Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
As the savings to be had winning the case. You spend more in lawyer fees. So. Not worth the effort. Other than to prove a point.
There's no way Apple would have spent anywhere near a half billion in lawyers' fees on this case.

As any corporation would do, they evaluated the likely outcomes and decided that paying the half-billion dollar settlement was the least-expensive of those outcomes.

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024
So Tim Cook accurately said iPhone growth was strong the previous quarter in China, then it slumped the next quarter. Am I missing something here?

Cook overstated demand for Apple’s products in China only to miss the revenue mark by $9b sixty days later. Cook also cut iPhone production a few days after exaggerating the success of new iPhone models. Apple ran the numbers and decided to settle the securities fraud action. They probably know best.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Yep he is just riding what’s left of Steve’s wave.

Agreed. I know some people have said they don't get the Tim Cook hate but what do you actually think the strategy is for the next decade for Apple, just iterative updates of the same products? It's served Apple well for over a decade since Steve Job's passing but eventually you have to do something different.

The company seems rudderless at the moment and is clearly in need of new direction.

Last edited:

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
I also wonder if they're afraid discovery would reveal anything that could negatively impact their reputation, even if it's legal.
That’s the only thing which Apple measures in Billions. 1/2 billion $$ are nothing if they can quietly pay them off and get back to business compared to worldwide loss of face if more worse things are brought forward in the court if the case prolongs. Apple’s lawyers with added Machine Learning AI algorithm must have deduced that paying 1/2 billion upfront.

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
Now for all the people that keep yelling Apple should quit its business in the EU. Guess what would happen to Tim and all the Apple staff when the shareholders loose 30% of their money …
Nothing, because you are never guaranteed any return on your investment.

Reactions: ToyoCorollaGR

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
$490 million is around 2 percent of Apple's quarterly net profit.
Yeah, but this, the EU and then who know how many other litigation they have going on like the one wi Masimo....

It adds up at the end of the month.
It might not seems like a lot now, but it still hurt a company to lose money no matter what.

Would you be willing to send me 2% of your income each month? use I can give you my account number :D

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
How much money is Apple hemorrhaging on average daily due to legal issues?
This, every week it seems, another suit, fine or settlement. I understand they “make it back” quickly but it’s still money out the door.

To them it is probably worth it to give up millions to make billions though.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
That's one costly oops.

Yep he is just riding what’s left of Steve’s wave.
It always seems like yesterday but at this point Cook's tenure is almost the same length as Steve Jobs second go at Apple.
And it doesn't seem he will be quitting anytime soon.

Last edited:

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Ridiculous lawsuit. I don’t understand where the fraud was. Was the 11/1 quarter reporting 16% growth in China inaccurate? Was the guidance inaccurate? He came out in January early to update their projections, which was clearly driven by economic headwinds in China because it didn’t just affect Apple. I think around that time they also stopped reporting iPhone total numbers.

Apple's share price dropped around 25% between November 1, 2018 and January 31, 2019.

I remember this time — January was ugly — from about $220 to $145 in almost a straight line. Price today would be $680 without the split.

Reactions: riomp300

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
The only ones that actually benefitted from this in any meaningful monetary way are the lawyers.

God bless the legal system

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Seriously why is this man still in a job?

Also well done Norfolk County Council!

I hadn't really considered that the class action would include representatives from UK pension funds:

In a statement, the Norfolk Pension Fund said it was "very proud of this recovery for investors."

The statement continued: "We are mindful that we are stewards of pensions relied upon by thousands of families and individuals. When and where it's warranted, we will take decisive action to recover losses when our participants' investments are harmed by fraud."

The case was originally brought against Apple and Mr Cook by the US city of Roseville. Norfolk Council, which administers the £4.9bn Norfolk Pension Fund, took over the lawsuit as lead plaintiff in 2020. – source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68580235

So the impact of what happened here would likely have a detrimental financial effect on ordinary UK citizens, purely from them having a pension from a Norfolk County Council job.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Cook overstated demand for Apple’s products in China only to miss the revenue mark by $9b sixty days later. Cook also cut iPhone production a few days after exaggerating the success of new iPhone models. Apple ran the numbers and decided to settle the securities fraud action. They probably know best.
You're misrepresenting what happened. The first call, Tim Cook didn't overstate the demand. He shared raw data of the growth from the previous quarter. Now I guess you can say he "overstated" what the demand would be the next quarter, but it was just a forecast. It's not like they were lying about current demand. If anything, I think they were more transparent than they needed to be with their letter to investors, almost a full month before the earnings were announced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.