Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I'm late to this thread, but this is good news. I am glad that Apple finally saw reason. If they had wanted to scan my photos on their servers after they've received a valid search warrant, then that was fine with me. Just don't install spying software on my property (my iPhone).

Now I can stop my consumer boycott of Apple, and I've gone back to my normal MR signature.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I think you're missing my point. I am explicitly saying the two aren't equivalent which is why it's interesting to think about.

The debate so far has been on hyperbolic arguments. Exploited children on one side, despots on the other. Holding up the one time a bad solution turned out good against the one time a good solution turned out bad.

The privacy concerns weren't hyperbole IMO. WHen the debate broke out, Apple foolishly published a roadmap (a technical document) of how to create such a system that could be followed by authoritarian governments. If a systems like this can detect photos of abused kids, then clones of the software could detect flags, memes, sections of text, spoken words, pictures from political meetings and protests, etc. All governments have to do is mandate that the spying software be installed on all mobile phones. And it is not like wiretapping because it uses the user's own phone CPU cycles and power to do the scanning, so tracking would no longer be through random sampling or targeted searches of phones, but universal surveillance. Sure, the immediate threat was small, but as a mentor once told me 'it's not f(x), but d(x)' (for those non-math folk - it's not how things are, but how things are changing that is important).

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
The privacy concerns weren't hyperbole IMO. WHen the debate broke out, Apple foolishly published a roadmap (a technical document) of how to create such a system that could be followed by authoritarian governments. If a systems like this can detect photos of abused kids, then clones of the software could detect flags, memes, sections of text, spoken words, pictures from political meetings and protests, etc. All governments have to do is mandate that the spying software be installed on all mobile phones. And it is not like wiretapping because it uses the user's own phone CPU cycles and power to do the scanning, so tracking would no longer be through random sampling or targeted searches of phones, but universal surveillance. Sure, the immediate threat was small, but as a mentor once told me 'it's not f(x), but d(x)' (for those non-math folk - it's not how things are, but how things are changing that is important).

I feel like people aren’t reading what I’m saying or I’m just really bad at saying it. I think I’ve repeated a few times now that I don’t think the concerns are hyperbole, but the arguments being made are. They are hyperbolic because they are trying to use extreme but narrow justifications to support or oppose solutions rather than looking at the bigger picture.

They also tend to misunderstand how Apple’s proposed technology, and authoritarian governments, work.

To save you having to scroll back on why I think the despot argument is weak:

A hash of known circulating CSAM provided by at least two child protection agencies operating under different governments. At least 30 matched known CSAM images must be detected before triggering an alert. Matches confirmed manually before notifying law enforcement.
What’s to stop them from insisting if Apple doesn’t deploy it? What’s to stop them from insisting it be implemented in a less narrow, transparent and secure way?

You’re making a slippery slope argument about regimes that wouldn’t hesitate to push someone off a cliff.
So now the question is what happens when one of those regimes you mention make end to end encryption on certain data illegal and use CSAM as the stalking horse. Apple has tried to address it in a way that undercuts the false pretext and prevents a fishing expedition but it blew back in their face. Now it's likely that they'll either be forced to play ball, or exit those markets and leave them to hollow companies who won't even make an effort to hold a line.

Last edited:
Reactions: VulchR

Playfoot

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
Well, this is good news . . . However, it should be remembered the technology exists. And in this day and age, especially post 9/11 when the world surrendered what remaining rights to privacy existed, it is impossible to know if the technology is NOT in use.

Not one to succumb to conspiracy theories, yet, this is one of the few times Apple has back tracked. And I find it odd after all this time for Apple to "announce" its intent. Pandora's box has been opened.

Reactions: VulchR

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
It really came down to this: some state actor hacker could modify Apple's CSAM scanning tools to look for subjects of a political nature. Given what's happening in China, no thank you.

Reactions: DaPhox

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Is Apple's CSAM really dead?

