Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
As I mentioned in another post, prices will eventually reach parity through manufacturing efficiencies realized in the USA over time.

Apple could have easily invested in USA production facilities instead of spending so much money on share buybacks and a showpiece corporate campus.

And to your point, if manufacturing is going to be automated, I’d rather have it automated here in the USA. There are a lot of jobs involved in automation. Those jobs should be here, not China.

Again, margins over morals.
It really isn't that simple. I don't believe any country has the electronics manufacturing infrastructure that China has these days. Many companies are looking to move, or at least divest, manufacturing out of China but that's proving almost impossible.

The biggest point that seems to be missing is that APPLE IS NOT A MANUFACTURER. They haven't been for DECADES, pre-Time Cook, pre-Steve Jobs (return). Yes, it is good that they are taking the responsibility for their supply chain. Yes, they should be held accountable by the media, but the truth is they are still one of the best and most responsible tech companies operating today.

Reactions: Detnator

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
As I mentioned in another post, prices will eventually reach parity through manufacturing efficiencies realized in the USA over time.

Apple could have easily invested in USA production facilities instead of spending so much money on share buybacks and a showpiece corporate campus.

And to your point, if manufacturing is going to be automated, I’d rather have it automated here in the USA. There are a lot of jobs involved in automation. Those jobs should be here, not China.

Again, margins over morals.

The problem with modern capitalism is zero value is associated with providing a living for people. A company that paid every one of its employees millionaire salaries but then finished each year with zero profit would be considered a massive failure, whereas one that pushes all of its employees into de facto poverty and rewarded its CEO and handful of shareholders with billion dollar bonuses would be hailed as a huge success.

At this point the wealth inequality is beyond simple greed and is just spiteful evil. Tim Cook cannot possibly spend the money he's paid in 10 lifetimes yet he still wants to grind every cent out of his customers and employees as a perverse power play.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
And after that, people might come to realise Apple as a company doesn't have such a culture by accident. A bit of research and this kind of hubris is what runs the modern economy. Will that change any time soon?
Nothing will change, because people are willing to accept this and shell their cash away for the new toy every year. Consumerism.

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
I remember when Apple was part of a coalition of corporations advocating for a substantial change in the corporate social norm away from strictly appeasing shareholders, and being more humanitarian.

...sigh... Those where the good ol’ days. :oops:
[doublepost=1568034978][/doublepost]
Apple only cares when they're caught because it makes them look bad.

If Apple was really concerned and cared about making sure their contractor's employees were treated fairly and "with dignity and respect," they could staff several of their own employees at Foxconn during the ramp up period to make sure Apple's high standards are being adhered to by Foxconn.

As it is now, Apple's letting the Fox(conn) guard the hen house.
That’s what I was thinking. Why doesn’t Apple have its own undercover employees?

Reactions: PC_tech and 5105973

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I remember when Apple was part of a coalition of corporations advocating for a substantial change in the corporate social norm away from strictly appeasing shareholders, and being more humanitarian.

...sigh... Those where the good ol’ days. :oops:

You fell for what was a PR stunt!

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
Apple just didn't make a small mistake, they made a major one. The limit is 10% and Apple hired 50%. HALF of the workforce is temp workers.

Apple clearly knew what they were doing here. That's crazy that they think they could get away with half their workforce being temps.

Not crazy, they probably did get away with it in prior years.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
It’s Foxconn and China, Apple just uses them because it makes sense from a business perspective. I bet 90%+ of the people outraged by this don’t actually care, they only pretend to care because Apple is in the headline.
It's that why apple outsourced the work for listening to Siri recordings? Hopping to brush off the blame.

Reactions: IPPlanMan

MarkB786

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2016
USA
Why should anyone be surprised and this is why many companies manufacture products there to cut cost and maximize profit.

I think Apple fans might be "surprised' that their "can do no wrong" company is actually much like any other company. Labor, privacy, and quality have all been brought into question over just a few short weeks.

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
If I had to, I would pay more to have these phones built in the United States, by American workers.

If Apple cared more about its morals than its margins, they would build them in the United States.

It’s clear where Tim Cook stands on this. All their PR talk about civil rights and human rights idols rings hollow given their work with China. It’s a Corporate farce and the joke’s on us.

Shame on you Tim.

Omg, this again??!!
*sigh*
These jobs are ALL headed towards automation.
The hallmark of a 1st world country in the very near future will be how few of their citizens are forced to perform menial labor...
Unless you are calling for America to lose its status as a world leader, & embrace garbage jobs en masse, right as it becomes most important to do precisely the opposite- I’m unsure your endgame here.
To me: it is absolutely un-American, unpatriotic (and honestly, a bit mean) to want these jobs performed here.
I’m sure YOU don’t want to do assembly work in a factory, having your livelihood based on something nobody wants to do & is well on its way to being fully automated. I’m sure you don’t want your children/loved ones to be in that situation either.
Are you just imagining some faceless “poor” doing your bidding??
I’d be careful about the finger pointing and attempt at publicly shaming others, when your suggestion is at odds with altruism, realism, & everything a positive technology-driven “world AI leader” future for this great country would look like.

