Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
If it helps, 1blocker can locally block trackers system wide for all apps.
How does one configure 1Blocker to block locally sans VPN? It seems like that feature is relegated to the “firewall”/VPN function but perhaps I’m missing something.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
1 Blocker was mentioned here. Are you using any app to block trackers? If yes, which one? They all work with VPN.
I use adguard but I cannot vouch for how good it is on mobile vs others. I know the pro on PC works really well though.

Reactions: dk001

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I looked at the report after I turned it on yesterday and the worst offender was Newsbreak, which I was getting as an email subscription and an app. I expect to be tracked some, but this one was off the charts compared to the rest, unsubscribed and deleted app. Even Solitaire tracks info!

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
How does one configure 1Blocker to block locally sans VPN? It seems like that feature is relegated to the “firewall”/VPN function but perhaps I’m missing something.
Nope that’s correct. It does show that a vpn is active on the phone, however the indie developer states multiple times it’s the only way to filter app trackers and it’s still all done on the device. I do believe it until I hear otherwise.

The app hasn’t caused battery drain and l believe it’s actually improved battery life due to the blocking. Just like the adblocking feature within safari. (Via 1blocker)

Edit: Additionally, 1blocker had 7hrs and 20 minutes of activity with not even 1% of battery usage today. (It shows a dash)

Last edited:

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
To shine some light on the apps using a VPN thing. Here are things I noticed.

1. When using a filter app that uses the so called "VPN," in settings, it will show connected. If you turn off the wifi and cellular, then restart the settings app, it should still say "Connected" near the VPN section

2. When I connected to my actual private VPN server, it would change to say "Not connected" when I turned off the radios.

With an actual VPN tunnel, one cannot remain; "Connected" when you turn off Wifi and Cellular. As long as the filter app behaves like note 1. You are fine. So far I tested Lockdown and Adguard, both behaved as such :)

Reactions: upandown

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015
It doesn't matter. They have an entire shadow profile of you that will continue to keep building just by you using the internet. Privacy is an illusion. You can only take steps to lessen the data they collect about you, but it's impossible to stop it unless you go live an in Amish village.
Maybe they have a profile on you, but that’s not really relevant to seeing these domains being contacted. They are contacted because OP uses apps or websites with ads, which use facebook’s ad network.

Saying “privacy is an illusion” is hyperbole. It’s not an all or nothing thing.

egodspeed

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2012
I have a Firewalla Gold and Purple (beta) from Firewalla.com. I primarily use the Gold. I have lots of rules in place and enabled the VPN feature so I’m always connected at home or from anywhere else. This way, I’m blocking ad sites and trackers easily in addition to blocking traffic from certain countries and much more. I just started blocking new tracker sites as they show up in App Privacy Report (APR). If a new tracker site pops up in APR, it won’t matter if I’m in Miami or Dubai, I can simply login to my Firewalla app and block it. Any device I connect to my own VPN (or wife and kids devices, too) will immediately have the same site blocked. Any app, too. I’m using this across all of my Apple and Microsoft devices, too.

It’s an upfront fee for the Firewalla device (Gold or Purple), but no ongoing cost. Firewalla has a really clean iOS app that makes managing your own home firewall kinda fun and it works super good with this new data I’m getting from APR. I hope this helps.

Full disclosure: I am NOT associated with Firewalla in any way. Just a happy customer.

Reactions: hxlover904

egodspeed

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2012
I have a Firewalla Gold and Purple (beta) from Firewalla.com. I primarily use the Gold. I have lots of rules in place and enabled the VPN feature so I’m always connected at home or from anywhere else. This way, I’m blocking ad sites and trackers easily in addition to blocking traffic from certain countries and much more. I just started blocking new tracker sites as they show up in App Privacy Report (APR). If a new tracker site pops up in APR, it won’t matter if I’m in Miami or Dubai, I can simply login to my Firewalla app and block it. Any device I connect to my own VPN (or wife and kids devices, too) will immediately have the same site blocked. Any app, too. I’m using this across all of my Apple and Microsoft devices, too.

It’s an upfront fee for the Firewalla device (Gold or Purple), but no ongoing cost. Firewalla has a really clean iOS app that makes managing your own home firewall kinda fun and it works super good with this new data I’m getting from APR. I hope this helps.