“Imagine my surprise when browsing these images in the Finder, Little Snitch told me that macOS is now connecting to Apple APIs via a program named mediaanalysisd (Media Analysis Daemon - a background process for analyzing media files).”

(Before I begin, just to say I thought the CSAM scanning idea was lunacy from the onset - the kind of nonsense that happens when you leave engineers unsupervised by people with actual social skills.)

I am not sure what mediaanalysisd does, but many commentators have pointed out that a process by that name has been around for years - long before the whole CSAM debacle. My guess is that it searches for duplicate pictures and tries to identify categories of pictures (e.g., to create 'moments'), but it'd be nice if somebody who actually knows what this process does to comment. I'd hate to have to return to my Apple consumer boycott and 1984 signature....

Anyway, I would much prefer that Apple fixed AutoIncorrect (spelling checker) than try to categorise my pictures.

Reactions: SFjohn

samwa3

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2018
Is Apple's CSAM really dead?

“Imagine my surprise when browsing these images in the Finder, Little Snitch told me that macOS is now connecting to Apple APIs via a program named mediaanalysisd (Media Analysis Daemon - a background process for analyzing media files).”

An article with an interesting premise and finding, but ultimately with little real insight. But, not that I expected more from Jeffrey.

Interesting also that in his "timeline" of CSAM scanning plans at Apple he left out the statement that this news topic is about. The one where Apple said: "We have further decided to not move forward with our previously proposed CSAM detection tool for iCloud Photos." in December 2022.

Instead he opted to only include a far earlier statement that indeed implied Apple would go ahead with their CSAM scanning plans, but just take some more time ("we have decided to take additional time over the coming months to collect input and make improvements before releasing these critically important child safety features.") from late 2021.

So, and now he found out something new about "mediaanalysisd" that nobody else knows about? Good thing he does no further research, but instead directly goes on to publish a blog post about it so people who are less critical start parroting him (just found this random comment: https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/u17hsa/_/j4vj0i8 LOL)

That's not to defend Apple. I'm also curious what information is sent to that API endpoint and why. And I'm eager to criticise them for it as soon as I know more. I also think the CSAM scanning plans are completely idiotic and violate our privacy rights (and yes, that of course includes what Microsoft, Google etc. are already doing with their cloud storage, which I don't touch with a 10 feet pole). But uhh, this blog post doesn't help with any of that.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
(Before I begin, just to say I thought the CSAM scanning idea was lunacy from the onset - the kind of nonsense that happens when you leave engineers unsupervised by people with actual social skills.)

I am not sure what mediaanalysisd does, but many commentators have pointed out that a process by that name has been around for years - long before the whole CSAM debacle. My guess is that it searches for duplicate pictures and tries to identify categories of pictures (e.g., to create 'moments'), but it'd be nice if somebody who actually knows what this process does to comment. I'd hate to have to return to my Apple consumer boycott and 1984 signature....

Anyway, I would much prefer that Apple fixed AutoIncorrect (spelling checker) than try to categorise my pictures.
I agree the CSAM scanning idea was really a bad idea from the start but I don't see a lot of people asking why would a supposedly privacy focused company do such a thing?

Apple must have understood that what it was proposing was an official back door into every Apple product? Whether the intent was good or not this goes completely counter to the idea of security and privacy. I don't have a problem with getting rid of CSAM but you had better not put a gaping security hole on my device and actively scan it which is a huge violation of my privacy.

My guess is that since Apple completely dependant on China and CCP for their entire supply chain or let's say at least 90% of it that the Chinese government approached Apple and asked for a feature to be built into the OS so they could scan their population devices for whatever their purposes are. Apple didn't want to implement this just in China as that would be a huge PR disaster so they tried to spin the purpose of the scanning and tied it to an issue that would be hard to argue against like CSAM.

Luckily there was enough pushback from people to stop it at least for now but I bet it will be implemented at some time.

They sold us the idea that cloud storage and icloud would be safe and secure and private to get buy in and now they have our data they can change the rules any time they want. They sold us devices saying they are safe and secure and private and give us a EULA that lets them do anything.

