things more right, more often than Microsoft.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
strydr said:
When has M$ released a "straightforward, competent, attractive application."?
Microsoft Office for Mac ... well ... it's not straightforward or competent. But it is attractive ... oh wait, Aqua is all Apple. Forget I said anything ...
PCMacUser said:
Microsoft Outlook
Microsoft Movie Maker
Microsoft Office 2004 Mac
Microsoft Messenger, PC and Mac
I could continue... but I think I've made my point.
Did you really think about competence? Messenger doesn't have feature parity across OSes. Outlook (Express or otherwise) is one of the top virus propagation tools around. Movie Maker doesn't hold a candle to iMovie in terms of usability.

The Black Rock

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
The quality of Aperture's RAW conversions have little to do with the app, and almost everything to do with the OS itself. Mac OS X isn't the best at it. Adobe, Phase, and other companies that have been doing these things for years are still better than Apple at dealing with RAW conversion techniques. Perhaps some things may change with the release of 10.4.4 but maybe it won't.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
After G said:
Microsoft Office for Mac ... well ... it's not straightforward or competent. But it is attractive ... oh wait, Aqua is all Apple. Forget I said anything ...
Did you really think about competence? Messenger doesn't have feature parity across OSes. Outlook (Express or otherwise) is one of the top virus propagation tools around. Movie Maker doesn't hold a candle to iMovie in terms of usability.
Feature parity doesn't really matter for something like Messenger IMHO. It's just a chat program. I live in Paris and my family lives in New Zealand, I don't need to 'wobble' their screens or whatever it is that is the latest thing in the PC version. As for Movie Maker - if my computer illiterate friend can sit down at my PC and make a 20 minute movie with soundtracks, cuts and titles, without any help from me whatsoever, then it's a success! I've never really gotten into iMovie on my iBook because it seems harder to use compared with MM2.

electronboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2005
Getting updates 30 days after release is smart?

tpatricks said:
It's good to see Apple's new strategy for software development in action. ... Release a straightforward, competent, attractive application. The release a steady stream of updates, improvements, new features. Smart.

No it is poor design and a lack of testing. Why do we all seem to think its so great to get an 11MB patch no sooner than 1 month after the application ships? This is ridiculous! How smart is it to ship incomplete products such as 10.4 and Aperture?

No one tests software any more they just start selling the stuff knowing that even more patches are in the works. Create good software, test it, resolve the issues and then release it. Perhaps if Apple weren't so 1983 about keeping everything a secret then the applications could be beta tested by someone outside Cuppertino.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
electronboy said:
No it is poor design and a lack of testing. Why do we all seem to think its so great to get an 11MB patch no sooner than 1 month after the application ships? This is ridiculous! How smart is it to ship incomplete products such as 10.4 and Aperture?

No one tests software any more they just start selling the stuff knowing that even more patches are in the works. Create good software, test it, resolve the issues and then release it. Perhaps if Apple weren't so 1983 about keeping everything a secret then the applications could be beta tested by someone outside Cuppertino.

You obviously never used the original version of Final Cut. Look what it is today. Aperture will eventually give Adobe a hammering.

The Black Rock

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
psycho bob said:
Anybody else experiencing install bugs related to the serial number with either this or the Soundtrack Pro 1.0.2 update? After installing the updates and trying to launch the app you get an dialogue box prompting for a serial numbr but nothing you enter works. Only fix is to dump the receipt files in the library and reinstall.

There is a thread on the Soundtrack Pro section of Apple's discussion boards but nothing in the Aperture section.

This is really annoying, somebody here must have experienced it. No work around as of yet.

The version that I torrented is acting that way, I'm pretty sure it's Apple's attempt to curb piracy early on. This is going to force me to open the box of the legit one.

seashellz

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2004
Consensus is that we will see 10.4.4 within the week-or at least by 12/31.

As for Aperture-boy, some of the reviews from pro photographers, and web sites are scathing.