Reactions: Detnator

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
For a moment let's focus on the bigger picture and not individual companies or even specific industries. There is a huge problem with the current mindset, focus, obsession...call it what you will...with the mantra of "growth at all cost". No longer is it acceptable, feasible or even wanted (by hedge funds, stockholders, Wall Street) for a good company (big or small sized) making excellent products in an ethical and honest manner, treating its employees with respect and decent remuneration to want to continue to do so without trying to grow / expand. This is the cancer of the current capitalism model and it will lead nowhere good.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
It's that why apple outsourced the work for listening to Siri recordings? Hopping to brush off the blame.

Think for a moment. What kind of education/skills do you need to do that or the jobs mentioned in the article? Exactly, basically just have a pulse and you can do it. Why would anyone pay more than $10-12/hour for those menial tasks? Most of the assembly jobs will be replaced by automation at some point or we will go to another country that has cheap labor.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
Omg, this again??!!
*sigh*
These jobs are ALL headed towards automation.
The hallmark of a 1st world country in the very near future will be how few of their citizens are forced to perform menial labor...
Unless you are calling for America to lose its status as a world leader, & embrace garbage jobs en masse, right as it becomes most important to do precisely the opposite- I’m unsure your endgame here.
To me: it is absolutely un-American, unpatriotic (and honestly, a bit mean) to want these jobs performed here.
I’m sure YOU don’t want to do assembly work in a factory, having your livelihood based on something nobody wants to do & is well on its way to being fully automated. I’m sure you don’t want your children/loved ones to be in that situation either.
Are you just imagining some faceless “poor” doing your bidding??
I’d be careful about the finger pointing and attempt at publicly shaming others, when your suggestion is at odds with altruism, realism, & everything a positive technology-driven “world AI leader” future for this great country would look like.

First of all, no job that provides for yourself or your family is a garbage or menial job. Your stated belief on this is an arrogant and condescending way to look at the world and at the people who work these jobs to take care of themselves and others. Anyone who puts in a hard day’s work for whatever it pays has my respect and admiration.

I will do what I have to do to provide for myself and my family, so yes, I would work this job, but with worker protections that you find in America.

You have to make a decision about what you believe here because you’re expressing cognitive dissonance:

You’ve said these are garbage, menial jobs. However, you’re apparently ok with Chinese people doing these jobs in China... because that way it’s off your conscience. You can’t have it both ways.

On the other hand, I would support having these jobs here in the USA, with appropriate worker protections. Apple is an American company. It should bring these jobs back to the States.

And if things go the way of automation, that should happen here, not in China. There are jobs involved in automation you know.

Reactions: PC_tech and 5105973

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
No way! Only Apple able to make maximum profits due to low manufacturing cost.... remember Apple takes 9% Mobile phone profits than its competitors....

But modern day slavery is like this temporary workers, Asian manufacturing hub, worst working condition, dealing with hazardous work environments.....at lowest cost! When mistakes happen, there is always supplier issue, supplier components issue but when things go well, it is due to well knitted and integrated ecosystem of hardware and software
It is lower labor cost and benefits. If it were low manufacturing cost, it would be produced in the U.S. Just look at the number of employees hired to assemble the iPhones.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
I think Apple fans might be "surprised' that their "can do no wrong" company is actually much like any other company. Labor, privacy, and quality have all been brought into question over just a few short weeks.
I agree and you will always be accused of being an Android fanboy or posting on the wrong forum.

Reactions: PC_tech

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Just a whiff of homophobia from your use of the "in the closet' phrase?

You can confirm that when Apple release the new Lavender/Lilac phone in a few days with a "for THOSE people" quip...

I'd be pretty sure Apple staff including the CEO keep their reports, even damning ones, electronically or in a locked drawer.
Or, y'know, it’s simply the English idiom to have skeletons in one's cupboard/closet. It says a lot about you that you jump to the assumption it’s a reference to Tim being gay, and then double down with proclamations about what the next slur will be.

In this case, you’re the prejudiced one.

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
For a moment let's focus on the bigger picture and not individual companies or even specific industries. There is a huge problem with the current mindset, focus, obsession...call it what you will...with the mantra of "growth at all cost". No longer is it acceptable, feasible or even wanted (by hedge funds, stockholders, Wall Street) for a good company (big or small sized) making excellent products in an ethical and honest manner, treating its employees with respect and decent remuneration to want to continue to do so without trying to grow / expand. This is the cancer of the current capitalism model and it will lead nowhere good.
Must be etched in Gold
[doublepost=1568044271][/doublepost]
Here's another reason why Apple cannot bring iPhone manufacturing to the U.S.

Foxconn cannot so easily exploit their workers, and Apple cannot easily look the other way.

Is it not true that Apple has substantial stakes in Foxconn??

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Meh. The only thing I found shocking was that China has labor laws.:eek: I thought they didn't care about anything except the almighty dollar/yuan. This is the place that makes fake rice (plastic and potato starch), fake eggs (I don't even want to know), fake anything, for a buck. Someone manage to violate those labor laws is even more shocking.

People can claim Apple ain't responsible all they want; they're responsible. As the old adage goes, "You are judge by the company you keep." Birds and feathers and flocking...all that good stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.