Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cognizant.

Suspended
May 15, 2022
Inspector Gadget mode incoming?
Also if we get an Extreme lockdown mode, what about Sideload mode? If you swing the pendulum in one direction (towards extreme security) how about letting it swing in the other direction (to let me install 3rd party apps like say Wifi Explorer)?
That would literally be the exact opposite of security. Why would Apple go in the exact opposite direction when this is their focus?

Reactions: mhnd

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Wow this just seems really pleasant. No people I don't know, no attachments. Leisure at last.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Loving the Lockdown mode feature!

The spam calls do remain silent on my phone, love that feature. It would be great if it never showed up on my phone at all...and have these losers never hit my voicemail.

Now...the spam texts....Unless there is some feature I am missing, I get these often with the "Ding" notification. Lot of political junk...this will ramp up to the point of utter annoyance near November for me & many others, and just random numbers saying "hi friend" or other meaningless junk.

IDK. Is there ANY way to shut that down...or no.
SMS filtering apps are available on iOS. You find one you like in the app store, you give it SMS filtering access, and it will filter SMS and block spam, the problem is that good filtering apps will charge you money.

The standard iOS SMS filtering just puts SMS into groups like contacts and unknown senders.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
I think CarPlay would be disable…

This would probably impact a lot of people.
I could live with that if the toggle was added to shortcuts and could turn it off when plugged into the car 🤣 (yes I know that would defeat the point)

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
I could live with that if the toggle was added to shortcuts and could turn it off when plugged into the car 🤣 (yes I know that would defeat the point)
It turns off USB when the phone is locked (there’s also a setting for this already and I use it, although it’s more that it has a timeout of a few hours from the last time the phone was unlocked). You just unlock your phone, for me i use FaceID and I just point my phone at my face before plugging it into Carplay.

The lockdown mode version will probably make you unlock the phone every time to use USB.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Am I correct in assuming that this means that devices such as GrayKey would be ineffective when this function is turned on?
Whatever greykey we know from news May no longer work, but there’s no telling the revised version doesn’t work with this lockdown feature turned on.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I wouldn’t be surprised if Lockdown mode will not let you install or run apps from any other source than the App Store. It would arguably make sense too.
Or even all sources including App Store for that matter. It’s not difficult for state sponsored attackers to sneak in spyware into a version of the app people may use regularly in App Store and apple would not be aware of it until it is too late.

I’d imagine this feature would only allow installation of applications from absolutely trusted sources, which can be, you know, sideloading an app package that is compiled and validated for security purposes. App Store is not really a “trusted source” for those vulnerable people.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Talking about the lockdown mode and block wired connections, how about providing hardware switches like some of those Linux phones so you can physically Turn off features and no software would have access to it? This “lockdown mode” however nice it might sound, is still controlled by software, which will always have bugs and vulnerabilities of their own.

Also, one major gripe of me using the iPhone iPad etc is I have no access of some of those crazy detailed control only apple has access to (like group policy on windows). I don’t think this lockdown mode is even remotely close to that.

And, blocking wired connection specifically? Well, remotely attacking your device without you even knowing is even scarier. I’d argue this lockdown mode should default disable all wireless connections but the one user wants to enable and with configurable timeout period. A device that cannot be connected in any way shape or form would be more secure. I feel Apple is mostly just testing water here instead of actually caring about user security.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krizoitz

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Be glad you’re not one of those the feature is intended for.
You’re concerned about first world problems while there are people genuinely scared for their lives from their very own government coming at them with everything they got. The journalists who expose government scandals for example.
I'm concerned about security and data integrity. That is the same problem that journalists, political targets, victims of illegal tracking all face too. The only thing that sideloading ensures is another attack surface we don't need.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
EU: please allow developer XY to access lockdown mode even tho … ITS IN THE NAME
Apple should just tell them "no." Same if they try to kill encryption. And then force citizens into such an uproar that they change course.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
It feeds into user choice. If I have the choice to be more secure than stock iOS, then give me the choice to side load too.
Disagree. Apple's model is a tight, locked down device with limited app sources to control the user experience as best they can. I don't like that model so I don't use iOS. I use Android. I get a different (in some respects better, but in others worse) experience as a result.

I appreciate having a platform that is strict and locked down like iOS that competes with Android. I just wish there were more options for OSes like Windows Phone on the market still.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
You apple apologists always saying choose android for sideloading and iOS should remain locked down. Well the EU disagrees with you! Just a matter of time now.
People like you don’t want to understand that you want iOS to be something that it isn’t. And you ignore the people who are fine with Apple’s current approach to iOS.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
People like you don’t want to understand that you want iOS to be something that it isn’t. And you ignore the people who are fine with Apple’s current approach to iOS.
I truly don’t get the insistence of trying to bend something that is naturally or purposely designed to be yellow be forced to green or red or any other color.