Full disclosure: I am NOT associated with Firewalla in any way. Just a happy customer.

Attached is a screenshot of what I’ve blocked in my Firewalla app so far. I’m clearly not a Google fan and I’m perfectly fine with that. I have yet to see if blocking these sites prevents certain websites or apps from working.

Attachments

• F75BC1E7-EAE6-43C1-9A9D-6FABFB6B331C.png
    F75BC1E7-EAE6-43C1-9A9D-6FABFB6B331C.png
    1 MB · Views: 159

RouterCFW

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2021
I’ll add another call out. The Apple Store app accessed my contacts six days ago, yet it has never “asked” me for access to my contacts nor is there a toggle to turn that off.
It happens when you share a app since it lists contacts in the share menu

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Wawa (located in Philly, NJ, DE, FL, east coast mainly) is I guess a popular app...can't beat free coffee using this. BUT it really does connect with...again this silly Facebook graph, Amazon, Google. So far 30 total, up from 29 last night. Even though I don't see any mention of FB on this app, no "Share to Facebook" nonsense.

Lot of these apps on this phone have this graph..facebook..com junk.

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 8.54.01 PM.jpeg

IMG_1088.jpeg
Screenshot 2021-12-15 at 9.24.52 AM.jpeg

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
Wawa (located in Philly, NJ, DE, FL, east coast mainly) is a I guess a popular app...can't beat free coffee using this. BUT it really does connect with...again this silly Facebook graph, Amazon, Google. So far 30 total, up from 29 last night. Even though I don't see any mention of FB on this app, no "Share to Facebook" nonsense.

Lot of these apps on this phone have this graph..facebook..com junk.

View attachment 1928891
View attachment 1928892 View attachment 1928893
I think any service that has a "Sign in with Facebook" option connects to that domain. I remember reading this in the past at least, Zoom was in hot water for it. Another thing too, if the app was built with the Facebook SDK(A lot are), then FB has hooks in the app automatically.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I think any service that has a "Sign in with Facebook" option connects to that domain. I remember reading this in the past at least, Zoom was in hot water for it. Another thing too, if the app was built with the Facebook SDK(A lot are), then FB has hooks in the app automatically.
Eh. I have to log out to see if there is a log in Facebook option (eye roll)
I skimmed through the very long privacy policy. google analytics is used..so ok.
I'm not using social media to connect with this, junk Gmail acct. and password. Social Media, no I dont share my hoagie or coffee purchases with them...but they have a little database of what I am buying of course.

Mentioned already here, these in-depth stats on apps connecting to anyone - whether you like it, know it or not- will be very, VERY interesting.

Screenshot 2021-12-15 at 9.35.11 AM.jpeg

Reactions: dk001 and Samdh90

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
Eh. I have to log out to see if there is a log in Facebook option (eye roll)
I skimmed through the very long privacy policy. google analytics is used..so ok.
I'm not using social media to connect with this, junk Gmail acct. and password. Social Media, no I dont share my hoagie or coffee purchases with them...but they have a little database of what I am buying of course.

Mentioned already here, these in-depth stats on apps connecting to anyone - whether you like it, know it or not- will be very, VERY interesting.

View attachment 1928898

You might actually be surprised how deep the social media hooks go and they go everywhere. I remember years ago reading about how any app that you install tracks you. I mean, we are talking about 10+ years ago too... I am guessing it is worse now than back then.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
You might actually be surprised how deep the social media hooks go and they go everywhere. I remember years ago reading about how any app that you install tracks you. I mean, we are talking about 10+ years ago too... I am guessing it is worse now than back then.

If one thing comes from all this focus on tracking is that these companies will get better at hiding from your view.

Reactions: Samdh90

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I don't fully understand this stuff, but for App Network Activity I have WeatherBug leading the way at 153. For Website Network Activity I have MacRumors in first with 9,798 and third with 3,344.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Was online and bought a pair of Nothing headphones.
Surprisingly, or maybe not, the top ones there from one transaction:
Hotjar - 7
TikTok - 7
Snapchat - 6
Bing - 10
Facebook - total of 8 but broken into two separate entries of 4.

Crazy stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.