I wish for once APPLE would release an app when it was ready, and not send it out early, making us *unpaid* beta-testers....

The whole point of Apples limited Hardware is that they should be able to get it right the first time: THEY control the horizontal...they contr-ooops...they control both the Hardware and the software, unlike MS, which has a million different brands of machines and BIOS to have to tame-with its crappy architecture... now THAT I can understand.
Id rather have Apple do it right the FIRST time, rather than to pat them on the back with a "Wow! what a quick update/fix!-they sure are on the ball!" hmmmm.... I think not.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
The Black Rock said:
The version that I torrented is acting that way, I'm pretty sure it's Apple's attempt to curb piracy early on. This is going to force me to open the box of the legit one.

This is annoying because mine is a legit copy. There is no way Software Update can tell either way it should just install and run. A few people are also having issues with the recent Soundtrack Pro update which does the exact same thing.

I have no problems with the odd bug in software but to release an update that screws the app completely for some users is just adding insult to injury.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
seashellz said:
Consensus is that we will see 10.4.4 within the week-or at least by 12/31.

As for Aperture-boy, some of the reviews from pro photographers, and web sites are scathing.

I wish for once APPLE would release an app when it was ready, and not send it out early, making us *unpaid* beta-testers....

The whole point of Apples limited Hardware is that they should be able to get it right the first time: THEY control the horizontal...they contr-ooops...they control both the Hardware and the software, unlike MS, which has a million different brands of machines and BIOS to have to tame-with its crappy architecture... now THAT I can understand.
Id rather have Apple do it right the FIRST time, rather than to pat them on the back with a "Wow! what a quick update/fix!-they sure are on the ball!" hmmmm.... I think not.

So who's Aperture-Boy, then? :D

I'd hate to think you've come in here trolling for trouble.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
psycho bob said:
This is annoying because mine is a legit copy. There is no way Software Update can tell either way it should just install and run. A few people are also having issues with the recent Soundtrack Pro update which does the exact same thing.

I have no problems with the odd bug in software but to release an update that screws the app completely for some users is just adding insult to injury.

I am having the same problem. I put my SN and it doesn't work. I think I'll reinstall Aperture and hold on the update until Apple fix that. Too bad. maybe version 1.02 will do it.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
PCMacUser said:
Feature parity doesn't really matter for something like Messenger IMHO. It's just a chat program. I live in Paris and my family lives in New Zealand, I don't need to 'wobble' their screens or whatever it is that is the latest thing in the PC version. As for Movie Maker - if my computer illiterate friend can sit down at my PC and make a 20 minute movie with soundtracks, cuts and titles, without any help from me whatsoever, then it's a success! I've never really gotten into iMovie on my iBook because it seems harder to use compared with MM2.

I think the lack of "winks" and "nudges" should be billed as a feature, not a lack of parity. but I will have no respect (or use) for MSN Messenger until they provide cross-platform videoconferencing with iSight support.

edit: sorry, this is getting rather off topic. I suppose I should boot Aperture and see what the updates broke this time.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
The Black Rock said:
The quality of Aperture's RAW conversions have little to do with the app, and almost everything to do with the OS itself. Mac OS X isn't the best at it. Adobe, Phase, and other companies that have been doing these things for years are still better than Apple at dealing with RAW conversion techniques. Perhaps some things may change with the release of 10.4.4 but maybe it won't.

Then how does Adobe do it on OSX?

All I know is I've only hear from one other photographer that likes Aperture. THe only reason he likes it is because he gets a big WOW factor from clients. Otherwise its a waste of $500. Nice eye candy, but not a pro tool

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
gugy said:
I am having the same problem. I put my SN and it doesn't work. I think I'll reinstall Aperture and hold on the update until Apple fix that. Too bad. maybe version 1.02 will do it.

