Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
gugy said:
Thanks, Now I see it.
Did anybody had sucess doing that?
I hope Apple fix that ASAP. what a drag to reinstall the whole App. I have 10 gig of photos and take a pretty good time to import everything from iphoto into Aperture. :(

You don't need to reimport as I understand it as long as you don't delete the Aperture library it will automatically open with all your pics in place.

As for the question of whether my method works or not I welcome feedback, there seem to be speed improvements there and everything is reported as being version 1.0.1.

danm

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Clarkston, WA
gugy said:
Thanks, Now I see it.
Did anybody had sucess doing that?
I hope Apple fix that ASAP. what a drag to reinstall the whole App. I have 10 gig of photos and take a pretty good time to import everything from iphoto into Aperture. :(

Don't delete your Aperture library.pkg, it should be just fine. I have issues with replacing the unix executable 'aperture' though. It completely breaks preferences and image export prefs, and yes I trashed my com.apple.aperture.plist, any ideas beside going back to 1.0 (which is what I did)?

danm

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Clarkston, WA
psycho bob said:
You don't need to reimport as I understand it as long as you don't delete the Aperture library it will automatically open with all your pics in place.

As for the question of whether my method works or not I welcome feedback, there seem to be speed improvements there and everything is reported as being version 1.0.1.

So do you still have the prefernces pane and export prefs when you replace the executable?

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
danm said:
Don't delete your Aperture library.pkg, it should be just fine. I have issues with replacing the unix executable 'aperture' though. It completely breaks preferences and image export prefs, and yes I trashed my com.apple.aperture.plist, any ideas beside going back to 1.0 (which is what I did)?

Looks like reverting back to version 1 is the only way out I'm afraid. I don't export except in master form so didn't notice the export issue and as I kept my preferences file had no reason to try and enter preferences in the app. Sorry guys, this one remains unfixed.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
One interesting thing of note if that if you use Pacifist to open the 1.0.1 .pkg the app contained within appears to be a full working version of Aperture and will even launch as such bringing up the same box to enter serial number as it does if you run it as an updater. It would seem that for some users the update procedure either destroys the previously serialised version or simply doesn't realise it is updating and puts in place a completely new version rendering version 1.0 srial numbers invalid. I don't know where the serial number and registration for Aperture is stored however on the system.

danm

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Clarkston, WA
psycho bob said:
One interesting thing of note if that if you use Pacifist to open the 1.0.1 .pkg the app contained within appears to be a full working version of Aperture and will even launch as such bringing up the same box to enter serial number as it does if you run it as an updater. It would seem that for some users the update procedure either destroys the previously serialised version or simply doesn't realise it is updating and puts in place a completely new version rendering version 1.0 srial numbers invalid. I don't know where the serial number and registration for Aperture is stored however on the system.

That is interesting. I'm guessing that whoever wrote the 'aperture' exec file that allows iBook and 12" Powerbook users to run Aperture might come up with something that works for 1.01.

The Black Rock

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
iMeowbot said:
They provide their own converters.

Blaming Aperture problems on OS X is a cop out. It doesn't matter how Apple decide to distribute the software, it's their own software and their responsibility to get it right.

Perhaps blaming OS X (at least up to 10.4.3) is a copout, but then again maybe it isn't. A fair majority of the complaints that I've heard from photographers have been in regards to Aperture's poor RAW handling. Apple relies on the OS to communicate with the GPU to make these conversions. Aperture had from the beginning been advertised as an app designed from the ground up with RAW in mind; to actually receive the $500 software and discover that not only does it have speed troubles on lesser machines than the Quad, but it also is far inferior to either Adobe or Phase in it's RAW conversions, might've been a little too much.

Apple needs to take it's time with this app, think about the needs of the lesser mortals without a 4-core G5 Power Mac, and the limitations of most of the GPUs in their machines. This debacle with the s/n and 1.0.1 hasn't helped at all.

CompUSAMacNerd

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
Aperture 1.6 support?

Kinda off topic, but I've been meaning to pick up a copy of Aperture for awhile, but I've been worried about one thing.

Tech specs call for a single 1.8 or higher.

I have..

G5 1.6 Processor
2Gigs of Ram
250GB Sata HD
Radeon 9600 256MB Video Card

What do you think? Even with the minor tweak on the processor, any chance that the computer will still run the program? I have Photoshop CS2 on my computer and it runs just fine.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
CompUSAMacNerd said:
Kinda off topic, but I've been meaning to pick up a copy of Aperture for awhile, but I've been worried about one thing.

Tech specs call for a single 1.8 or higher.

I have..

G5 1.6 Processor
2Gigs of Ram
250GB Sata HD
Radeon 9600 256MB Video Card

What do you think? Even with the minor tweak on the processor, any chance that the computer will still run the program? I have Photoshop CS2 on my computer and it runs just fine.

I hear its more video card driven than processor. That card should be OK.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
The Black Rock said:
Perhaps blaming OS X (at least up to 10.4.3) is a copout, but then again maybe it isn't. A fair majority of the complaints that I've heard from photographers have been in regards to Aperture's poor RAW handling. Apple relies on the OS to communicate with the GPU to make these conversions. Aperture had from the beginning been advertised as an app designed from the ground up with RAW in mind; to actually receive the $500 software and discover that not only does it have speed troubles on lesser machines than the Quad, but it also is far inferior to either Adobe or Phase in it's RAW conversions, might've been a little too much.

Apple needs to take it's time with this app, think about the needs of the lesser mortals without a 4-core G5 Power Mac, and the limitations of most of the GPUs in their machines. This debacle with the s/n and 1.0.1 hasn't helped at all.

Photographers don't know/care what the difference is in the conversion engines. All they care about is how the photos look when converted. Adobe and company does it very well. Apple does not. End of story. For many it will take a lot of new features and improvements (even cost cutting) to get them to consider Aperture.

Bottom line is Apple shot themselve in the foot with this one.

jplx

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2006
psycho bob said:
Well after some fiddling I found a work around which appears to work for both Soundtrack Pro and Aperture. Before installing the update make a copy of the Unix executable file found in the (for example) Aperture/Contents/MacOS/Aperture and then run Software Update. After the update try and run the app then quit at the prompt to input serial. Substitute the old executable with the one found in the same location and restart. All should work fine. I've tested and all executes fine, worst comes to the first this will be patched in any future updates.

I tried your suggestion but I'm having the following problems with 1.0.1:
1) can't access the preferences in Aperture
2) error "The application Aperture quit unexpectedly" when quitting

Is this appenning to you?
Do you know any workaround?

Thanks,
jplx

daveye

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2006
jpix,

I am having the same issue as you with 1.01 prefs dont open and I get the same message on closing aperature. No workaround that i have found yet??? Anyone?

David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.