Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
IBM Germany is one of 5 partners that will host BlackBerry BES10 in Europe to make it more affordable and maintenance free for small/medium business and organizations.

This is a possible indication that Apple+IBM partnership in enterprise will steer more to prosumer side than full mayhem big enterprise clients.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
hey I'm just going on what the man himself said. If you want to call him a liar feel free but I'm not joining in.

There is always a lot between what is said and lying.

5 people on the team have five different takes on the name.

But what is very clear is that they worked for a company called SRI and chose the name SIRI which seems unlikely to be a coincidence

More here...

"Once Siri became the leading candidate, everyone on the team had their own favorite explanation of the meaning. Dag Kittlaus, our Norwegian-American CEO, once considered using Siri as the name of his child and liked the Norse meaning “beautiful woman who leads you to victory.” For me, Siri, which means “secret” in Swahili, was a tip of the hat to our pre-named days when we began as stealth-company.com. I also liked the fact that it was the reverse of Iris, a software system I helped build as part of the CALO project which Siri spun out of. Some liked the resemblance to SRI, which was the research institute that ran the CALO project. We knew about Siri = beauty in Sinhalese, but missed that SHIRI = “butt” in Japanese (they’re not the same word, but closely pronounced…)"

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
IBM is still relevant?

No, not really...unless you are talking

Servers
Data Centers
Super Computers
Mainframes
Large scale IT projects
Power Grids
Enterprise
Microchip foundries
Processors
Business consulting
Medical research
Smart Grids
Defense contracting.

Other than that IBM doesn't really matter.

----------

It's hard to me to believe IBM has anything to offer Apple.
IBM enterprise services are kind of a joke.

Are you kidding?

----------

Yes, that's why IBM is a multi-billion dollar company....because their services are a joke. :rolleyes:

A huge joke!

Back to being serious.

I used to work for IBM, they are some of the best and brightest in the industry.

IBM is probably the only real door Apple h as to get into Enterprise. We'll see how it goes.

iplayerboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
Thats said truly by G51989! When we talk about a lot of servers, Data Centers & Databases, IBM is the big name that someone can count upon.. Apple really can make a big mark together with the Business Machines Giant. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.