Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Appreciate the discussion about M1 owners upgrading. I thought about getting the M2 when they released, as I liked the form factor, midnight color, and magsafe, but that wasn't enough to upgrade. Told myself I'd wait till the M3. Now the M3 is here, I'm having second thoughts, for much of the reasons listed above. I'm a casual user on my MBA, mainly web browsing. Not sure I need to drop $1299 (I need 512GB hdd) for the minor improvements. Guess I'm waiting another 20 months before considering an upgrade. Might as well ride this M1 into the ground.
Yeah, why not wait? I always encourage folks to wait until they really need the update. There’s no prize for having the newest m3 MacBook Air.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
My family has two M1 MBA, one M1 iPad Pro, I use a work MBP 16" M1 Pro, and just purchased a M2 15" MBA to replace my 2019 MBP 15" i9 which had thermal issues from day 1.

Honestly the M2 Air is no better than the M1 Air. Comparatively, my M1 Pro (w/ 32GB RAM) feels the most sluggish of all since it's plugged into an external display. When it's unplugged, even on low power mode, it feels quicker than the M2 for obvious reason.

The biggest benefit of the M2 over all of them (with M1 MBA a close second) is/are software updates/upgrades.

My corporate-managed work M1 Pro is a nightmare.
Huh. I wonder if that’s a pro vs max GPU core issue. Mine with two monitors attached doesn’t feel sluggish at all.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
It shifts menus to the right, but removes status items altogether if needed.
Ah, then you need Bartender to manage those app icons. I’ve been using Bartender since before I ever got a MB with a notch because those icons were proliferating like tribbles. It does a great job of giving you control over them and to move the lower priority ones to a hidden panel.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Ah, then you need Bartender to manage those app icons. I’ve been using Bartender since before I ever got a MB with a notch because those icons were proliferating like tribbles. It does a great job of giving you control over them and to move the lower priority ones to a hidden panel.

Yeah, if it ever does bug me enough, I might spring for a utility like that.

(It wouldn’t fix the “some menus are on the right” part, though.)

Either way, it doesn’t really keep me up at night. It is, otherwise, a fantastic machine.

Reactions: Tagbert

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
What I meant was Apple are trying to showcase their M3 against the Intel laptops is like comparing an F1 car's capabilities to one from the 1990's. Obviously it is leaps and bounds in terms of performance and there are comparing it to the Items chips to sound better. "60x speed's compared to Intel" sounds more convincing in a sales and marketing term compared to "a little faster than an M2 chip but not by much".

Apple are beginning to milk the cow as hard as they can, compromising on innovation.

I see. That sounds like one way to take it. Another way to take it is that M2 owners are not in the user groups targeted for an upgrade: so the marketing campaign is to further move folks off Intel to AppleSil

uploaded

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2009
sigh. . . old man here, remember using a TRS80 with a cassette tape deck for storage. If you stored anything, you had to remember the number on the tape recorder to find it again. And then keep a running log to make sure that you didn't overwrite something. View attachment 2356356
Thanks for the picture my friend! The Tandy RadioShack TRS80 was my first computer!
A friend brought it to Germany from the USA back then (1984?) - I made my first BASIC experiences with it and loaded games and programs from the cassette tape deck. A great experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.