Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
So apple tries to catch up in buying other companies. Takes time to integrate and get results. Seems not enough know how available in-house.
Can’t be too much for iOS 18.
It’s not catching up, Apple is pretty much only major player pushing for in device AI. It fits Apple strategy or Unified memory, and on device computing.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Meta released Llama3, I can run it on M1 Max locally using MLX. My Nvidia 4090 Workstation can only dream of running it. If Apple keeps on pushing On device strategy, iPhones and iPads may run lot of AI locally.

Last edited:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
It really would be interesting if in say 20 or 30 years someone writes a book... and we discover that Apple hadn't been designing anything for decades... they just had a department or division that bought designs or other companies 🤔
That book ain’t happening, because people in Apple R&D aren’t swatting flies.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
What happened to all those research papers about on device LLMs? Apple seems to have realised that developing a product is more difficult than writing papers? :)

SunMac

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2018
Apple could of been way ahead of the game if they would of spent more time working on Siri. They let Siri die a long time ago and now AI is in the fore front. Apple could of been leading it all and now they are playing catch up. I'm sure they will do fine though.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
More information about datakalab

Like mentioned in an earlier post this article is misleading about what datakalad offers, with trying to promote Mark Gurman's speculation that is not related.

Last edited:

rchornef

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2023
Here is an example of Apple M1 Max on device "AI" battery management. Base case: laptop in use 100% plugged in - after several days (!) goes to battery maintenance at 80%. This level is maintained over weeks - until laptop is disconnected for literally 2 seconds. Laptop now reverts to 100% charge for 24 hrs and counting.

It seems to me that the M1 Max laptop battery management actually an example of "artificial stupidity (AS)."

How complicated would it be to enable the USER to set these values? This user is left with the impression that Apple as a Corporation is not really interested in the management of laptop battery life. Isn't it obvious that the USER is the best judge of battery power management strategy?

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
IMG_7503.gif

Too obscure? If so, you need to see the video. Too funny.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
How complicated would it be to enable the USER to set these values? This user is left with the impression that Apple as a Corporation is not really interested in the management of laptop battery life. Isn't it obvious that the USER is the best judge of battery power management strategy?

LOL, Apple won’t even let the user fully control WiFi from the iPhone pull-down control panel.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
So apple tries to catch up in buying other companies. Takes time to integrate and get results. Seems not enough know how available in-house.
Can’t be too much for iOS 18.

Instead of developing the technology on its own, it purchases other startups.
Nothing wrong, mind you, but it says a lot about the company. Regard the IA Apple is clearly behind all the others, WWDC24 will be an important test for them. To see if it has still time to be part of this game or not.

Sad that apple can't make their own tech anymore

Nothing new here. Apple always buys companies to integrate new te h. They even acquired Siri this way.

d-klumpp

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2010
Chicago
All of those other companies buy startups, too. You just don’t pay attention because it’s not Apple. No tech conglomerate is doing it all on their own.
Or healthcare tech. Or Pharma. Often, beyond the expertise acquired, it's the IP position that's the important acquisition. It would've been nice if the article addressed the acquired firm's IP.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Apple could of been way ahead of the game if they would of spent more time working on Siri. They let Siri die a long time ago and now AI is in the fore front. Apple could of been leading it all and now they are playing catch up. I'm sure they will do fine though.

It's been a long slow downhill slide since the product leadership passed away and the Ops Guy has wrapped his tentacles into more and more places.

garbagefile13

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2024
Did everyone just forget about all the past acquisitions by Apple? It bought Siri, it bought Logic Pro, it bought facial recognition for iPhoto, it bought Final Cut Pro, it bought a number of companies in order to bring in-house expertise for iPod and iPhone development. Apple even needed to buy back Steve Jobs via NeXT. Don't get me wrong, Apple has done a ton of innovation, but strategic acquisitions played a big part in making that innovation happen. I don't see this being any different.

Dredd67

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
As a french guy, I'm quite proud seeing some recognition.
That being said, has anyone read the original articl, where they linked another how the society was built ?

The original Challenges article :

The link:

Useful excerpt :

Measurable data

An upheaval which has not escaped the marketing players. It is this niche that Datakalab, a neuromarketing consulting laboratory, has invested. “We are the alliance of technology and marketing” explains its president Anne-Marie Gaultier. “What we offer is emotional data and its interpretation: we want to give a human face to the data, it is a key to understanding the customer.” The one who was, among other things, the marketing director of Galeries Lafayette, founded Datakalab in early 2016 alongside Frank Tapiro, advertising executive and former advisor to Nicolas Sarkozy, but also the brothers Xavier and Lucas Fischer, more focused on the technical aspect.

Focus on Computer vision? Technically yes.
But for what purpose exactly? Maybe not what you think...

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Here is an example of Apple M1 Max on device "AI" battery management. Base case: laptop in use 100% plugged in - after several days (!) goes to battery maintenance at 80%. This level is maintained over weeks - until laptop is disconnected for literally 2 seconds. Laptop now reverts to 100% charge for 24 hrs and counting.

It seems to me that the M1 Max laptop battery management actually an example of "artificial stupidity (AS)."

I suspect they dont want users to set the charging thresholds because their target audience is users who basically dont care about such features... Apple just wants you to use it and not know/care about what's going on behind the scenes in the OS. Their "AI" or other algorithms for battery management regarding 80% charge limit dont work great... but at least if it is plugged in all the time... it does start limiting charge to 80%. Thats better than nothing.

Reactions: hans1972

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Aren’t there many major players pushing on-device AI? How did you come down to only Apple?
No one I know of (ChatGTP and the like all seem to require server side support). If you know any major player running their AI entirely on device, please enlight us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.