Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I only tend to use proper IDEs for the types of projects they're intended for, e.g. IntelliJ IDEA for large Java projects (though I haven't actually used Java for anything since 2016, other than helping others with small assignments, and one average-size assignment I had last year, for which I used VSCode!), Android Studio for Android apps, and though I've never actually used Xcode since I've not developed any iOS apps, I likely will in the future for that reason alone. I've been exposed to Xcode and Qt Creator before to compile other people's projects, but not to make anything of my own.

That's basically how I've picked IDE for a while as well. Though Android Studio is basically Intellij. In fact, you can install some plugins for Intellij and have it be indistinguishable from Android Studio. It's just a fork preconfigured for Android. But yeah, what got me into Xcode was developing for Cocoa/Cocoa Touch. Then just stuck to using it for command line programs as well. But it's a lot heavier of a program than ideal and sometimes the code recommendations are painfully slow to come up for me, especially compared to Intellij, where it's practically instant. The auto-fill is what allows me to use medium long, descriptive function names without going mad having to type it out :p.

Oh and thanks for the extensive reply, man. I haven't yet tried VS Code, but I've heard lots of good things about it. Guess I should give it a whirl. Never liked the proper, big Visual Studio. You know, the massive Windows IDE. But VS Code has been extremely well received as far as I can tell. I'll brew install it now. Thanks for the recommendation. Any must-have extensions I should be aware of? (don't want to hijack this thread too much...)

Oh and perfectly sensible reaction to emacs... Vim is way better anyway (if other unix programmers are watching, let the wars begin :p)

spaceguns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2019
Hey all!

Just checking in to say this problem is not abandoned but definitely on ice for a while. With this international move going on I am in a major time crunch and can't prioritize this. I will, however, continue to follow the code base and may DM you later in 2020 when/if I am able to pick this project back up.

Been an amazing journey from my friend being told she's out of luck from a pro recovery service to where we are today. Especially given that I was just about to return it to them when you came through with a brand new tool to analyse the issue. I am giving all the original materials back to my friend before I move but I am keeping copies so I can keep this project around in the event we can pull off something amazing here.

Juan Carlos Martinez

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2021
No puedo abrir archivos con mi USB desde el mac, no se ve con el buscador, pero, con el terminal se ve el dispositivo, pero no se monta con "diskutil mount / dev / disk2" no hace nada, y, $ "diskutil verificardisk disk2 "me indica"

No se puede verificar todo este disco: se requiere un esquema de partición de tabla de particiones GUID (GPT) (-69773) ". Me pueden ayudar, gracias

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
No puedo abrir archivos con mi USB desde el mac, no se ve con el buscador, pero, con el terminal se ve el dispositivo, pero no se monta con "diskutil mount / dev / disk2" no hace nada, y, $ "diskutil verificardisk disk2 "me indica"

No se puede verificar todo este disco: se requiere un esquema de partición de tabla de particiones GUID (GPT) (-69773) ". Me pueden ayudar, gracias
Mi español no es que bueno, pero si comprendo correcto, tienes un disk USB como su Mac no puede usar normalmente. No tienes información importante en el disk? Vas al Disk Utility (no en el Terminal), y selecciones el disco y vuelva a formatearlo con GPT a un formato compatible, como ExFAT o APFS (ExFAT también debería funcionar en Windows).

¿Quizá es possible continuar en Inglés si más ayuda es necesito? Quiero ayudarte, pero mi español es muy mal :p

Juan Carlos Martinez

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2021
Thank you, for your quick response, I tell you, that my USB contains important files of technical calculations of some jobs, that I cannot delete or format them, and I need to recover.
In my Finder, the device is not seen, and I was seeing in the terminal option that the label appears, and in seconds the legend "File closed incorrectly" appears.
In windows you can see the folders and the content of the subfolders is not visible.
The usb when I started using it on the mac I formatted it so that it would work on Mac or windows indistinctly.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Thank you, for your quick response, I tell you, that my USB contains important files of technical calculations of some jobs, that I cannot delete or format them, and I need to recover.
In my Finder, the device is not seen, and I was seeing in the terminal option that the label appears, and in seconds the legend "File closed incorrectly" appears.
In windows you can see the folders and the content of the subfolders is not visible.
The usb when I started using it on the mac I formatted it so that it would work on Mac or windows indistinctly.
Well I was completely off in my reading of the Spanish there then, haha. Sorry

Well, some corruption definitely sounds like it has occurred. You could try fsck on it but more likely you'll need recovery software. If it's an older USB disk, it's likely that the hardware isn't in perfect condition and perhaps one of the superblock is partially corrupted or directory files are.
So yeah, all I can recommend is fsck (that's a Terminal command "File System ChecK) and data recovery software.

Here's an excellent guide on doing data recovery

Guide is for Linux but the tools are available for macOS too

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I have absolutely no clue what any of you are talking about, so I’ll just say I have “borrowed” TARDIS as the name of my own backup drive. Sorry. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.