I used to trust Apple as the last vestige of privacy but I think because of the close integration with China and CCP those days are long gone.

I wish more people would wake up to the fact that Apple has changed in very deleterious ways. They have sold out their supposed core principles to a dictatorship that produces their products better and cheaper than anywhere else but atca cost that I believe is even too high for Apple itself.

Now Apple can't reverse course. They can't move their supply chain to India or Vietnam because the talent and infrastructure is just not there and not at a scale that China can offer.

I don't see that Apple is going to be a steward for privacy anymore and their services and ads are only increasing. Apple is becoming what they used to advertise against in the 80s.

I love my Apple products but I am at an inflection point where I am asking myself do I want to continue to support a company that no longer has any semblance of my ideals or best interest at heart. That increasingly aligns itself with a Communist dictatorship and has sold out it original principles.

I know Microsoft and Google are no better but at least I know what I am getting into with them and I am not sold an idea that doesn't exist anymore.

I have always been a multi platform user and I am seriously considering slowly decreasingly my reliance on Apple products and software.

I wonder how many other people share my perspective?

samwa3

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2018
A blog post that actually explores the issue: https://eclecticlight.co/2023/01/18/is-apple-checking-images-we-view-in-the-finder/ And I just checked Jeffrey's Mastodon... fun times. Won't share my further opinion here because I'd rather urge you to have a look at everything yourself and make up your own mind.

If the Live Text functionality running 100% on your local machine and not sending any output to Apple equates to "your Mac is now snitching on you", then words have lost all their meaning. Which is sad, because there are things that we need to criticise companies like Apple for. But "boy who cried wolf"-style bashing for every little assumed misstep will just lead to a state where people stop caring altogether.

Playfoot

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
I agree the CSAM scanning idea was really a bad idea from the start but I don't see a lot of people asking why would a supposedly privacy focused company do such a thing?

Apple must have understood that what it was proposing was an official back door into every Apple product? Whether the intent was good or not this goes completely counter to the idea of security and privacy. I don't have a problem with getting rid of CSAM but you had better not put a gaping security hole on my device and actively scan it which is a huge violation of my privacy.

My guess is that since Apple completely dependant on China and CCP for their entire supply chain or let's say at least 90% of it that the Chinese government approached Apple and asked for a feature to be built into the OS so they could scan their population devices for whatever their purposes are. Apple didn't want to implement this just in China as that would be a huge PR disaster so they tried to spin the purpose of the scanning and tied it to an issue that would be hard to argue against like CSAM.

Luckily there was enough pushback from people to stop it at least for now but I bet it will be implemented at some time.

They sold us the idea that cloud storage and icloud would be safe and secure and private to get buy in and now they have our data they can change the rules any time they want. They sold us devices saying they are safe and secure and private and give us a EULA that lets them do anything.

I used to trust Apple as the last vestige of privacy but I think because of the close integration with China and CCP those days are long gone.

I wish more people would wake up to the fact that Apple has changed in very deleterious ways. They have sold out their supposed core principles to a dictatorship that produces their products better and cheaper than anywhere else but atca cost that I believe is even too high for Apple itself.

Now Apple can't reverse course. They can't move their supply chain to India or Vietnam because the talent and infrastructure is just not there and not at a scale that China can offer.

I don't see that Apple is going to be a steward for privacy anymore and their services and ads are only increasing. Apple is becoming what they used to advertise against in the 80s.

I love my Apple products but I am at an inflection point where I am asking myself do I want to continue to support a company that no longer has any semblance of my ideals or best interest at heart. That increasingly aligns itself with a Communist dictatorship and has sold out it original principles.

I know Microsoft and Google are no better but at least I know what I am getting into with them and I am not sold an idea that doesn't exist anymore.

I have always been a multi platform user and I am seriously considering slowly decreasingly my reliance on Apple products and software.