While at the same time there are other naturally or purposely designed elements of the desired color ready to pick.

It’s like forcing bikes to have four wheels… instead of just picking a car that already has four wheels.

I have to say that at some point is just a power trip, bending and forcing people for the sake of bending and forcing people…

One real example that soon might go away: yesterday on the Mac, I get a notification to update PixelmatorPro, apple’s Pages, and a bunch of other apps from the Mac AppStore… got it all done with an Update All button. Not only that, the servers for apple apps tend to be super fast. Easy peasy, convenient eh?

I also had to update photoshop and after effects from the dreaded CreativeCloud app that has like 5 processes unrelated to it always crawling and using CPU and memory, takes forever to download and install.
I also had to hunt down some DisplayLink update that I receive through email… and a Maxon One update that always insists on me typing the username and password even if I typed it 3 hours ago.

For some reason, I don’t know why, there are A LOT of people here defending the less convenient, convoluted, crowded, slow, more insecure, non-notarized at times way of downloading apps… I can only conclude that these people are not actual Apple ecosystem users, because there’s just no way to convince me that the third party stores, like the creative cloud way, is better. And not only that! We are clapping and cheering that there are governmental entities forcing it to be the less desirable way!

The future is going to be fun I must say. 🍿

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
This mode is useful for those who only use phones for regular calls and texts. Apple should expand this mode into something like "simple mode" or something. Turn off the extras that people don't need. I wonder if it improves the phone's battery life as well. Might be useful for iPhone SE users.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
For some reason, I don’t know why, there are A LOT of people here defending the less convenient, convoluted, crowded, slow, more insecure, non-notarized at times way of downloading apps… I can only conclude that these people are not actual Apple ecosystem users, because there’s just no way to convince me that the third party stores, like the creative cloud way, is better. And not only that! We are clapping and cheering that there are governmental entities forcing it to be the less desirable way!

The future is going to be fun I must say. 🍿
100%

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
This feature is for high risk people who would be considered high value targets of nation states which most people would not fall under that category. Sadly journalists in the US might need to enable this feature as well to protect their government sources who blow the whistle on wrongdoing.

In that case expect this Apple feature to be eventually banned (outlawed) in nations that have a recent history of suppressing, harassing, spying on, or outright killing journalists, whistleblowers and free press: Saudi Arabia, China, Russia, Iran, Israel, USA

Reactions: jons and RalfTheDog

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
You apple apologists always saying choose android for sideloading and iOS should remain locked down. Well the EU disagrees with you! Just a matter of time now.
Not really. Apple always had a long term plan to change from lightning to USB-C so that works out for them. But they won't be sideloading until they are ready to cannibalize iOS for realityOS. ~ 4 years from now

Reactions: zzu

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
SMS filtering apps are available on iOS. You find one you like in the app store, you give it SMS filtering access, and it will filter SMS and block spam, the problem is that good filtering apps will charge you money.

The standard iOS SMS filtering just puts SMS into groups like contacts and unknown senders.
They are all major security threats. Why let an additional layer of software see your messages.
Just use one device for everything important and one device for playing music in your car.
Talking about the lockdown mode and block wired connections, how about providing hardware switches like some of those Linux phones so you can physically Turn off features and no software would have access to it? This “lockdown mode” however nice it might sound, is still controlled by software, which will always have bugs and vulnerabilities of their own.

Also, one major gripe of me using the iPhone iPad etc is I have no access of some of those crazy detailed control only apple has access to (like group policy on windows). I don’t think this lockdown mode is even remotely close to that.

And, blocking wired connection specifically? Well, remotely attacking your device without you even knowing is even scarier. I’d argue this lockdown mode should default disable all wireless connections but the one user wants to enable and with configurable timeout period. A device that cannot be connected in any way shape or form would be more secure. I feel Apple is mostly just testing water here instead of actually caring about user security.
One of the biggest security threats is fake chargers in places such as airports. One of the other major threats is, having your phone fall into the hands of bad actors, plugging it into a Lightning port and jacking your OS. It's not impossible, but it is much harder to do those kinds of things with modern Bluetooth.

Re: Bad Actors getting your phone, can you imagine William Shatner walking off with your device?

I would be tempted to use one of my phones for dealing with sensitive data and another for things like navigation and such. This is because, at the moment, I am less worried about having my physical location tracked. After the midterms in November, I might reevaluate.

Reactions: zzu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.