Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stunning_Sense4712

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2021
I hope this doesn't mean the rest of the security will become weaker or relaxed. Would suck having to default to this mode to really keep security.
This feature is for high risk people who would be considered high value targets of nation states which most people would not fall under that category. Sadly journalists in the US might need to enable this feature as well to protect their government sources who blow the whistle on wrongdoing.

Stunning_Sense4712

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2021
None of this matters if the EU’s regulations are complied with. As soon as third party routes onto iPhone exist, apps (from the likes of meta, bytedance, alphabet, Microsoft, etc.) with be made available solely through these means to avoid Apple’s cut and their rules. Anyone who has to use these such apps won’t have a choice but to bypass iOS’s safety rules.
EU’s regulations would not effect lockdown mode since the user has to turn on this mode and accepts the restricts that come with that mode enabled.

Reactions: RalfTheDog

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
I hope this doesn't mean the rest of the security will become weaker or relaxed. Would suck having to default to this mode to really keep security.
I highly doubt it.

The lockdown mode seems to be a brute force take on security where features, interfaces and apps are disabled - whatever it takes for absolute security.

The "regular security" is about keeping all the features and apps and trying to deal with all the security vulnerabilities they inevitably open up.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Apple is often "late" to the game, but they usually do a bang-up job of this kind of stuff when they finally launch their services. MobileMe obviously not a great example of that, but in terms of their mobile OS, security features, etc... I'm usually pretty impressed with the things they come up with. They may not be first to the dance, but they're often the best dressed.

Reactions: RalfTheDog and mhnd

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Some of this looks potentially usable for my use but not all of it. Be nice if you could select what options you want.
Even better would be if you could use 3rd party options in place of.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
It would be nice if some of these things could be configured. If they are known higher risk, then why can't we disable some things we don't care about?
If you are a target and you allow a single opening to your security, you have no security. The best you can hope for is, no one cares about the data on your phone or where you are at.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Ha glad to see I'm not the only one whose first thought was "why wouldn't I just use this all the time?" Most of the things it blocks, I didn't want anyway.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Am I correct in assuming that this means that devices such as GrayKey would be ineffective when this function is turned on?
I’m not sure, as I think GreyKey bypasses the os completely.
It feeds into user choice. If I have the choice to be more secure than stock iOS, then give me the choice to side load too.
It’s really not the same thing, at all. Making an option to let a secure os be more secure, isn’t the same as opening holes which have the potential to invalidate it all, regardless of settings.

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019
EU’s regulations would not effect lockdown mode since the user has to turn on this mode and accepts the restricts that come with that mode enabled.
But when you have to use an app for work that is only available through third party app stores, lockdown mode wouldn't be an option if it blocked that.

Reactions: mhnd

Havoc035

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2021
But when you have to use an app for work that is only available through third party app stores, lockdown mode wouldn't be an option if it blocked that.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Lockdown mode will not let you install or run apps from any other source than the App Store. It would arguably make sense too.

Reactions: Daedalus65 and mhnd

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
There’s not a snowball’s chance in hell of that being the case.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
How about text messages and phone calls from senders not in your contact list are automatically rejected? I'd LOVE that one...
Loving the Lockdown mode feature!

The spam calls do remain silent on my phone, love that feature. It would be great if it never showed up on my phone at all...and have these losers never hit my voicemail.

Now...the spam texts....Unless there is some feature I am missing, I get these often with the "Ding" notification. Lot of political junk...this will ramp up to the point of utter annoyance near November for me & many others, and just random numbers saying "hi friend" or other meaningless junk.

IDK. Is there ANY way to shut that down...or no.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
This is fantastic, not a feature I knew I needed but if I ever do it’s great to have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.