Well, as I have stated previously, there is now no way to know if the technology is or is not in place....IF demanded by State actors as you note above, then said same entities have the ability to muzzle Apple's public acknowledgement.

samwa3

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2018
Well, as I have stated previously, there is now no way to know if the technology is or is not in place....IF demanded by State actors as you note above, then said same entities have the ability to muzzle Apple's public acknowledgement.
That is true insofar as there was never a way to know if the technology is or is not in place. Apple could even open-source every last line of code that was ever written under their control and we'd still have no way of knowing what an iPhone actually does that anybody has purchased. Technically, even Apple has no way of knowing as there's the possibility of someone in the supply chain or even inside the company sneaking things in without anybody else taking notice.

Question is: at what point is it still a reasonable assumption and when does it become a negligible technicality? Hard to say objectively, the only thing I'm certain about is that you can spin this all the way to the brain in a vat.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That is true insofar as there was never a way to know if the technology is or is not in place. Apple could even open-source every last line of code that was ever written under their control and we'd still have no way of knowing what an iPhone actually does that anybody has purchased. Technically, even Apple has no way of knowing as there's the possibility of someone in the supply chain or even inside the company sneaking things in without anybody else taking notice.

Question is: at what point is it still a reasonable assumption and when does it become a negligible technicality? Hard to say objectively, the only thing I'm certain about is that you can spin this all the way to the brain in a vat.
Do you really believe that some programmer could sneak any old code in IOS without a person in a responsible position knowing about it? That would be about the biggest black eye in terms of software development that a Silicon Valley tech company could get.

While everything is within the realm of possibility, imo, the probability is near zero that malware can be injected in ios without a person of responsibility knowing about it.

samwa3

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2018
Do you really believe that some programmer could sneak any old code in IOS without a person in a responsible position knowing about it?
The whole point I was making there is that this is an unreasonable assumption to make. So, no, I don't believe in that at all, to spell it out clearly.

Playfoot

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009

To be fair, I do not believe any CSAM application would come from the supply chain. I merely meant that as Apple announced the ability, it seems likely that some State actor would demand Apple keep the "back door" open for security.....Remember, even in the US, there are bodies much stronger, and much more secret, while being legal, than FISA courts.

samwa3

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2018
Remember, even in the US, there are bodies much stronger, and much more secret, while being legal, than FISA courts.
Surely these entities, if we assume for the sake of the argument that they have that amount of power, do not rely on Apple announcing something and then scrapping it again to get their scanning into the operating system? Why not just do it ... like, without any public announcements? Or is this some double psychology where telling people you're gonna scan their files and then not going through with it is supposed to make them trust you more than if you just never told them that?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

Seems like you are just speculating as to Apple's motives and their relationship with China. Apple just made iCloud data more secure, not less. You complain about advertising, but ads by themselves aren't a privacy violation.

Did you notice that nowhere in your post did you list any actions that Apple has actually taken that compromises the privacy and security of your data.

Reactions: CarlJ

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Thank you, Apple. CSAM was a joke. If privacy matters in your life, it should matter to the phone your life is on”. Long Live!

31837-53783-190703-Privacy-l.jpg

Except this would've only been if you uploaded such material to iCloud (iCloud ≠ iPhone). And if you read iCloud's terms of service, Apple always has and still has the right to look at your data there:

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 2.35.15 PM.png

As @BaldiMac pointed out, the exception to this is if you have Advanced Data Protection enabled:

But my main point is is seems many people were and are confusing those iPhone privacy claims with iCloud, which isn't the same thing.

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
So there’s no way for Apple to regain your trust?

Corporations basically never admit mistrakes these days, and certainly never eat crow. If Apple doing so isn’t enough to convince you that they actually do realize how stupid this was, what would be?

Can you point to a better alternative?

In today’s world, what Apple did took balls. It’s the right thing to do, and they at least deserve kudos for doing it.

