Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrDerby01

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
Anyone remember when Apple gave China the "Golden Key" for iCloud and iMessages? They can see everything in real time. Apple did not care about the people of China at all. "We were just following the law." and tried to say it was a hard long decision that had to be made..

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
iCloud is not a sewer. You can’t force Apple to accept fecal matter on iCloud willy nilly.

Triaging data in an anonymous, automated and local way is not outside the scope of what a cloud company may do.

Laws and morals changes by country and time, but last time I checked CP is universally reviled nowadays. Judge Apple if and when they abuse this. So far it’s just one more check, together with all the other things they check for to be able to find a dog or ice cream in your picture collection.

StrangeNoises

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
iCloud is not a sewer. You can’t force Apple to accept fecal matter on iCloud willy nilly.

Triaging data in an anonymous, automated and local way is not outside the scope of what a cloud company may do.

Laws and morals changes by country and time, but last time I checked CP is universally reviled nowadays. Judge Apple if and when they abuse this. So far it’s just one more check, together with all the other things they check for to be able to find a dog or ice cream in your picture collection.
This is not just (maybe not even) about what's on iCloud. This is about the OS scanning photos on the device, that *isn't* uploaded to iCloud.

Schismz

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
This is a horrendous idea with so many ways this tech could go wrong.

Limiting it to the U.S. is not a solution and it’s obtuse of Apple to think so. Apple needs to stop now. Get rid of the feature, both the iCloud and Messages versions. No one wants this.
That's too bad. Apple caved. They already gave up with end-to-end iCloud encryption last year, this is the beginning of the end of any semblance of privacy. I guess they're concerned with potential antitrust problems and need to help enable 1984 on our phones.

This was one of the primary reasons I liked Apple, being the customer, not the product. The solution to privacy is don't participate in the fully connected smart-home and internet of ****, leave your phone turned off and at home, and if you're concerned with privacy, don't connect that device to the internet. Brave new world. Hooray.

Wait ... how did I live without an iPhone?

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
This is not just (maybe not even) about what's on iCloud. This is about the OS scanning photos on the device, that *isn't* uploaded to iCloud.
Nope.
It’s a local labelling applied to pictures that are on the way to iCloud.
Otherwise nobody will ever know about this “CP or not” label.
Like a tree falling in a forest when no one is listening.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA

They can scan materials on their servers as much as they want. That leaves me a choice whether I upload anything or not. In fact, they have been doing just that for years:

What they are doing now is a new level of surveillance by forcibly installing what is effectively spyware on our devices and Macs.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
People are so confused about this.

Apple already scan your photos for
- trees
- dogs
- cats
- ice cream cones
- grass
- sky
- the Moon
- etc.

This is just one more scan, and it’s even less invasive because it’s not based on actual AI analysis of your photos but by comparing hashes of them to hashes of known certified CP. Apple’s not looking at your pics, just smelling them next to a turd and applying a super-precise 1-error-in-a-trillion “turd or not” label. It’s not a backdoor, or even looking for dogs and trees was a backdoor by this logic.

The difference is that this could get you suspended from iCloud and in some cases (is Apple supposed not to report a big pedo “whale”? really?) reported to authorities, but only for multiple offences.

This is like mask mandates and vaccines, a collective sacrifice to get this crap out of the internet. Of course there’s no silver bullet and companies experiment with way to approach this.

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
This doesn’t make me feel any better.

Governments (especially the US) have found that they can use Big Tech to get around the rights of their citizens. I remember when computers and the internet were supposed to be liberating. Now it seems they are turning into Big Brother.

How long before the US government passes laws requiring Apple to look for other illegal activities? Maybe look for group photos during the lockdowns?

Currently Apple has the hooks for this process at the point photos are uploaded to iCloud. Why couldn’t they move the hooks to when pictures are saved on your phone? That way everything is caught in this massive dragnet.

Heck, maybe they can expand it to scan what is displayed on the screen that way you can’t look at “wrong think”. Chrome already does to prevent phishing.

Edit: Tinfoil hat time. Maybe they are being forced by the government to put this in or be broken up via antitrust? Otherwise why wouldn’t they have announced this late Friday evening when fewer people would notice?

Last edited:

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
They can scan materials on their servers as much as they want. That leaves me a choice whether I upload anything or not. In fact, they have been doing just that for years:

What they are doing now is a new level of surveillance by forcibly installing what is effectively spyware on our devices.
You really prefer them to scan all of your pics once they’re already on their servers (maybe located in China if you’re a Chinese citizen) to them pre-labelling your pics in advance locally on your device?
These are pics that are on the way to their servers anyway. If you disable iCloud photos they won’t be labelled.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
Correct headline: Apple releases vague infographic failing to address any concerns, will consider if children in other countries are worth protecting too
They can’t do it any other countries (for now) because they know that opens a can of worms with authoritarian governments who spy on their citizens…

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

- trees
- dogs
- cats
- ice cream cones
- grass
- sky
- the Moon
- etc.

This is just one more scan, and it’s even less invasive because it’s not based on actual AI analysis of your photos but by comparing hashes of them to hashes of known certified CP. Apple’s not looking at your pics, just smelling them next to a turd and applying a super-precise 1-error-in-a-trillion “turd or not” label. It’s not a backdoor, or even looking for dogs and trees was a backdoor by this logic.

The difference is that this could get you suspended from iCloud and in some cases (is Apple supposed not to report a big pedo “whale”? really?) reported to authorities, but only for multiple offences.

This is like mask mandates and vaccines, a collective sacrifice to get this crap out of the internet. Of course there’s no silver bullet and companies experiment with way to approach this.
This one more scan will lead Apple to report you to Law Enforcement.

Too much risk is involved.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013

- trees
- dogs
- cats
- ice cream cones
- grass
- sky
- the Moon
- etc.

Those other scans are to provide the user with useful information and editing tools to improve the quality of their photos.

This scanning is to accuse the user of being a paedophile (or other kind of person deemed undesirable by an authority that can impact Apple's share price) and ruin their life.

Apple has already taken over 6 months to fix the problem of someone's surname being a series of letters they couldn't handle. I'm not inspired to trust them with interpretation of photos with legal ramifications.

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
This site is full of folks who sound like Republicans claiming that their personal freedom is being harmed in an attempt to do the right thing.

We must do our best to remove these images from circulation. This is a good idea. But no, people are crapping on it because FREEDUM!

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA

- trees
- dogs
- cats
- ice cream cones
- grass
- sky
- the Moon
- etc.

Apple isn't telling anyone but me when my photo has a tree in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.