Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tserraia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
OK folks

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) with 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 processor with 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 running MOJAVE

My problem is in the App Store application where to download a new application or make an update the download icon is spinning for a long time and nothing happens.

I've tried everything below and nothing resolved:

- I did a reset on the App Store user “it didn't work”

- I did a reset on the App Store application “it didn't work”

- I formatted the machine and put MOJAVE from scratch without any non native app “it didn't work”

- I installed MOJAVE on an External HD “it didn't work”

- I reset my VIVO router “it didn't work”

- I routed the internet on my cell phone “it didn't work”

- I downloaded another copy of MOJAVE “it didn't work”

- I did the PRAM "it didn't work"

- I put Catalina on and it works again but this version of OSX on my macbook makes the machine slow, hot (you can't keep it in your lap) and the fans are working a lot.

Detail that the App Store was working normally in MOJAVE about 15 days ago.

One detail is that my MacBook is without the battery (I believe this has nothing to do with it) but you will know.

Has anyone here been through this?

The problem is that I use apps from the App Store and I can't install them

Tkssss

Attachments

• English.jpg
    English.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 360

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Unfortunately, this has been happening for a while and many workarounds have been tried. This thread on another Mac website I follow has been going for almost a month, with download problems dating back to at least November.

The infuriating thing is that it looks like Apple really doesn't want to make a fix because people are forced to move to Catalina or Big Sur.

Tserraia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
Unfortunately, this has been happening for a while and many workarounds have been tried. This thread on another Mac website I follow has been going for almost a month, with download problems dating back to at least November.

The infuriating thing is that it looks like Apple really doesn't want to make a fix because people are forced to move to Catalina or Big Sur.
What a big disappointment if Apple is really forcing us to migrate to another operating system, even though we know how for example Catalina is stressing machines as my age is, so this way they force us to buy another machine.

Ok Ok Ok

How do I install Linux on my MAC ????? hahahahaha

Sorry for the joke and thanks for the info. This way I will unfortunately abandon the App Store and install everything via the traditional download.

rwross

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
OK folks

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) with 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 processor with 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 running MOJAVE

My problem is in the App Store application where to download a new application or make an update the download icon is spinning for a long time and nothing happens.

I've tried everything below and nothing resolved:

- I did a reset on the App Store user “it didn't work”

- I did a reset on the App Store application “it didn't work”

- I formatted the machine and put MOJAVE from scratch without any non native app “it didn't work”

- I installed MOJAVE on an External HD “it didn't work”

- I reset my VIVO router “it didn't work”

- I routed the internet on my cell phone “it didn't work”

- I downloaded another copy of MOJAVE “it didn't work”

- I did the PRAM "it didn't work"

- I put Catalina on and it works again but this version of OSX on my macbook makes the machine slow, hot (you can't keep it in your lap) and the fans are working a lot.

Detail that the App Store was working normally in MOJAVE about 15 days ago.

One detail is that my MacBook is without the battery (I believe this has nothing to do with it) but you will know.

Has anyone here been through this?

The problem is that I use apps from the App Store and I can't install them

Tkssss
Here's a temporary fix for you :)

While running App Store launch the Activity Monitor app and type "Apps" in the search field. You should see one process called appstoreagent. Click the "X" in the upper left and select force quit appstoreagent process. This should allow updates temporarily, but once you quit the App Store or restart your Mac, the problem will reassert itself and you'll have to do the same process again.

Tserraia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021

While running App Store launch the Activity Monitor app and type "Apps" in the search field. You should see one process called appstoreagent. Click the "X" in the upper left and select force quit appstoreagent process. This should allow updates temporarily, but once you quit the App Store or restart your Mac, the problem will reassert itself and you'll have to do the same process again.
Thank you very much !!! it worked here on my machine.

Now the next step is to definitely fix this problem.

In any case, I can update my applications.

tksss

liya1201

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2010

This problem is driving me crazy. Run across this thread while preparing to re-install Mojave. Thanks a million. This workaround worked!

Tserraia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
This problem is driving me crazy. Run across this thread while preparing to re-install Mojave. Thanks a million. This workaround worked!
I'm glad you saw our friend's tip and didn't need to reinstall MOJAVE !!!!

Reactions: liya1201

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I have noticed this issue and I assume it is some Mac App Store snafu on Apple's side as I have seen this several occasions before and each time it eventually cleared itself in a few days.

I even tried logging into another user account but no dice.

I have not bothered to try rwross's workaround yet.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I noticed that when rolling back to Mojave from Big Sur, that I also got that issue with the App Store giving me an "cancelled" error. I instead took measures and made a new Keychain that was made - for - and on Mojave.

I did this because I'm led to believe that there's some left over data that Mojave can do without when going from Big Sur and down to Mojave.

Fixed my issues right up. I'm now back on Big Sur, because reasons.

VMSwizard411

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC USA
Thanks for the workaround! It worked on 2 of the 3 updates that were waiting.

I had just yesterday spent an hour on the phone with Apple Support on this very issue. Ultimately, their final suggestions were to re-install Mojave, or to take my laptop to an Authorized repair shop??? Needless to say I opted out of both ideas for the time being and glad I did!

snipper

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2004
[about kill the appstoreagent tip]
Thank you so much!

This is a solution I can live with. Now at least I can update apps again.

That was not even my biggest problem. I could not install new apps. (Now LastPass is doing a hefty 'price admustment'). I wanted to try Enpass. Since more and more develops choose to distribute their apps exclusively via the Mac App Store, this is quite a dealbreaker.

BtW
I also had some quircks with this in the past. They ware often solved by simply changing from cable to wifi or back.. Weird, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.