If nothing else, you might want to think about the next time they screw up. Wouldn’t you want to not only have a stick to threaten them with, but also a carrot to reward them with so they have an incentive to turn around like they did here?

b&

While I don't agree that Apple was doing anything wrong to begin with, you're correct regarding the "trust" issue. No matter what large tech company you go with, there's eventually going to be something you don't like. It's unrealistic to jump ship every time that happens.

Reactions: Vlad Soare

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Except this would've only been if you uploaded such material to iCloud (iCloud ≠ iPhone). And if you read iCloud's terms of service, Apple always has and still has the right to look at your data there:

View attachment 2148193

To be clear, if you enable Advanced Data Protection, Apple can no longer access the encrypted data even in the face of a warrant. Your device would be needed to decrypt the data.

Reactions: CarlJ and usagora

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
To be clear, if you enable Advanced Data Protection, Apple can no longer access the encrypted data even in the face of a warrant. Your device would be needed to decrypt the data.

Thanks. I edited my post to clarify.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Seems like you are just speculating as to Apple's motives and their relationship with China. Apple just made iCloud data more secure, not less. You complain about advertising, but ads by themselves aren't a privacy violation.

Did you notice that nowhere in your post did you list any actions that Apple has actually taken that compromises the privacy and security of your data.
Well of course I am speculating.

No Ads are not a privacy violation but rather opposite of Apples business model since it's inception. I never said Ads were a privacy violation just extremely annoying. Also I always thought buying the extra cost of Apple products and their long time business model would protect me from Ads.

I also never said that Apple has compromised the privacy or security of my devices yet. If they would have implemented CSAM scanning it would have.

Seems like you are somehow conflating the direction Apple is going and attempts they have made with actual data privacy and security issues?

Of course as I have already stated they could at any time change the rules of the game and my privacy would look a lot different with Apple products.

The fact that Apple has said they won't track your app store purchases if you opt out only to find out they do track you either way is unsettling.

I like Apple software and hardware and I think they are the current best in terms of privacy and security. That doesn't mean that I approve of everything they do. Also because I want more privacy and security I am very critical of any move Apple makes that might hint they are changing their direction in terms of those two things.

What happens when there is no company that even offers an illusion of privacy and security anymore? I am not naive enough to think that my data is completely private or secure on the world wide web no matter the hardware or platform I use. I simply want as private and secure as I can get.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Well of course I am speculating.
That was my point. You made conclusions based on nothing but speculation.

No Ads are not a privacy violation but rather opposite of Apples business model since it's inception. I never said Ads were a privacy violation just extremely annoying. Also I always thought buying the extra cost of Apple products and their long time business model would protect me from Ads.
Fair enough. You brought up ads in the same sentence you were discussing privacy.

I also never said that Apple has compromised the privacy or security of my devices yet. If they would have implemented CSAM scanning it would have.
But they didn't.

Seems like you are somehow conflating the direction Apple is going and attempts they have made with actual data privacy and security issues?
Nope. I'm simply pointing out that you are saying that Apple is going a certain direction based on speculation, despite the fact that Apple has made definitive steps in the opposite direction.

Of course as I have already stated they could at any time change the rules of the game and my privacy would look a lot different with Apple products.
Anyone would look a lot different if they changed to look a lot different.

The fact that Apple has said they won't track your app store purchases if you opt out only to find out they do track you either way is unsettling.
I have no idea what that means. Of course Apple tracks your App Store purchases. The App Store wouldn't work if they didn't.

I like Apple software and hardware and I think they are the current best in terms of privacy and security. That doesn't mean that I approve of everything they do. Also because I want more privacy and security I am very critical of any move Apple makes that might hint they are changing their direction in terms of those two things.

What happens when there is no company that even offers an illusion of privacy and security anymore? I am not naive enough to think that my data is completely private or secure on the world wide web no matter the hardware or platform I use. I simply want as private and secure as I can get.
Apple has made many decisions that I disagree with, but their actions have been to move towards more privacy, not less. Advanced data protection protects most of your data from Apple, even in the face of a warrant. That's a huge step in a positive direction.

Reactions: CarlJ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.