Well after some fiddling I found a work around which appears to work for both Soundtrack Pro and Aperture. Before installing the update make a copy of the Unix executable file found in the (for example) Aperture/Contents/MacOS/Aperture and then run Software Update. After the update try and run the app then quit at the prompt to input serial. Substitute the old executable with the one found in the same location and restart. All should work fine. I've tested and all executes fine, worst comes to the first this will be patched in any future updates.

gralem

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2002
AidenShaw said:
I wonder what people would be saying if Microsoft had released 12 MB of fixes and patches less than a month after shipping a (delayed) product?

So predictable...and so sad. I guess that software bugs are better with Koolaid.

People would be saying, "Wow, Microsoft actually supports their product finally!"

OK, it's getting a little deep in here... First, Aperture shipped on time--well before the end of November. Second, name a major Microsoft product that shipped on time. Third, name a major Microsoft product that was usable on version 1.0 (not simply buggy).

The koolaid sucks in Redmond.

---gralem

The Black Rock

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
psycho bob said:

I understand the annoyance. Apparently this isn't just a software thief's issue. On one of the pirating forums I visit, I've been directed to the official Apple Discussion Forums to view several legit users complaining of just this issue with the 1.0.1 update.

I believe that this will be solved either next week or a bit after New Year's Day.

The Black Rock

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
CTYankee said:

All I know is I've only hear from one other photographer that likes Aperture. THe only reason he likes it is because he gets a big WOW factor from clients. Otherwise its a waste of $500. Nice eye candy, but not a pro tool

I'm pretty sure that it's because neither Adobe nor Phase rely on the OS for it's conversion algorithms. The very apps that they develop include in them highly tuned, privately tried and tested algorithms.

Apple has included it's own basic RAW conversion processes, probably developed in-house. Apple is still in it's beginning stages of digital image manipulation. With the 10.4.4 update most of us are expecting an improved RAW control to be built in to the OS.

Apple will continue improving it's RAW abilities as time goes by. I'm pretty sure the idea behind what they're doing is to lay the foundation for the future. The will soon have a competitive OS wide RAW converter. 3rd parties would love to be able to take advantage of something like that.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
CTYankee said:
They provide their own converters.

Blaming Aperture problems on OS X is a cop out. It doesn't matter how Apple decide to distribute the software, it's their own software and their responsibility to get it right.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
psycho bob said:
Well after some fiddling I found a work around which appears to work for both Soundtrack Pro and Aperture. Before installing the update make a copy of the Unix executable file found in the (for example) Aperture/Contents/MacOS/Aperture and then run Software Update. After the update try and run the app then quit at the prompt to input serial. Substitute the old executable with the one found in the same location and restart. All should work fine. I've tested and all executes fine, worst comes to the first this will be patched in any future updates.

I appreciate your reply. but sorry you are speaking japanese to me. Where is this Aperture/contents/macOS/aperture? :eek:

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
gugy said:
I appreciate your reply. but sorry you are speaking japanese to me. Where is this Aperture/contents/macOS/aperture? :eek:

right-click on Aperture.app and go to Show Package Contents.

thanks, I'll be sure to give that a try. though I'm not entirely sure that your method doesn't essentially cause Aperture to revert back to v1.0...

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
aperture

i liked it before, i hope its beter with the update, i didnt notice any problems with it myself, but i did read the ars review and they soundedl like there were some pretty substantial bugs with the software. hopefully this wipes a few of em.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
gugy said:

That's not japanese, Japanese would look like this silly:

??????????????

I hope that displays right.....

EDIT: Nope, Japanese doesn't look like ????????, no fun!

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
BlueRevolution said:
right-click on Aperture.app and go to Show Package Contents.

thanks, I'll be sure to give that a try. though I'm not entirely sure that your method doesn't essentially cause Aperture to revert back to v1.0...

Thanks, Now I see it.
Did anybody had sucess doing that?
I hope Apple fix that ASAP. what a drag to reinstall the whole App. I have 10 gig of photos and take a pretty good time to import everything from iphoto into Aperture. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.